Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrypyamine
Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose?
    #1423461 - 04/02/03 02:47 PM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKoOs
BlingBling!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Glendive MT
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: trypyamine]
    #1423494 - 04/02/03 02:58 PM (21 years, 18 hours ago)

yes

--------------------

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: KoOs]
    #1423527 - 04/02/03 03:14 PM (21 years, 17 hours ago)

Damn. Could you please explain how you know, how much DMT it takes to cause an OD, and what are the symptoms of brain damage caused by a DMT OD. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Edited by trypyamine (04/02/03 03:15 PM)

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #1423624 - 04/02/03 03:52 PM (21 years, 17 hours ago)

i think he was being sarcastic because this question is absurb. dmt is a natural neuro chemical, the ld 50 of it is so high that you would go completely insane and black out before it kills you

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Infrared]
    #1423743 - 04/02/03 04:29 PM (21 years, 16 hours ago)

This question is not absurd, it is a good serious question. The fact that DMT is found in minute quantities in the brain has little relavence because we are talking about high doses. The amount that is found naturally in the blood is not enough to cause hallucinations. Do you understand? It's possible that an overdose might cause brain damage even if it takes a much larger amount to cause death.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1423814 - 04/02/03 04:56 PM (21 years, 16 hours ago)

Your question is not obsurd. I do not believe there has been a lot of research done in this area. You will probably get a better answer to your question in the 'other drug discussion' forum. The forum is fully moderated now, so your post will take a while to show, and answers will be slow to show... be patient. You might also look on erowid (prepend a www and add the dot com suffix). If anybody knows, they will.

Just because something occurs naturally in your body/brain does not mean that you cannot overdose from it. You can drink too much water and die even though the body is around 85% water.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Seuss]
    #1423984 - 04/02/03 06:02 PM (21 years, 15 hours ago)

Dmt would probably cause your heart to stop at high doses, because it causes an inxcrease heart rate and blood pressure. Also I am sure that in Thikal some one had an I.V of DMT and nearly died. Remember all drugs have the potential to kill or cause brain damage given the right doses.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: EvilGir]
    #1424042 - 04/02/03 06:22 PM (21 years, 14 hours ago)

I don't think this is something you have to worry about. In DMT: the spirit molecule, when the author is trying to figure out the high dose range for intra-venous dmt he originally starts far too high, and the fellow comes out fine. I'm pretty sure you can't damage your brain with it.

Terrence Mckenna points out in one of his books where he talks about the toxicity of these drugs that DMT is the safest because your body is so well equipped to handle and metabolize it, or so we can assume because the trip is so brief.

I don't know how you would possibly get enough DMT in you to cause damage. Smoked DMT wouldn't work because you would be incapable of smoking after a few tokes, and it wouldn't really work brewed as ayahuasca because that drink would just trigger puking. I've never read any reason to think that DMT is a dangerous drug, except shamans often point out that it's possible to die on an ayahuasca trip, but I'm not sure this has ever happened.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1424803 - 04/02/03 10:56 PM (21 years, 10 hours ago)

No. You would need someone injecting it into you long after you were incapable. Apart from that the brain only has so many receptors - once they were occupied the DMT would just float about your system and get rapidly broken down.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: EvilGir]
    #1424939 - 04/02/03 11:44 PM (21 years, 9 hours ago)

it may be possible to die after drinking ayahuasca, if you're already unhealthy and you haven't been watching your diet. since ayahuasca works because of a MAOI in the b. caapi, and since MAOIs have some severe dietary restrictions associated with them, it would be possible for someone who was unaware of these contraidications to possibly injure himself. I'm not sure how likely it is for this to kill you but I do believe it is possible.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: the spiral]
    #1425487 - 04/03/03 05:42 AM (21 years, 3 hours ago)

DMT is not neurotoxic. It is as someone previously mentioned endogenous.. native to the human body.. the human body has chemicals that breakdown the DMT molecule very very quickly hence the short trip that it produces..

Also as someone has said you would never be able to self dose such a large amount of DMT unless you were injecting it IV.

In regards to shamans and dying on an ayahuasca trip.. we have to understand that the shamans live in a very different world and take Ayahuasca for many diverse reasons which we mostly cannot begin to understand coming from a western viewpoint. Shamans of the Amazon believe that most sickness is caused either by evil spirits or by bewitching shamans... Sometimes to heal a sick person the shaman must drink ayahuasca and journey into another world to retrieve the soul of the person they are trying to heal... while they are in the other world they are vulnerable to become attacked by bewitching shamans or their spirit allies..this is why they believe one can die on Ayahuasca.

If someone was going to drink Ayahuasca it's most probable that they know there are dietary restrictions anyway... or that the person who is giving it to them will tell them before hand..

So enough of my Rave most of it was off topic.

In conclusion it is very unlikely that anyone can get brain damage from DMT. I don't think there is one documented case of Physical toxicity related to DMT usage. You are much much more likely to suffer Brain Damage from drinking alcohol.. or breathing exhaust fumes... or anything else.

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: mesq]
    #1425726 - 04/03/03 09:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Pure DMT is the safest thing you could ever put in your body. The only thing you would ever worry about is if your taking DMT with Syrian Rue. If you eat anything that has been through an aging process, it will make you sick, but i have never heard of death. Mixing anything other than hallucinogens with DMT/Syrian Rue is a different story, and you could easily die taking a normal dose of a lot of Rx medicine.

During birth your brain is flooded with DMT/5-meo-DMT. Its 40% more active at that time than any other time in your life. DMT is your body's own nuerotransmitter and your brain is designed for it. DMT mixed with syrian rue breaks the laws of physics as to what your brain is capable of. It can only be explained using quantum physics, which is completely different. In quantum physics one thing can exist in 2 places at the same exact time. DMT is powerful, amazingly.

SWIM is doing a mimosa extraction soon, and is very excited. SWIM has done ayahuasca with strong results. On one of SWIMS adventures in his room with his g/f that wasnt tripping, SWIM controlled Winamp on his computer for 5 minutes from all the way across his room, and it would start/stop whenever he said those words. SWIM's g/f searched him for a remote because she couldn't beleive it, but its just one of those things that can't be explained...

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: CockyMandrill]
    #1425968 - 04/03/03 11:23 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you for your replies. I have several things to say. I think I might have hppd from DMT. I have these constant visual disturbances like seeing pink fuzz on walls. I also have some psychological problems that might have been caused by DMT, but Im not sure. Im going to be seeing a neurologist soon so hopefully I will figure it out. Also, I would just like to point out that in DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Strassman reports that two of his volenteers expirienced a dangerous change in blood pressure. So in theory, DMT can cause a stroke. Other than this, DMT is some awsome stuff! Im just worried that it fucked me up permanantly.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1426178 - 04/03/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

In my experience it's basically impossible for the average person to know what is affecting their body. It's easy to start smoking pot and then whenever you forget something in the short term and blame it on pot, even though it happened lots before you started smoking. ie: running upstairs to get something and forgetting what it was.

I do think it's possible to develop a sense of your body and know without doing a scientific study what is upsetting it, but I think that takes constant training. You have to ask yourself how you're feeling everyday, and also develop the skill to truly feel how you're feeling. I point this out because I think a lot of people on this site are quick to attribute strange sensations to their drug use, and they may be right, but they may also just be putting everyday feelings under the microscope and working themselves up into a paranoid frenzy. Something to keep in mind when trying to discover the source of your problems.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1426512 - 04/03/03 02:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Also, I would just like to point out that in DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Strassman reports that two of his volenteers expirienced a dangerous change in blood pressure

You can experience a dangerous change in blood pressure walking up the stairs.

I wouldn't worry about it. The main danger is something called "media-suggested illness". This is when you read a scare story in the media and convince yourself you are suffering from it. The chances that DMT caused you a problem are so slight as to be non-existent.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1458605 - 04/14/03 09:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

KoOS, are you there? Anyone have more info?

I worry that DMT is actually a highly neurotoxic chemical but this has been kept secret because the government wants to disable clandestine chemists. :tongue: 

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1458962 - 04/14/03 11:16 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Terrence Mckenna warns that there is a threat of death from smoking DMT... death by astonishment. After smoking DMT for the first time a few months ago, I would say he's probably right.

I agree with your theory about DMT being highly neurotoxic. Same thing with blood.. blood is very toxic, because it wears out the inside of your veins.

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1459495 - 04/15/03 05:10 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"I do think it's possible to develop a sense of your body and know without doing a scientific study what is upsetting it, but I think that takes constant training. You have to ask yourself how you're feeling everyday, and also develop the skill to truly feel how you're feeling. I point this out because I think a lot of people on this site are quick to attribute strange sensations to their drug use, and they may be right, but they may also just be putting everyday feelings under the microscope and working themselves up into a paranoid frenzy. Something to keep in mind when trying to discover the source of your problems. "

Your absolutely right, people need to be much more aware of themselves, and keep tabs on the condition. Most people spend more time taking care of there car then themselves...sadly

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: CockyMandrill]
    #1460306 - 04/15/03 12:43 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I dont really believe in that theory, I just worry about it.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462127 - 04/15/03 09:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't worry man.. total hogwash.. if DMT fucked your head up then the amazonians would know, cause they've been taking it for millenia.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order