Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming * 3
    #14244796 - 04/05/11 09:54 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I thought some may find this useful in discovering their inner self. :cool:

1) Suggestion:

Clear your mind. Relax. Repeat to yourself thoughtfully one of the following:

“Tonight in my dreams, I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”
Or
“Tonight in my dreams, when I see something strange, I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”
Or fill in the blank with a dreamsign which is both common and unusual in your dreams (for example, if your dead Aunt Ruth frequently appears in your dreams):
“Tonight in my dreams, when I see ___________ (my deceased Aunt Ruth), I will realize I am dreaming and become consciously aware.”

Imagine yourself happily writing down your lucid dream in the morning!

2) Waggoner’s Modified Castaneda Technique: Finding your Hands

Using the Carlos Castaneda approach consistently each night before sleep is how I had my first lucid dream.  I believe it works by establishing a simple stimulus-response associational link. Practicing repeatedly develops the association between the stimulus (the sight of your hands) and the response (“This is a dream!”).

1) Sit in your bed, and become mentally settled.
2) Stare softly at the palm of your hands, and tell yourself in a caring manner that, "Tonight while I am dreaming, I will see my hands and realize that I am dreaming."
3) Continue to softly look at your hands and mentally repeat the affirmation, "Tonight while I am dreaming, I will see my hands and realize that I am dreaming."
4) Allow your eyes to cross, and unfocus; remain at peace and continue to repeat slowly.
5) After about five minutes or once you feel too sleepy, quietly end the practice.
6) When you wake up in the middle of the night, gently recall your intention to see your hands and realize that you are dreaming. Try to remember your last dream; did you see your hands?
7) At some point in a dream, suddenly your hands will pop up in front of you and you will instantly make the connection, "This is a dream!"  Try to stay calm and explore the dream environment. Later, when you wake from your lucid dream, take a moment and write it down in your dream journal -- write the entire dream; how you realized you were dreaming; what you did while aware that you were dreaming, etc. Congratulations!

3) Stephen LaBerge’s MILD Technique

The following is my interpretation of LaBerge’s visualized role-playing technique:

1) Get into the practice of memorizing your last dream in detail, when you spontaneously wake up at night. Simply lie in bed, and recall the last dream in detail.
2) Then LaBerge suggests that you take your recalled dream, and clearly imagine that you have become lucid at an appropriate point. Visualize yourself becoming aware in the remembered dream.

3)  Next, intend to become lucid in the next dream by suggesting, "Next time I’m dreaming, I want to recognize I’m dreaming."
4) Do the above until you feel determined. Expect to become lucid and aware in your next dream as you fall back asleep.

LaBerge also recommended that lucid dreamers conduct a "reality check" to verify that they were dreaming. A "reality check" could be something as simple as levitating or flying -- if you can do these actions in the dream state, then obviously it is a dream!

4) Paul Tholey’s – A Critical Question?  Or a Lucid Mindset

In 1959, Paul Tholey developed an idea to achieve critical awareness in dreams, writing: “If one develops a critical frame of mind towards the state of consciousness during the waking state, by asking oneself whether one is dreaming or awake, this attitude will be transferred to the dreaming state. It is then possible through the occurrence of unusual experiences to recognize that one is dreaming.”

Throughout the day when confronted with an odd event, ask yourself, “Am I dreaming or not?” Then consider, “How do I know?”

Some have suggested putting a red ‘C’ on your hand with a marker, and then each time you see it, ask yourself, “Am I dreaming?”  You could then do a reality check, like try and levitate.  Eventually, this may transfer over to your dream state, and when you wonder “Am I dreaming?” and do a reality check, you will find yourself levitating, and realize, “This is a dream!”.
5) Nap to Lucidity Technique

Independently noticed by many lucid dreamers (and confirmed by the Lucidity Institute), the Nap to Lucidity Technique significantly increases the probability of a lucid dream.

A) Wake about 90 minutes before your normal waking time.

B) Spend the next 90 minutes reading or thinking about lucid dreaming, then return to sleep with the intent to become lucid.

Using this technique, the number of lucid dreams skyrocketed in the final sleep period, when compared to baseline records. ( Lynne Levitan, Nightlight, Vol 3, # 1, “Get Up Early, Take a Nap, Be Lucid”)

Miscellaneous Thoughts

For some people, lucid dreaming requires some persistence.  So try to do one of the above practices consistently.

Also, consider what you might like to do in a lucid dream.  Get interested, curious and excited about that!  This develops emotional energy.  If you don’t know what you’d like to do, start reading the lucid dreams of others at The Lucid Dream Exchange www.dreaminglucid.com and find something that make you wonder, “Could a person really do that in a lucid dream?”

If this is your first lucid dream, remember not to get too excited upon becoming lucid, since this normally will wake you up. If getting excited, look at your hands, or the ground or focus on something boring in the lucid dream to stabilize it.  Good luck!

-Robert Waggoner
Author of Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
http://dreaminglucid.com/index.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: c0sm0nautt]
    #14245527 - 04/06/11 12:02 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

here's a detailed FAQ too if your interested
http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html

your post reminds me i need to start working to get myself to lucid dream which i meant to start doing a while ago

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: bigmike7104]
    #14245770 - 04/06/11 01:20 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Cool site. :cheers:

Something that's currently jogged my mind about Lucid Dreaming and OBE (which I see is mentioned on their website) are if they are the same, or separate. I wonder... :pipesmoke:

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: r72rock]
    #14245932 - 04/06/11 02:21 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

does anyone know how long it usually takes to start consistently lucid dreaming every night after doing the above suggestions everyday.

and i'm curious if anyone has tried out devices such as http://lucidity.com/novadreamer.html to achieve lucid dreams and if so does it work well?

also from the site here's an interesting way to prevent yourself from waking up once becoming lucid

Quote:

Then, if the dream shows signs of ending, such as a loss of detail, vividness, and apparent reality of the imagery, the technique of "spinning" can often restore the dream. You spin your dream body around like a child trying to get dizzy.
the odds in favor of continuing the lucid dream were about 22 to 1 after spinning, 13 to 1 after hand rubbing (another technique designed to prevent awakening), and 1 to 2 after "going with the flow"

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

Edited by bigmike7104 (04/06/11 02:27 AM)

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: bigmike7104]
    #14246788 - 04/06/11 10:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

r72rock said:
Something that's currently jogged my mind about Lucid Dreaming and OBE (which I see is mentioned on their website) are if they are the same, or separate. I wonder... :pipesmoke:

There seems to be distinctions, such as the level of malleability of the perceived external environment.

Quote:

bigmike7104 said:
does anyone know how long it usually takes to start consistently lucid dreaming every night after doing the above suggestions everyday.

If your putting sufficient emotional energy into it, it shouldn't take longer than a couple weeks. I've had 3 lucid dreams and 1 OBE in the past 10 days, but I have been reading and thinking about this stuff for a good portion of my waking hours. You can't half ass it - you need to really want it and put the energy into it.

OfflineForever White Belt
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14250130 - 04/06/11 09:36 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I have some serious questions about this cosmo!! Since the last time I was here I have been experimenting a little with techs like these...

uhhmmm I have always had really wild dreams and the ability to become lucid in them without really trying to hard... Ever since I was a kid really I have been able to recall my dreams really well plus I have always been fascinated with the biblical Joseph and his ability to interpret dreams...

Any way after actually trying or well putting sufficient emotional energy into it like you said some really odd things have been happening sort of going insanely out of control to the point where I have stopped reading and trying anything associated with my dreams...

--------------------
The Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
      J. B. S. Haldane

The quest of the absolute leads into the four-dimensional world.
Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: Forever White Belt]
    #14250320 - 04/06/11 10:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Forever White Belt said:
Any way after actually trying or well putting sufficient emotional energy into it like you said some really odd things have been happening sort of going insanely out of control to the point where I have stopped reading and trying anything associated with my dreams...

Can you give some examples?  IMO it's pretty unhealthy to turn away from our dreams.

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #14250931 - 04/07/11 12:30 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, I've heard of some of those differences, I guess I'm subconsciously trying to fit OBE and lucid dreaming into one model of reality. :lol:

How long have you been doing Out of Body and Lucid dreaming for?

--------------------

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
    #14252481 - 04/07/11 10:49 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

r72rock said:
Yeah, I've heard of some of those differences, I guess I'm subconsciously trying to fit OBE and lucid dreaming into one model of reality. :lol:

How long have you been doing Out of Body and Lucid dreaming for?

I discovered all of this stuff in 2008 and have been practicing on and off with limited success. It was only in the past few weeks that I decided to go through my 300,000 word dream journal and pick out commonly occurring dream signs to act as cues for my dreaming self. After doing this the unconscious seemed to react - like it is an intelligence attempting to make me lucid. One of my dream signs is a dog and I've had almost one dream a night of dogs running up to me barking. :lol:

Last night I became lucid in a dream and decided to focus on the energy/feeling of my body to stabilize the dream. This ended up transporting me back to my waking body, where I was able to roll out into a short OBE. Just another difference I would bring up between and OBE and LD - the ability to convert a LD to an OBE. This all could simply be the metaphor I currently need, the process I believe I need to follow. I have heard of people simply phasing from one non-physical experience to another.

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #14253255 - 04/07/11 01:47 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

That's a huge dream journal. :eek:

That's awesome though. I've been attempting to Lucid Dream and OB for not too long, only about 2 months. And I fall in and out of motivation pretty often. I've kept a dream journal, and I'm still looking for cues, but I'm more interested in OB than LD at the time being, so my dream journal lacks. :sad:

I have heard of people simply phasing from one non-physical experience to another.

That sounds really crazy. I couldn't imagine doing that. :lol: But reading your story, it seems like you've got something alike down. That's a lot of control to be able to switch.

--------------------

Edited by r72rock (04/07/11 01:50 PM)

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
    #14253850 - 04/07/11 03:31 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

r72rock said:
I have heard of people simply phasing from one non-physical experience to another.

That sounds really crazy. I couldn't imagine doing that. :lol: But reading your story, it seems like you've got something alike down. That's a lot of control to be able to switch.

IMO it's probably less crazy than dealing with projection symptoms like the heavy vibrations and noises. Don't limit yourself, imagine it! :cool:

Stranger
 User Gallery

#14258609 - 04/08/11 01:40 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Maybe its my lack of practice or my inability to stay lucid in my dreams but control seems to be the problem for me.

My dreams seem to start out normal before I become lucid...

I seem to have this ability if I am in a dream I really don't like (usually dreams about zombies or someone taking my wife from me ) to shrink myself into a hole...(this feels SOOOOO weird when I am doing it like I am folding in on myself and the dream reality feels like it folds with me)

Sometimes its a crawlspace or crevice in a wall, sometimes its a pipe or hole in the ground.

Then their are times when I have this ability to sort of float up above the landscape while the dream plays itself out... It feels like I try to jump but I know that this force will sort of float me along. It doesn't always work, and sometimes its like i have a jetpack on and i can travel vast distances..

Any way when I become agitated or scared (i am not easily frightened) is when I become partly lucid. Well enough to remember that I have these abilities and am able to change the dream landscape if its too wild.

An example.... Well for one dream a couple of nights ago... I was having another zombie dream half-way through it I became lucid remembering that this is indeed a dream I became aware of my body (in bed covered in a cold sweat)

So I wanted to fly away from it and the next thing Im coming down onto what looks like some sort of navy or oil rig... this is the closest thing i can find to what it looked like

as far as my eyes could see this was the horizon

and this was the landscape very chaotic and powerful

This was one of those dreams that seems more real than real.. I can still vividly see this place and the sky was soooooo blue and unreal. These two images were combined into one place.

The feelings of awe and wonder that accompanied this dream are unlike any I have had
in any lucid state. But this was also the most positive of all the travels I have had the rest well not so fun and positive...

--------------------
The Universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose.
      J. B. S. Haldane

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
    #14258826 - 04/08/11 02:24 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Stick with it man. Sometimes it is painful to move through this unconscious stuff, but there is always something better awaiting on the other end. Boats seem to act as a metaphor for consciousness, but are more important because of the water (emotion) metaphor. Chaotic waves/water could be a metaphor for turbulent emotions, perhaps raging under the conscious surface.

Stranger
 User Gallery

#14259066 - 04/08/11 03:07 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yea it seems the unconscious is where all this CRAZY shit keeps bubbling up from I mean sometimes the themes of my dreams get pretty out there!!

Honestly dream symbolism has bothered me... I can hardly agree with most of it and rarely does a metaphor for something fit...

Some dreams are obviously at least to me just unconscious desires and things usually associated with sex. Like there are solicitations for sex in my dreams from strange women if I allow it the dreams end-- If I deny it the dreams go deeper or last for longer -- or maybe its just my ability to recall them

Any way those are not too bad I mean who doesn't like sex so not anything too strange there...

But sometimes the themes in my dreams can get really demonic or haunted two themes I have real trouble with because of the types of entity contact I have...

This is the kind of stuff I have questions to you about like has this happened in anything you read about?? Have you had any exp with ghosts or actual demon/monster type beings who interact with you??

On a real level there is a world of difference with one of these kind of dreams and any other night of dreaming...  when I become lucid during these they are surreal and fairly short.. But yea more to add later and maybe I will start my dream book up again even tho thats when shit gets wild!!

--------------------
      J. B. S. Haldane

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
    #14259419 - 04/08/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Yea I've had experiences with "demonic" stuff. For the most part I see them as our own inner demons. Great transformation can happen if you consciously acknowledge them in lucid dreams. The conscious waking mind usually suppresses that stuff, which is why we have nightmares of running from these demons or being harassed by them. If you face the fear, and be with it, it will dissipate.

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
    #14282252 - 04/13/11 04:34 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I just had one a few hours ago during a string of nightmares.

Kept waking up and going back to sleep (great way to get lucid which I believe was in the OP)

Finally I randomly thought "what if this is a dream?" So I walked around this house I was in (maybe I ran, idk) until I came to see a stereo on a counter. The stereo had a digital clock on it, so I looked at the time (it was a normal seeming time), looked away and looked again (the time changed to another normal time) and then turned away and looked once more and there were just a lot of tiny symbols there lol.

But I woke up shortly after this. Can't remember why but I think a monster came through the front door which was in the same room as the clock.

Should have faced the thing, or tried to change it.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

Offlinemikeisapro
Pro
    #14282257 - 04/13/11 04:36 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The hand technique is something new to me.

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

--------------------
Life without drugs lacks substance(s).

InvisibleParkseerf
 User Gallery

Loc: Louisiana
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: mikeisapro]
    #14285371 - 04/13/11 05:38 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Awesome post cosmonautt!:thumbup:

Its funny you talk about boats and water, ive been reading some of Jungs work about the unconscious and he talks about water being a very common symbol for it. WHich is really interesting because the past 3 LDs ive had i end up in the water but for some reason cant breathe and sink like a stone no matter how hard i try to swim:shrug:

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Re: Five Successful Techniques for Lucid Dreaming [Re: Parkseerf]
    #14287053 - 04/13/11 10:06 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Definitely had to do with emotions. A lot of dreams deal with water too - usually in the form of pools.

OfflineEibbor70
Zen artist
Male

#16516474 - 07/11/12 08:28 PM (11 years, 8 months ago)

I have had only one dream where I became fully aware and was able to control what happened. It didn't last long. I suddenly realized I was dreaming and was in a huge white room like the matrix. I told myself that I would test things by walking outside and everything would be made of pizza haha. I created a door and walked outside and it worked! I got so excited I woke up though. since then I find that I cannot become fully aware. Once or twice I have realized I was dreaming but slipped right back into a regular dream. I feel like I'm trying to force the situation and perhaps that is why its not working for me. Just last night I realized I was in a dream and looked down at my body as a sort of test but that's as far as I got. I keep a dream journal but don't practice any techniques for inducing the lucid dream. Based on the info I have given what do you think I should do to take the next step?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom