Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Nervous about the WBS bag tek (eatyualive)
    #1424562 - 04/02/03 11:50 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

OK, I just talked to a friend who has this genius chinchilla doing mycology experiments in his basement and this is what he told me:

Last night the chinchilla took his 3 pint jars of fluffy colonized rye and transferred them one each into plastic ziploc freezer bags as per the lazy mofo bag tek specifies. He did this in his glove box which had been washed with bleach, sprayed with lysol, and wiped down with alcohol inside the glove box every step of the way. He then mushed up the colonized rye inside the bag (still in glove box) to maximize innoculation points. Next he added to each bag one quart of sterilized WBS (6T tek). He closed the bags, mixed them all up real good, and put them back in his incubator. He used a needle to poke a few holes in each bag, but was nervous about this because any movement of the bags could suck in contaminated air from outside.

Tonight the chinchilla peeked at the bags to check 24-hour progress. The rye appeared slightly fluffy as if starting to recover. What concerns the chinchilla most is that the bags were showing heavy condensation above the substrate. Small water droplets were all over the inside of the bag. Now, the chinchilla said the WBS was definitely not too wet - it poured in nice and loose. He is worried that this condensation is not normal and may invite serious contams. Did he not poke enough holes? Is this normal? The chinchilla told my friend he is very nervous and his hair is falling out because he worries that he may have given his nice colonized rye a death sentence. Should he be worried?

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: Nervous about the WBS bag tek (eatyualive) [Re: robinhood2]
    #1425086 - 04/03/03 02:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well I'm quite surprised no one had an answer to this since the bag tek was recently such a hot topic, but in case anyone was wondering....the folks over at Nan's said this was nothing to worry about. The chinchilla just wishes this was specified in the tek or something! Still, if anyone knows more about it....comments very welcome.

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Offlinejba6511
addict
    #1425772 - 04/03/03 11:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

my friends cat said the following:

In his experience (only done the bag tek three times with BRF) the condensation is normal. His bags did this and turned out to colonize suprisingly quick (4-7 days for 1 colonized 1/2 pint per 4 1/2 pints uncolnized). He too was worried about the holes but no contams so far. Just out of curiosity are you going to case or try the fatcake tek or flatcake tek with the WBS. The cat was thinking about trying tis with birdseed he has going also.

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: Nervous about the WBS bag tek (eatyualive) [Re: jba6511]
    #1426229 - 04/03/03 02:53 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The chinchilla told my friend that he is definitely going to case with 60/40 coir/verm tek a la Roadkill.

--------------------

Offlinegee_bone
Seeker FromNature

#1426317 - 04/03/03 03:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Good call...

--------------------
Dissidents are punished far more by themselves than by society.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation