Home | Community | Message Board

Old Faithful Seed Bank
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Some are happy [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1397728 - 03/21/03 08:50 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Some more happy campers.

---------

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,81784,00.html

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1397809 - 03/21/03 09:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You do realize that this won't sit well with the 'America The Great Satan' crowd which posts here?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1397815 - 03/21/03 09:34 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I don't know why many people would find this shocking. It isn't like Saddam ever earned a merit badge for helping old ladies across the street.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Some are happy [Re: Evolving]
    #1397817 - 03/21/03 09:36 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You do realize that this won't sit well with the 'America The Great Satan' crowd which posts here?

Like who? I've just seen people who don't like George Bush.

Try not to confuse America with George Bush. They really arn't the same thing.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1397860 - 03/21/03 09:54 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I do realize and I don't much care what those pathetic baboons think.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #1397863 - 03/21/03 09:55 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's not right to insult baboons like that.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1397869 - 03/21/03 09:56 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

You're right of course.
:blush:

--------------------

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: Some are happy [Re: Phred]
    #1397984 - 03/21/03 10:44 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

If your comment was neither sarcastic nor facetious, then it must be taken at its face value, and you believe the report posted was accurate. Do you believe it is accurate? If you do, then let me be the first to congratulate you on your conversion. 

Have you ever heard of the word maybe? Your so Aristotelean! Its really quite charming. :grin: 

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
    #1398053 - 03/21/03 11:15 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

about the word censorship...

you seem to think that it is only censorship if it meets your own "personalized" definition of the word(ie, the government must perform the censoring). however, i agree with the way the word is used in this article. if you disagree with the author's use of the word you can send her an email if you'd like.

--------begin article--------------------------------

Media, not military, will censor information

By Stephanie jordan
Staff Writer

March 19, 2003

While the U.S. military will not directly censor the media in the coming weeks, experts say news organizations might fall prey to self-censoring the material they release to the public.

Wartime could prove trying for journalists as they debate what news is safe to release without endangering the nation's security.

Carol Winkler, chairwoman of Georgia State University's Communications Department, said there won't be any formal restrictions on reports by the press.

She said that in previous times of war, the government has given the media guidelines regarding what they would like the press to omit. But she added that these are only suggestions and that the press can choose whether or not to abide.

But Winkler said she still thinks the press will be sympathetic to U.S. military efforts.

"Media coverage will show the U.S. at an advantage as best they can," she said. "If they have pictures of the Iraqi military and people supporting the U.S. or evidence of Iraqi biological and chemical weapons, they will show them."

UNC journalism Professor Chuck Stone, who specializes in media censorship, said the press will not publish certain things, such as timetables regarding U.S. troop deployment, that might cause problems for U.S. forces overseas.

The media also won't show Iraqi people rising against U.S. efforts, Winkler said, and they won't show innocent civilians being killed, particularly women and children. "The media will be pretty respectful of what the administration wants, and they definitely will not reveal where the troops are, which was a major problem in the Gulf War."

But experts said that no matter what information and photographs are released or restricted, they will spark public criticism.

"The media will have to strike a balance and give just enough information," Stone said. "They'll gather as much as they can but sift out what will cause problems for field troops on the firing line."

He also said that although U.S. soldiers might be shown dead on film or in pictures, they will not be shown dead in a graphic manner, such as severely burned.

Daniel Hallin, a communications professor at the University of California at San Diego, also said the media will attempt to avoid public backlash. "The media will use self-censorship, censoring graphic information and controversial issues and anything reflecting negatively on U.S. troops."

Winkler said photographs will be reviewed through a lengthy process before publication. "They most likely won't be released the day of the story but rather will be held until they will not hurt the administration as much."

But despite probable self-censorship, some information that is sure to be released might cause the public to think twice about war, Stone said. "The majority of the public is supporting the president right now. And graphic photos or information will cause the public to say 'That's the price you pay.'"

Stone said no matter what the public thinks of the war and possible self-censorship, people will be compelled to stay informed.

"We're in crisis mode right now, and the more information you get, the more you can cope. It's better to know than not know."

Contact the State & National Editor at stntdesk@unc.edu

---------------end here---------------------------------------

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Some are happy [Re: GazzBut]
    #1398062 - 03/21/03 11:18 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Gazz said: Oh my it must be true!

Gazz also said: Have you ever heard of the word maybe?

where did you use the word maybe?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (03/21/03 01:59 PM)

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Some are happy [Re: GazzBut]
    #1398412 - 03/21/03 01:58 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

GazzBut writes:

Have you ever heard of the word maybe?

And how, pray tell, are we to derive "maybe" from "Oh my it must be true!"

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: Some are happy [Re: rhizo]
    #1398467 - 03/21/03 02:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

rhizo writes:

you seem to think that it is only censorship if it meets your own "personalized" definition of the word(ie, the government must perform the censoring).

So sorry, it is not personalized at all.

Oxford Dictionary of Current English:

censor -- official with power to suppress whole or parts of books, plays, films, letters, news, etc. on grounds of obscenity, threat to security, etc.

Merriam Webster:

censorship -- the actions or practices of censors; especially : censorial control exercised repressively

Your original claim was that "the US news media is already heavily censored. " This is untrue. The article you provide illustrates this quite clearly by its very title. The decision of what to publish and what not to publish is not being dictated to the press by the government or the military, it is left in the hands of the individual reporters and editors.

In other words, the media is not being censored.

pinky

--------------------

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
    #1398541 - 03/21/03 02:51 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

the media knows what the government won't allow so the publisher censors his own publication(referred to as self-censorship in the article), knowing that the government would do it anyway. maybe you think because a government official did not personally perform the censoring that it is somehow not censorship. anyway, i think you're splitting hairs here.

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1399211 - 03/21/03 08:14 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your original claim was that "the US news media is already heavily censored. "

As we've shown many times before pink, dictionary definitions arn't adequate. If editors self-censor themselves in exactly the way Bush would censor them anyway is this "censorship"? My opinion is that it is.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1400036 - 03/22/03 09:00 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"You just arrived," he said. "You're late. What took you so long? God help you become victorious. I want to say hello to Bush, to shake his hand. We came out of the grave."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,919627,00.html

--------------------

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1400045 - 03/22/03 09:03 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

In other words, the media is not being censored.

They're not being censored. They just decided not to inform the public because that's not in the national interest.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1400059 - 03/22/03 09:09 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

A group of American anti-war demonstrators who came to Iraq with Japanese human shield volunteers made it across the border today with 14 hours of uncensored video, all shot without Iraqi government minders present. Kenneth Joseph, a young American pastor with the Assyrian Church of the East, told UPI the trip "had shocked me back to reality." Some of the Iraqis he interviewed on camera "told me they would commit suicide if American bombing didn't start. They were willing to see their homes demolished to gain their freedom from Saddam's bloody tyranny. They convinced me that Saddam was a monster the likes of which the world had not seen since Stalin and Hitler. He and his sons are sick sadists. Their tales of slow torture and killing made me ill, such as people put in a huge shredder for plastic products, feet first so they could hear their screams as bodies got chewed up from foot to head."
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20030321-023627-5923r

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1423714 - 04/02/03 06:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1423791 - 04/02/03 06:47 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

So what's your point from all this?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Some are happy [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1423849 - 04/02/03 07:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

So what's your point from all this?

I would have thought the subject made that fairly clear.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

General Interest >> Political Discussion