Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineI_Didnt_Inhale
professionalhighist

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Am I Depressed?
    #1423997 - 04/02/03 08:07 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

During the past two years I've noticed a slight change in the way I act and feel. First of all, I am constantly feeling tired. I average about 8-10 hours of sleep per night, and I still feel pretty tired throughout the whole day.
I have also become somewhat anti-social, not wanting to talk to anyone or initiate a conversation. I used to be pretty talkative but now I just feel like I don't care about what anyone has to say. I think this is on and off though, because in some social situations( parties, other group gatherings), I can carry on a conversation that I enjoy, and actually have fun conversing (without any substances to "loosen me up"). But usually when I talk to another person, I stumble over my words, trying to find the right thing to say, and generally just phuck up my whole sentence. Again, this didnt used to happen.
I also feel like my mind is pretty blank, or numb. Usually when I'm around others I just kinda phase out, not paying attention to my surroundings, not really caring what my friends are talking about.
It should also be said that my family has had a history of depression( my mom and cousin have been diagnosed with depression, and my aunt killed herself when she was 17 because of it)
My school-life has become very stressful too( last year in high-school, A LOT of homework this past week, and the girl I was gonna ask to prom got asked today, by someone else)
Ugh...so yea, life kinda sucks for me right now. If anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Am I Depressed? [Re: I_Didnt_Inhale]
    #1424004 - 04/02/03 08:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you think you are depressed, a doctor can supply you with medications.

None of us is going to know better than you; if you are or are not depressed.

Do some soul searching...

Anonymous #1

#1424607 - 04/03/03 12:03 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineFliquid
Back from being gone.
Male User Gallery

Loc: omotive
    #1425173 - 04/03/03 03:10 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like depression indeed. But i wouldn't put to much trust in doctors and pills.
Ask yourself questions, try to find out your reason for living.
See things like this: "Nothing really matters what i do, or how i act.. in the end i will die, so lets check this thing called live out... before my time comes...".

Live sucks, thats the bottom line. The hardest thing is living it in a way that feels the best for you. Ofcourse setbacks and hartbreaks will come and go. But don't trip on the negative side of live. Trip on the positive, and learn from the negative. You need time to think my friend. And your not getting it, thats what your body is telling you. Listen to your body, free your mind.

Wanna talk more? Lemme know..  :wink: 

--------------------
:dancing: My latest music! :yesnod:

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
    #1425396 - 04/03/03 05:38 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

This is a good depression severity scale. It also has measures for anxiety and stress and a scoring template, so you can test yourself. I can't find the cut-off scores, but I can grab them at work and post them tomorrow.
Depression, anxiety and stress scales

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

OfflinePedM
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #1428788 - 04/04/03 02:23 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Have you ever taken any MDMA?

In curing depression, 90% of the time a nutritious diet, coupled with a good walk in the sun every day, will solve the problem. Try those things first. Doctors and pills should remain at the bottom of your list of helpful resources.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineI_Didnt_Inhale
professionalhighist

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Re: Am I Depressed? [Re: Ped]
    #1428979 - 04/04/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Never done any drugs except for alcohol, marijuana, and mushrooms.
I noticed something strange about my situation; I think I have the ability to "control" this by turning it on and off. Wednesday night I was lying in bed feeling really sad about everything, I was almost crying. Then Thursday morning I woke up, and told myself that I was going to have a damn good day. I forced myself to have a good day and it totally worked. I felt like I had way more energy and I was a lot more social at school. Then today, I did the same thing and had a pretty good day, feeling happy and stuff. It's very hard to keep under control however. It feels like there is a war in my mind between my depressed self and my normal self. I feel this is a battle that can be one through simple mind control.
PS : Thanks everyone for the helpful advice!!

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #1429093 - 04/04/03 04:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Seems that you're still in high school, and whereas clinical depression can certainly develop, you are still in a high-stress social milieu, plus at an age where yourshifting hormonal levels make it difficult to determine what is normal-for-your-age emotional lability, what is situation-caused moodiness, and what is clearly pathological.

If you DO have the ability to enjoy yourself socially, despite the occasional awkwardness of verbal delivery, then that it a good sign. Anhedonia - the inability to experience happiness, and a hallmark of clinical depression, is absent. Tiredness is common. At your age I could sleep for 12 hours, no problem. Do you have suicidal ideation - thoughts about dying? If so, how frequently? Even healthy people have these thoughts, especially under great stress. Do you self-medicate with cannabis, alcohol, pills, etc. to numb the sadness that accompanies depression? I'm not minimalizing your concern as 'just a phase,' but it may well be a developmental phase. Of course you're not like you used to be - you're still growing and have not yet reached adulthood and relative emotional stability.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Am I Depressed? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1430639 - 04/05/03 03:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I couldn't find the scoring for that inventory. Try this one instead. :smile:

Post edited due to DMCA claim by NCS Pearson, Inc.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Edited by Ythan (11/22/13 12:38 PM)

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
Re: Am I Depressed? [Re: enotake2]
    #1431233 - 04/05/03 01:31 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It was good of you to take the time to type out the Beck scale, but understand that one simple inventory does not a clinical assessment make. There are psychometric tests that are not available to the public, but only to licensed clinicians, and those have to be taken along with a clinical interview. In other words, psychopathology is no more likely to be definitively identified by an inventory than the book '1000 Dreams Interpreted' is gonna give one the true meaning of one's dream.

P.S., It's not a good idea to give psych tests to untrained people who do not know how to interpret them in the context of the larger picture, take the results at face value, and possibly become even more upset or depressed at the misinterpreted results.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Re: Am I Depressed? [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #1431977 - 04/05/03 08:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

You're right. I should have explained that a higher score on that does not necessarily mean a clinical depression, and a health professional needs to diagnose it. Also, people need to take into account the circumstances over the proceeding week that might cause a temporary change in mood.
I cut and paste the questionnaire from the internet.

edit. Untreated depression has its own set of problems. 50% of people with depression don't recognise they are depressed. This instrument is widely used and provides an indication for someone who suspects they might be depressed.

--------------------

Edited by enotake2 (04/05/03 10:59 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Scales

Community >> Physical and Mental Well-Being