Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetrypyamine
Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose?
    #1423461 - 04/02/03 02:47 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKoOs
BlingBling!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Glendive MT
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: trypyamine]
    #1423494 - 04/02/03 02:58 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

yes

--------------------

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: KoOs]
    #1423527 - 04/02/03 03:14 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Damn. Could you please explain how you know, how much DMT it takes to cause an OD, and what are the symptoms of brain damage caused by a DMT OD. I appreciate any information you can provide.

Edited by trypyamine (04/02/03 03:15 PM)

OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
    #1423624 - 04/02/03 03:52 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

i think he was being sarcastic because this question is absurb. dmt is a natural neuro chemical, the ld 50 of it is so high that you would go completely insane and black out before it kills you

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Infrared]
    #1423743 - 04/02/03 04:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

This question is not absurd, it is a good serious question. The fact that DMT is found in minute quantities in the brain has little relavence because we are talking about high doses. The amount that is found naturally in the blood is not enough to cause hallucinations. Do you understand? It's possible that an overdose might cause brain damage even if it takes a much larger amount to cause death.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1423814 - 04/02/03 04:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Your question is not obsurd. I do not believe there has been a lot of research done in this area. You will probably get a better answer to your question in the 'other drug discussion' forum. The forum is fully moderated now, so your post will take a while to show, and answers will be slow to show... be patient. You might also look on erowid (prepend a www and add the dot com suffix). If anybody knows, they will.

Just because something occurs naturally in your body/brain does not mean that you cannot overdose from it. You can drink too much water and die even though the body is around 85% water.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Seuss]
    #1423984 - 04/02/03 06:02 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Dmt would probably cause your heart to stop at high doses, because it causes an inxcrease heart rate and blood pressure. Also I am sure that in Thikal some one had an I.V of DMT and nearly died. Remember all drugs have the potential to kill or cause brain damage given the right doses.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: EvilGir]
    #1424042 - 04/02/03 06:22 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I don't think this is something you have to worry about. In DMT: the spirit molecule, when the author is trying to figure out the high dose range for intra-venous dmt he originally starts far too high, and the fellow comes out fine. I'm pretty sure you can't damage your brain with it.

Terrence Mckenna points out in one of his books where he talks about the toxicity of these drugs that DMT is the safest because your body is so well equipped to handle and metabolize it, or so we can assume because the trip is so brief.

I don't know how you would possibly get enough DMT in you to cause damage. Smoked DMT wouldn't work because you would be incapable of smoking after a few tokes, and it wouldn't really work brewed as ayahuasca because that drink would just trigger puking. I've never read any reason to think that DMT is a dangerous drug, except shamans often point out that it's possible to die on an ayahuasca trip, but I'm not sure this has ever happened.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1424803 - 04/02/03 10:56 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

No. You would need someone injecting it into you long after you were incapable. Apart from that the brain only has so many receptors - once they were occupied the DMT would just float about your system and get rapidly broken down.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: EvilGir]
    #1424939 - 04/02/03 11:44 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

it may be possible to die after drinking ayahuasca, if you're already unhealthy and you haven't been watching your diet. since ayahuasca works because of a MAOI in the b. caapi, and since MAOIs have some severe dietary restrictions associated with them, it would be possible for someone who was unaware of these contraidications to possibly injure himself. I'm not sure how likely it is for this to kill you but I do believe it is possible.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Offlinemesq
Psychonaut
 User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: the spiral]
    #1425487 - 04/03/03 05:42 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

DMT is not neurotoxic. It is as someone previously mentioned endogenous.. native to the human body.. the human body has chemicals that breakdown the DMT molecule very very quickly hence the short trip that it produces..

Also as someone has said you would never be able to self dose such a large amount of DMT unless you were injecting it IV.

In regards to shamans and dying on an ayahuasca trip.. we have to understand that the shamans live in a very different world and take Ayahuasca for many diverse reasons which we mostly cannot begin to understand coming from a western viewpoint. Shamans of the Amazon believe that most sickness is caused either by evil spirits or by bewitching shamans... Sometimes to heal a sick person the shaman must drink ayahuasca and journey into another world to retrieve the soul of the person they are trying to heal... while they are in the other world they are vulnerable to become attacked by bewitching shamans or their spirit allies..this is why they believe one can die on Ayahuasca.

If someone was going to drink Ayahuasca it's most probable that they know there are dietary restrictions anyway... or that the person who is giving it to them will tell them before hand..

So enough of my Rave most of it was off topic.

In conclusion it is very unlikely that anyone can get brain damage from DMT. I don't think there is one documented case of Physical toxicity related to DMT usage. You are much much more likely to suffer Brain Damage from drinking alcohol.. or breathing exhaust fumes... or anything else.

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: mesq]
    #1425726 - 04/03/03 09:24 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Pure DMT is the safest thing you could ever put in your body. The only thing you would ever worry about is if your taking DMT with Syrian Rue. If you eat anything that has been through an aging process, it will make you sick, but i have never heard of death. Mixing anything other than hallucinogens with DMT/Syrian Rue is a different story, and you could easily die taking a normal dose of a lot of Rx medicine.

During birth your brain is flooded with DMT/5-meo-DMT. Its 40% more active at that time than any other time in your life. DMT is your body's own nuerotransmitter and your brain is designed for it. DMT mixed with syrian rue breaks the laws of physics as to what your brain is capable of. It can only be explained using quantum physics, which is completely different. In quantum physics one thing can exist in 2 places at the same exact time. DMT is powerful, amazingly.

SWIM is doing a mimosa extraction soon, and is very excited. SWIM has done ayahuasca with strong results. On one of SWIMS adventures in his room with his g/f that wasnt tripping, SWIM controlled Winamp on his computer for 5 minutes from all the way across his room, and it would start/stop whenever he said those words. SWIM's g/f searched him for a remote because she couldn't beleive it, but its just one of those things that can't be explained...

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: CockyMandrill]
    #1425968 - 04/03/03 11:23 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you for your replies. I have several things to say. I think I might have hppd from DMT. I have these constant visual disturbances like seeing pink fuzz on walls. I also have some psychological problems that might have been caused by DMT, but Im not sure. Im going to be seeing a neurologist soon so hopefully I will figure it out. Also, I would just like to point out that in DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Strassman reports that two of his volenteers expirienced a dangerous change in blood pressure. So in theory, DMT can cause a stroke. Other than this, DMT is some awsome stuff! Im just worried that it fucked me up permanantly.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1426178 - 04/03/03 12:36 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

In my experience it's basically impossible for the average person to know what is affecting their body. It's easy to start smoking pot and then whenever you forget something in the short term and blame it on pot, even though it happened lots before you started smoking. ie: running upstairs to get something and forgetting what it was.

I do think it's possible to develop a sense of your body and know without doing a scientific study what is upsetting it, but I think that takes constant training. You have to ask yourself how you're feeling everyday, and also develop the skill to truly feel how you're feeling. I point this out because I think a lot of people on this site are quick to attribute strange sensations to their drug use, and they may be right, but they may also just be putting everyday feelings under the microscope and working themselves up into a paranoid frenzy. Something to keep in mind when trying to discover the source of your problems.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1426512 - 04/03/03 02:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Also, I would just like to point out that in DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Strassman reports that two of his volenteers expirienced a dangerous change in blood pressure

You can experience a dangerous change in blood pressure walking up the stairs.

I wouldn't worry about it. The main danger is something called "media-suggested illness". This is when you read a scare story in the media and convince yourself you are suffering from it. The chances that DMT caused you a problem are so slight as to be non-existent.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Offlinetrypyamine
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1458605 - 04/14/03 09:29 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

KoOS, are you there? Anyone have more info?

I worry that DMT is actually a highly neurotoxic chemical but this has been kept secret because the government wants to disable clandestine chemists. :tongue: 

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1458962 - 04/14/03 11:16 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

Terrence Mckenna warns that there is a threat of death from smoking DMT... death by astonishment. After smoking DMT for the first time a few months ago, I would say he's probably right.

I agree with your theory about DMT being highly neurotoxic. Same thing with blood.. blood is very toxic, because it wears out the inside of your veins.

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Dogomush]
    #1459495 - 04/15/03 05:10 AM (21 years, 2 months ago)

"I do think it's possible to develop a sense of your body and know without doing a scientific study what is upsetting it, but I think that takes constant training. You have to ask yourself how you're feeling everyday, and also develop the skill to truly feel how you're feeling. I point this out because I think a lot of people on this site are quick to attribute strange sensations to their drug use, and they may be right, but they may also just be putting everyday feelings under the microscope and working themselves up into a paranoid frenzy. Something to keep in mind when trying to discover the source of your problems. "

Your absolutely right, people need to be much more aware of themselves, and keep tabs on the condition. Most people spend more time taking care of there car then themselves...sadly

Offlinetrypyamine
    #1460306 - 04/15/03 12:43 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

I dont really believe in that theory, I just worry about it.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1462127 - 04/15/03 09:44 PM (21 years, 2 months ago)

don't worry man.. total hogwash.. if DMT fucked your head up then the amazonians would know, cause they've been taking it for millenia.

Offlinetrypyamine
    #1618379 - 06/08/03 01:05 PM (21 years, 18 days ago)

Are the Amozonians an advanced group of people?

Im just bringing this back up incase anyone has more info. KOos, you still havent responded. I had an MRI and will be seeing a neurologist shortly so ill report back if they find anything wrong with my brain.

Offlinemattritt
Mind Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #10611110 - 07/02/09 05:30 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Theyre amazonians, not exactly the most amazing group of people.  I think they still live in grass huts and havent heard of electricity.  Maybe theres a reason?  Ayahuasca tuesdays might have something to do with it.  I mean they dont really have complicated lives to fuck up.  Its not like theyre gunna be driving 60 down the highway with you.

--------------------
**Metaphysical Crystal, Stones, Gems, and Minerals**
Every individual reacts differently to every chemical.
Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.
:bongload:  :gethigh:  "You need more THC to your brain, faster." - Drr  :gethigh:  :bongload:

OfflineSellith
The False Dawn
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Void Flag
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: mattritt]
    #10611149 - 07/02/09 05:39 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

mattritt said:
Theyre amazonians, not exactly the most amazing group of people.  I think they still live in grass huts and havent heard of electricity.  Maybe theres a reason?  Ayahuasca tuesdays might have something to do with it.  I mean they dont really have complicated lives to fuck up.

*points at complications in the world caused by the hand of current, government-drug induced society*

Maybe there was indeed a reason for Ayahuasca Tuesdays huh? :smile:

But, that's just my way of looking at it.

--------------------

OfflineOverdoseLiving
Get 2 Give
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shroomery
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Sellith]
    #10611211 - 07/02/09 05:51 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

WoW, I ant believe how biased most of you guys are.

All you guys do is paraphrase the same information over and over in your own ways.

Its very naive to believe that endogenous substances cant damage our BRAINS with and OD.

When the OP says BRAIN hes meaning atbleast two things.

1. His actual, physical brain.
2. His, mind i.e psyche.

It would be hard to measure the damage done by the first.
But it's absurd to believe that a DMT overdose cannot negatively affect the second.

--------------------
Mi Vida Loco

OfflineOverdoseLiving
Get 2 Give
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: OverdoseLiving]
    #10611223 - 07/02/09 05:52 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

When I was alot younger I over did it alot.

I had HPPD like visuals for a year or so.

After a while it calmed down.

I just chilled out the intensity of the psychs I used and the chronemics.

OfflineHuMe35
Stranger

#10611428 - 07/02/09 06:26 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

I just like that you bumped a six year old thread with response to the Amazonians.  Living in the woods is fun.  I like to think that when the nukes start flying and the MIB start pushing buttons, I can find safe refuge in the vast forest. 

I hate being a pawn in society.

Offlineravenshield420
Stranger

#10611439 - 07/02/09 06:28 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

retarded question , your brain pumps alot higher doses
thats why you cant remmeber your trip
dmt taken in high doses is useless because you cannot remember ur trip at all
3 hits is all it takes.
btw dmt is about 37x safer than weed.

Offlinepfxtc
RUEXP?
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #10611456 - 07/02/09 06:31 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

DMT is cool because you'll pass out LONG before you smoke enough to do any uhh, physical, damage.

Mentally things could be a little different for some folk though :smile:

--------------------

koods said:
Young male going by the name "Bassfreak" entered Worcester General complaining of a sharp pain in his buttock region after attending EDM event. Attending physician considered a possible diagnosis of acute rave anus, but upon further investigation it was determined there was nothing cute about patient's anus.

Life-long trip report

Edited by pfxtc (07/02/09 06:32 PM)

OfflineSellith
The False Dawn
Female User Gallery

Loc: The Void Flag
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: HuMe35]
    #10611475 - 07/02/09 06:36 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HuMe35 said:
I hate being a pawn in society.

Right on, try to achieve personal goals... And be a parasite in the mean time.

--------------------

Offlineiluvfungi
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oakland, CA USA Flag
    #10611833 - 07/02/09 08:00 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Well, just look at the lifespan of Raja Ram vs. Alexander Shulgin. Raja Ram, the pioneer of Psychedelic Trance most likely ingested massive amounts of lsd, fungi, dmt and other psychoactive substances. Alexander Shulgin by contrary tried hundreds of psychoactive substances in small controlled doses. Guess who died at 100 and who died at 55....

Just like how Michael Jackson died....

I got so sick from doing excess amounts of oxycontin I puked for 2 days and couldn't hold any food down. Or what about smoking cigs and weed, getting bronchitis and continuing to smoke weed and puking each time I smoked for 4 months (guess you dont' need to eat much to live).

BS, taking risks with your body reduces your live expectancy. That is why life insurance is more if you involve yourself in high risk activities, like rock climbing.

I bet taking a huge psychedelic trip every 2 months is equally as dangerous as going sky diving, if not more. But who gives a shit, you have to live your life. But don't kind yourself, you are going to die sooner; enjoy every minute of it.

InvisibleFractalDust
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: iluvfungi]
    #10612177 - 07/02/09 09:20 PM (14 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

iluvfungi said:
Well, just look at the lifespan of Raja Ram vs. Alexander Shulgin. Raja Ram, the pioneer of Psychedelic Trance most likely ingested massive amounts of lsd, fungi, dmt and other psychoactive substances. Alexander Shulgin by contrary tried hundreds of psychoactive substances in small controlled doses. Guess who died at 100 and who died at 55....

Just like how Michael Jackson died....

What the fuck are you talking about? Raja Ram and Alexander Shulgin are both still alive and well. :rolleyes:

--------------------

OfflineTooTall
That guy
Male
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Seuss]
    #13723714 - 01/03/11 07:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Ok first you are wrong. DMT is found in the pineal gland in the brain. If you had looked farther than what you did you would find that every child born has a DMT Hallucination, and every dream after that untill its death is another DMT hallucination, and finally upon death your brain purges all that it has left in it.

One a near death experience can be compared to a dmt trip
Two A somke induced DMT trip can be considered a CONSCIOUS DREAM LIKE STATE.
Three If the fact that the most powerfull hallucinogenic chemical known to man is also one of the most illegal substance's known and you use a large amount every single day you draw a breath. Does not make you wonder.
Four The fact that millions of people with no similarities what so ever, (other than being human) report the same things in the DREAM STATES.
Five And if you look deep enough you will find that CHRISTIAN ZEALOTS made it illegal for DMT and many other chemicals to be humanly consumed all the way back in 1875.

Anyone wonder as to why we cant have this but ancient religous figures and some today still use it to seek Spiritual enlightment.

I have tried DMT in smokeing form in many ways and differnet dose, and honestly untill you have ingested it while conscious than i dont want to hear anything you have to say. You have formulated an opinion on what you were told about a DRUG, well if it is a drug then lock up the newborns, people about to die, and.... EVERYONE ELSE IN THE WORLD AND MOST LIVING THINGS BEACAUSE WE HAVE TO USE IT TO LIVE.

Look up what happens if you don't never allow the brain to enter dream sleep.

"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

P.S. TO MUCH ANYTHING CAN KILL YOU!

OfflinerunMD
Face Thoroughly Palmed

Loc: South Park County, CO
    #13723745 - 01/03/11 08:06 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CockyMandrill said:
DMT mixed with syrian rue breaks the laws of physics as to what your brain is capable of.  It can only be explained using quantum physics, which is completely different.  In quantum physics one thing can exist in 2 places at the same exact time. DMT is powerful,  amazingly. 

I hate to amuse an old thread and, what is now, an essentially non-existent poster;but, this is the most ass-backward and misinformed thing I have ever read.

There is nothing about how Syrian rue works , as an MAOI, in combination with DMT that is mysterious . If anyone cares to look it up, go ahead. It is not difficult to find the real reason one would wanna combine a MAOI with DMT.

Granted, I have read Syrian Rue has entheogenic properties.

Edit: Grammar fix.

--------------------
"Are you high or just stupid?"   
"I assure you, I am NOT high"

::All my posts are fabrications or observed accounts of other people's experiences. All cultivation is for the growth of legal and edible gourmet mushrooms.::
Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek
Damion's Favorite Links, I love em.

Study Them. Experience Them.Learn from Them. Respect Them.

Edited by runMD (01/03/11 08:12 AM)

OfflineOverdoseLiving
Get 2 Give
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: runMD]
    #13724209 - 01/03/11 10:30 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Pretty much everything anyone said is irrelevant, because as of this moment, their has not been enough clinical research for us to know whats up.

--------------------
Mi Vida Loco

OfflinerunMD
Face Thoroughly Palmed

#13724369 - 01/03/11 11:18 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

The only point I was trying to make was in dispute of the poster's comment, which that I quoted.

As others mentioned, DMT is not orally active unless it's combined with an MAOI because it is rapidly degraded by the body. Adding a Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor stops these natural break down mechanisms in your body and allows for the DMT to reach higher levels in circulation.

--------------------

::All my posts are fabrications or observed accounts of other people's experiences. All cultivation is for the growth of legal and edible gourmet mushrooms.::
Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek

OfflineTooTall
That guy
Male

#13724779 - 01/03/11 01:03 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I ran a clinic in my kitchen then. That satisfied me, I've been playing with different trips and shit for about a year  and 3 months now all on  DMT some with cannabis, coke, alcohol intoxication all with observers and controlled as possible of a setting. I don't need some GOVERNMENT scientist like the one that said weed can kill you in the 70's to tell me shit about DMT.
Who you think runs the clinic man?

OfflineOverdoseLiving
Get 2 Give
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: TooTall]
    #13725148 - 01/03/11 02:35 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Not all scientizts are evil.

--------------------
Mi Vida Loco

Offlinemattritt
Mind Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: TooTall] * 1
    #13725796 - 01/03/11 04:57 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TooTall said:
Ok first you are wrong. DMT is found in the pineal gland in the brain. If you had looked farther than what you did you would find that every child born has a DMT Hallucination, and every dream after that untill its death is another DMT hallucination, and finally upon death your brain purges all that it has left in it.

This is complete speculation with no proof, a theory that has been proven false. :facepalm:

--------------------
:bongload:  :gethigh:  "You need more THC to your brain, faster." - Drr  :gethigh:  :bongload:

OfflinerunMD
Face Thoroughly Palmed

#13725877 - 01/03/11 05:13 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Not completely without merit. There are also a couple other studies that use less sophisticated methods of tested. I am not leaning either cause I choose not to involve myself here...

Finnish Study:

Quote:

Bufotenine and N,N-dimethyltryptamine (DMT) are hallucinogenic dimethylated indolethylamines (DMIAs) formed from serotonin and tryptamine by the enzyme indolethylamine N-methyltransferase (INMT) ubiquitously present in non-neural tissues. In mammals, endogenous bufotenine and DMT have been identified only in human urine. The DMIAs bind effectively to 5HT receptors and their administration causes a variety of autonomic effects, which may reflect their actual physiological function. Endogenous levels of bufotenine and DMT in blood and a number of animal and human tissues were determined using highly sensitive and specific quantitative mass spectrometric techniques. A new finding was the detection of large amounts of bufotenine in stools, which may be an indication of its role in intestinal function. It is suggested that fecal and urinary bufotenine originate from epithelial cells of the intestine and the kidney, respectively, although the possibility of their synthesis by intestinal bacteria cannot be excluded. Only small amounts of the DMIAs were found in somatic or neural tissues and none in blood. This can be explained by rapid catabolism of the DMIAs by mitochondrial monoamino-oxidase or by the fact that the dimethylated products of serotonin and tryptamine are not formed in significant amounts in most mammalian tissues despite the widespread presence of INMT in tissues.

Source

--------------------

Not A Medical Doctor.
Elementary Coir Tek

OfflineEywa_devotee
Goddess Worshiper
Male User Gallery

Loc: State of Confusion, Arkan... Flag
    #13726451 - 01/03/11 06:58 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

If you take too much you will black out and have a mild tripping feeling that will last up to a couple days. The amount of DMT you will need to smoke to get permanent neurological damage would do so by causing chemically induced endema of the lungs. Thankfully you would black out before being able to smoke that much in one sitting!

--------------------
"Love one another." "To Love is to know me." "Love is the Law, Love under Will." "In Compassion, all sorrows end." Regardless of the Master, the message is the same- Choose love and you shall live, Choose Fear and you shall die. Help bring peace to this Earth: Love one another, and serve others before yourself.

Offlinebbl337
genetic material is Ar based
 User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Infrared]
    #13726605 - 01/03/11 07:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Infrared said:
i think he was being sarcastic because this question is absurb. dmt is a natural neuro chemical, the  ld 50 of it is so high that you would go completely insane and black out before it kills you

why do people make blanket statements like this?  Arsenic is found in our bodies in minute quantities too, doesn't mean it's safe in larger quantities.

Odds are there could be some possible (albeit mild) downregulation of some receptors if used frequently, along with oxidative stress causing some damage, but the amount would be mild and I wouldn't worry too much.  Just don't go bat shit crazy with it and take obscene amounts and you're probably fine

--------------------

OfflineOverdoseLiving
Get 2 Give
Male User Gallery

Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: bbl337]
    #13739573 - 01/06/11 06:03 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Most people are not aware of all of the different levels of factors that come into play when discussing stuff like this.

--------------------
Mi Vida Loco

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13760597 - 01/09/11 10:23 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think it's possible to overdose on DMT in the classical sense.  No matter how much you packed the vaporizer or bowl with, you'd rather quickly reach a point where you had ingested a sufficient amount of DMT to leave your body - and with it, any consciousness of trying to smoke a whole lot.

Because of this, and also because of the structural similarity of DMT to Psilocin (5-HO-DMT), I think that the evidence is rather strong that any overdose on DMT would almost certainly be an oberdose of MAOIs on an Ayahuasca journey - rather than overdosing on DMT itself.  The MAOis (like Harmine/harmaline) do not have anything approaching the index of safety that DMT does; pharmaceutical MAOIs (and harmine/harmline) list a whole host of contraindcated foods, for example, that if you eat too soon before, during, or after dosing, can cause things like hypertensive crises.  MAOIs aare also capable of lots of other strange side effects - this is not surprising, considering how important a role MAO plays in breaking down (and thus regulating) certain neurotransmitter systems.  Tryptamine pshcyedelics like DMT, on the other hand, act on cells by binding to various (mostly serotonergic) receptors but so far as we know can NOT have the kind of disseminated (systemic: heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, etc.) effects that a drug that massively inhibits an essential brain enzyme (as MAOIs affect monoamine oxidase) can have. 

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Offlinemattritt
Mind Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13768922 - 01/11/11 01:26 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

the spiral said:
I don't think it's possible to overdose on DMT in the classical sense.  No matter how much you packed the vaporizer or bowl with, you'd rather quickly reach a point where you had ingested a sufficient amount of DMT to leave your body - and with it, any consciousness of trying to smoke a whole lot.

Because of this, and also because of the structural similarity of DMT to Psilocin (5-HO-DMT), I think that the evidence is rather strong that any overdose on DMT would almost certainly be an oberdose of MAOIs on an Ayahuasca journey - rather than overdosing on DMT itself.  The MAOis (like Harmine/harmaline) do not have anything approaching the index of safety that DMT does; pharmaceutical MAOIs (and harmine/harmline) list a whole host of contraindcated foods, for example, that if you eat too soon before, during, or after dosing, can cause things like hypertensive crises.  MAOIs aare also capable of lots of other strange side effects - this is not surprising, considering how important a role MAO plays in breaking down (and thus regulating) certain neurotransmitter systems.  Tryptamine pshcyedelics like DMT, on the other hand, act on cells by binding to various (mostly serotonergic) receptors but so far as we know can NOT have the kind of disseminated (systemic: heart rate, blood pressure, respiration, etc.) effects that a drug that massively inhibits an essential brain enzyme (as MAOIs affect monoamine oxidase) can have. 

^^You know how I know you don't know what you're talking about? :facepalm:

Remember an overdose doesnt mean you die.  If the effects deeply disturbed you psychologically then you could easily be scarred in some way I believe, in certain cases.  This is why people should be cautious with dosage.  Why blow your brains out everytime from the start.  Work your way up so that you learn how to navigate the space.  Work WITH the compound, don't try to dominate it.  You will find much better results this way.

--------------------

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13781596 - 01/13/11 04:52 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

note that I said "in the classical sense."  I was not addressing psychological damage (except for the kind that's the direct result of "brain damage" ie. cell death), which even low doses of various psychedelics can encourage. 

There's no need to say that I have no idea what I'm talking about, by the way.  I'd have preferred an encouraging "well, actually, psilocin is 4-substituted."  To which I'd have said "oops, I was thinking about DMT, and had a brain-fart - especially considering (from what I recall) psiloc(y)bin is the only naturally occuring 4-substituted tryptamine.  Terence McKenna used to like to point that out as "evidence" that psilocybin is extraterrestrial in nature :smile:.  Since I heard him say it, I can't say I've found a counterexample.

Anyway, oops =p

Edit: I should also note that it was erroneous of me to really make any remarks about DMTs activity in the body based on its structural similarity to psilocin .  One needs only compare methanol to ethanol, or methane to methanol, and so on, to see that a very "small" structural modification can have a very large impact on a drug's pharmacology.

Edited by the spiral (01/13/11 05:15 PM)

OfflineWizzy
In Tha Hizzy

Loc: Void Center
    #13781808 - 01/13/11 05:27 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I don't know much about DMT or it's chemistry... but I'd imagine an "Overdose" of anything can't be good for your brain, buddy.

--------------------
:mushdance::mushdance:       
                        :pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom::pinkshroom:

Offlinemattritt
Mind Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Wizzy]
    #13781898 - 01/13/11 05:43 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wizzy said:
I don't know much about DMT or it's chemistry... but I'd imagine an "Overdose" of anything can't be good for your brain, buddy.

For Truth

--------------------

InvisibleFractalDust
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: Wizzy]
    #13781917 - 01/13/11 05:46 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Wizzy said:

Brain changes due to drugs is already written into my brain budget so it's all good.

--------------------

OfflineROFL_my_ WAFFLE

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: FractalDust]
    #13781925 - 01/13/11 05:48 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You'd have to IV that shit.

--------------------

Offlinemattritt
Mind Chemist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Can you get brain damage from a DMT overdose? [Re: FractalDust]
    #13782692 - 01/13/11 08:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

FractalDust said:
Quote:

Wizzy said:

Brain changes due to drugs is already written into my brain budget so it's all good.

As long as your accountant's worked it into the book then you should be fine. :wink:

--------------------

Offlinedmtisnot4me
Stranger
    #16182989 - 05/04/12 06:53 PM (12 years, 1 month ago)

I have to disagree.. My friend gave me a high dose of Dmt that I smoked over 1 .5 years ago and I have not felt right in body and soul since then. I always have this back and forth feeling in my body or mind. like being at sea when im sitting completely still. I have slso had many heart palpitations that have gotten worse and muscles stiffness.  Also I cant sleep and when i do i wake in terror feeling like I was goin to die as wake up gaspin for air.. It messed me up. I might of had a  underlying neurological issue before that was dorminant but this is not cool. I now on disability.

Edited by dmtisnot4me (05/12/12 03:03 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder