Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineeoPh
scruffy hippyboy

Loc: the magical land of canad...
Argh!!! Horrible dillema
    #1423683 - 04/02/03 04:10 PM (21 years, 21 hours ago)

Allright, for the past few months, all I've been doing is getting poorer and poorer, my student loan has almost run dry and I'm badly needing a job. So, on monday, I touch up my resume and head off to find me a job. So, on tuesday (yesterday), I get a call from this coffee shop I applied to, asking me if I was still interested in a job (I had dropped my resume off there in the fall). I told the lady that I had just dropped a fresh resume off the day before, and so we set up an interview today, and all is good.

So today rolls around, and I meet up with this chick at school that I usually blaze with between classes. She rolls a big fat doob laced with a bit of hash I picked up yesterday, and then we meet up with another chick, who has another doob, and we then proceeded to get nicely stoned. Of course, this all took a little longer than expected, so I didn't have time to get home and eat or anything. So, I show up at the interview nicely stoned, and ready to get a job.

Shortly into the interview, however, things turned for the worse. The first thing this lady tells me is that the coffee place is a chain store and, as a chain, there are certain regulations they have to follow, regarding education, age, experience and appearance. The first three I had going for me, but the last, well.... basically, she told me that if I wanted the job, I would have to cut my dreadlocks off.

So now I'm stuck with a problem. Should I sacrifice my appearance and get a job, or stand by my ideals and be poor. It's taken me quite a while to get these looking nice (hell, I've even gotten compliments on them from my MOTHER), and so I'm just a tad bit hesitant to take the scissors to them. On the other hand, I've been making a steady diet out of ramen soup, coffe and cigarettes (and, of course, a myriad of "natural" substances, which is all that feins off the mind numbing boredom of reality).

At any rate, it's a big fucking city, so another job shouldn't be too hard to come by. Hopefully someone out there can accept my hair...

(sorry if this comes out sounding like unconnected babble. rolled up a bit more of that hash into some drum while i was finishing my coffee after the interview, and i'm not terribly sure if i'm making sense or not)

--------------------
[I do not, nor have I or will I ever grow mushrooms; the mushrooms grow themselves]

"You say nothing's right but natural things
Ah, you fool
Poison oak is a natural plant
Why don't you put some in your food"
(Jefferson Airplane, "Eat Starch Mom")

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: eoPh]
    #1423725 - 04/02/03 04:23 PM (21 years, 21 hours ago)

Don't cut your hair. There's other jobs out there.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1423810 - 04/02/03 04:55 PM (21 years, 20 hours ago)

I wanted to grow a mop, but most places won't hire me because of it.

So you know what you do? Find manual labour!

I work as a general labourer for a contractor here. They don't care what you look like, and you will probably end up making more to START than you would at most other jobs.

Manual labour is nice, too. Get outside in the sun and fresh air. You get PAID to work out  :smirk:

Plus construction is really easy, so you can let your mind do what it wants all day!  :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Offlinezzenix
sister
Loc: betwixt
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1423895 - 04/02/03 05:29 PM (21 years, 20 hours ago)

you might be able to get around a regulation like that by wearing some sort of tam (i think thats what theyre called)...which is a nice looking hat you put over your knots so people cant see them. but definitely don't cut them off, because if you get fired or decide to quit a couple weeks into working there, youll regret it.

Offlineta_spad
wise sage of theforest
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: trendal]
    #1423909 - 04/02/03 05:31 PM (21 years, 20 hours ago)

If this is your best chance of earning money, I reckon cut em off for the time being. You can grow them back, and there are many other ways to express yourself for the moment. It's a pain in the arse but you're better swallowing your pride and earning yourself some cash than looking good and wasting away :smile:

OfflineeoPh
scruffy hippyboy

Loc: the magical land of canad...
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: ta_spad]
    #1424357 - 04/02/03 08:32 PM (21 years, 17 hours ago)

thanks for the response

I think i'm gonna keep the locks and continue the job hunt. I'm a 2nd year university student in a fairly large city, so it shouldn't be too hard to find work. The strange thing is, this coffee shop is in one of the cooler parts of town, where dreadlocks are a common sight in many places. Oh well...

(oh, and yea, i mentioned wearing a tam, cuz i've got a really nice one, but she said that wasn't allowed either)

--------------------
[I do not, nor have I or will I ever grow mushrooms; the mushrooms grow themselves]

"You say nothing's right but natural things
Ah, you fool
Poison oak is a natural plant
Why don't you put some in your food"
(Jefferson Airplane, "Eat Starch Mom")

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #1424861 - 04/02/03 11:14 PM (21 years, 14 hours ago)

Good choice. I find it quite stupid when jobs want you to do something like that. Like having no dreads means you can do the job any better than usual. Come on now, I thought we were mature now? Can people not handle being served by someone with dreadlocks? Sure, it's only hair, but then why must you have to cut it off in order to get the job...? It's ONLY hair...

Offlinepants
Butt.
Loc: Internet
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: Sheepish]
    #1425895 - 04/03/03 11:02 AM (21 years, 2 hours ago)

Cut your hair you fucking hippy.

--------------------
Posting large images in sign[a]tures is not allowed.

InvisibleBilge
longtimenoC

Loc: USA
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: pants]
    #1425920 - 04/03/03 11:10 AM (21 years, 2 hours ago)

*hippie*

--------------------
Shopping for your head? Visit HeadShopFinder.com or find Online Head Shops.

InvisibleTheMimeKing
D-unit
 User Gallery

Loc: Why, France of course mes...
    #1426325 - 04/03/03 01:23 PM (21 years, 24 minutes ago)

if i were you, id go for a moving company... its going to be summer soon, and they'll be practically handing out jobs. its usually not horribly hard work either, and it pays great.

i cut all my hair (it was a good 12 inches or more) and i really wish i hadnt. its gonna take forever to grow it that long again.

--------------------

OfflineDrubuShrume
EAT ME - I'm afungi

Loc: Right where I need to be
Re: Argh!!! Horrible dillema [Re: TheMimeKing]
    #1426385 - 04/03/03 01:42 PM (21 years, 6 minutes ago)

Dude, you should have said they are for religous (not spiritual, say religous, it sounds better) and they can't discriminate

--------------------
AH HA....

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale