Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators
    #14219133 - 04/01/11 05:26 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

Hi guys.

As a result of member feedback and discussions that have been going on behind the scenes, the administration has decided to try taking the Science & Technology forum in a new direction.

As a result, new moderators have been announced to help the forum transition to encompass a more "outside-the-box" subject manner.  Hopefully this will result in scientific discussion of the exciting advances being made in the fields of new age science, quantum mechanics spirituality, free energy technology, and the effects of consciousness on reality.

Please join me in welcoming your new moderators, who have graciously volunteered to help steer the forum during this period of transition:

iluvfungi
iamchavel
PookztA
IAMSWIM
Olympus Mons

Your comments and suggestions and feedback will be appreciated as we make this transition to a more holistic science forum!

-johnm214
:cheers:

Note: moderator changes are still being worked out, so you may see some some changes in the coming days as the kinks are worked out and plans finalized

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblekoraks
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: johnm214]
    #14219163 - 04/01/11 05:37 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

I'll chime in and post some of the subjects that will explicitly be dealt with from now on. Note that 'classic science' has no place here anymore; please take all discussion on the 'laws' of thermodynamics to the 'Conspiracies and Cover-ups' forum (where they belong).

• Zero point energy
  • Cold fusion
  • Alien technology
  • Mind control and telepathy

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: koraks]
    #14219188 - 04/01/11 05:44 AM (13 years, 19 days ago)

Thanks for chiming in koraks!

The more you look into this stuff, the more you find how blinded to the truth science has been. (or maybe they're the ones blinding others- think about that!  :wowz: )

Your suggested topics seem right on the money :thumbup:

Hopefully this will trigger an awakening and a new era of enlightened discussion on the Shroomery!

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: johnm214]
    #14222434 - 04/01/11 06:01 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Thanks John. 

I'd also appreciate it if all these know-it-alls would stop using their big words and fancy theorems and would just stick to tried-and-true methods of conveying information like youtube videos and illegible scanned-in, hand-drawn diagrams.  We should maybe update the new rule set to reflect this policy.

Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: ChuangTzu]
    #14224205 - 04/02/11 12:01 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

i hope to bring nothing but good ideas and positive feedback. i'm happy to be a part of the shroomery team, the science and technology forum is one of my favorites, if not my favorite, part of the shroomery.

i love this forum especially, as behavior here always seems to be well respected, and also the level of debate is well endowed. i hope to make this first day a good one, and challenge everyone to be as intellectual, and enlightened, as you always have been in the science and technology forum.

glad to be part of the team!

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

InvisibleChespirito
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#14225304 - 04/02/11 10:07 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Haha good stuff

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: Chespirito]
    #14225479 - 04/02/11 11:04 AM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Sounds like you want to combine the spirituality and philosophy forums while cutting out the science and technology. I used to enjoy this forum and always get annoyed with the pseudo-scientific speculation that goes on here. I've always though that you guys should take that to either the spirituality or conspiracy forums. I hope my pessimism is misplaced.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: Bacchus]
    #14226050 - 04/02/11 01:21 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

Hmmm,

well, you convinced me.  Nevermind then... I guess I better call up our Youtube professors and tell them we won't be needing their services for the Youtube Visiting Lecturer series we had lined up.

Sorry PookztA, imachavel, and the gang, I guess that means we won't be needing your help either, but your willingness is appreciated anyways :thumbup:  You can blame Bacchus if there's any hard feelings.

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

#14226615 - 04/02/11 03:17 PM (13 years, 18 days ago)

bacchus ruined it for everyone :sad:

but it was a good idea while it lasted, those lectures will be appreciated else where I hope  :mypleasure:  :facepalm3:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: imachavel]
    #14227203 - 04/02/11 05:25 PM (13 years, 17 days ago)

I wasn't trying to be a spoilsport or anything. I only post a couple of times per week so if the people who actively participate want to make some changes, so be it. I'll live.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
    #14232761 - 04/03/11 07:11 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Am I the only one that noticed this thread was created April 1st?

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gedankenexperiment
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: SuperD]
    #14233276 - 04/03/11 08:54 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:

Christ, I certainly hope not.

I lold by the second sentence.

I was a little disappointed though, because I was kinda hoping for a serious sticky that spelled out the exact opposite of the OP...  oh well....

--------------------

Signature (up to 750 characters).

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: cortex]
    #14233518 - 04/03/11 09:32 PM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Well, you or anyone else can feel free to suggest what you'd like: this thread will be a fine place for it. 

I'm now a moderator of this forum and figure the time has come for some tightening up of the requirements to post here.  We could make a rules thread, but I've started with letting folks know in the last two suspect youtube threads that a) posts must have some signifigant scientific discussion, not simply bare claims of miracles or suppression, and b) youtube threads will be shot on site unless they have obvious scientific merit/discussion c) illusionsofman is exempt from all rules and may continue to disprove the Pythagorean theorem every few months

Basically: if you want to talk about how the reptilians are hiding free energy from the world: go somewhere else, the conspiracy forum for example.  If you want to talk about the science of energy and why something can/ can not work, with actual reliance on scientific theory, this is the place. (Technology related threads are also fine)

Suggestions/Criticism are welcome

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

#14234311 - 04/04/11 12:28 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

johnm214 said:
Well, you or anyone else can feel free to suggest what you'd like: this thread will be a fine place for it. 

I'm now a moderator of this forum and figure the time has come for some tightening up of the requirements to post here.  We could make a rules thread, but I've started with letting folks know in the last two suspect youtube threads that a) posts must have some signifigant scientific discussion, not simply bare claims of miracles or suppression, and b) youtube threads will be shot on site unless they have obvious scientific merit/discussion c) illusionsofman is exempt from all rules and may continue to disprove the Pythagorean theorem every few months

Basically: if you want to talk about how the reptilians are hiding free energy from the world: go somewhere else, the conspiracy forum for example.  If you want to talk about the science of energy and why something can/ can not work, with actual reliance on scientific theory, this is the place. (Technology related threads are also fine)

Suggestions/Criticism are welcome

Sounds good to me.  I'm not at all suggesting moderation with an Iron Fist, in fact, as I've stated before, I actually enjoy illusionsofman's posts among a couple of other posters with similar style.  I find them to be a sometimes entertaining side reel to the norm, and they certainly cause no real harm.  There is no other Science forum that I know of that is a subforum of a website such as the Shroomery, and the reason we all came here in first place was because we wanted more info on hallucinogenic mushrooms.  Some of us, myself included, no longer partake in such hobbies, but I tend to get along with other people who do still use psychedelics.

My point is that you cannot have an S&T board on a website devoted to psychedelic drugs and not expect (and even tolerate) some level of mysticism, philosophy, speculation, and basically neo-Aristotellian armchair science.  It's not my thing, but it's going to bleed in here, unless we want to be a bunch of Science-Nazi's and slash down anything that doesn't really fit the bill of what we consider "good science".

I agree that OP's should have legitimate content.  I also agree that because it is a science forum, OP's should be willing to defend, debate, or explain their ideas in a manner that resembles simple, forum etiquette and follow some sort of scientific reasoning.  Posts that clearly have no real content ( like this one or this one ) clearly lack any original content, are repetitive, resemble spam, and should have been locked a long time ago.

But we have to be careful about trying to decide what constitutes legitimate scientific discussion and what counts simply as mystical philosophy.  It seems pretty simple to me to tell the difference often enough, but I just don't think we should bring the the Red Terror down on anyone who mentions cold fusion or time travel.  As you said, as long as an OP is willing to debate a subject along the lines of scientific reasoning, pretty much anything is fair game.  You just might have to post the Scientific Method in the forum rules for reference :wink:

--------------------

Offlineimachavel
Male User Gallery

Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: SuperD]
    #14234462 - 04/04/11 01:14 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:

wow really? :kingtard:

:wink:

--------------------

Invisiblekoraks
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: cortex]
    #14234585 - 04/04/11 02:17 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

cortex said:
My point is that you cannot have an S&T board on a website devoted to psychedelic drugs and not expect (and even tolerate) some level of mysticism, philosophy, speculation, and basically neo-Aristotellian armchair science.  It's not my thing, but it's going to bleed in here, unless we want to be a bunch of Science-Nazi's and slash down anything that doesn't really fit the bill of what we consider "good science".

I agree. I think 'arcane science' is, and should remain, a part of the subject matter that can be discussed here. However, I do believe that in such cases, the opening post should provide a starting point for actual discussion, and some guidance as to the direction in which that discussion is expected to develop by the OP. I think this should be covered by the rules john laid out above.

Invisiblecortex
[ H ] ψ = [ E ] ψ
Male User Gallery

Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: koraks]
    #14235511 - 04/04/11 10:26 AM (13 years, 16 days ago)

Yep, John seems to have a pretty good handle on this.  Glad they made him mod here, I've been thinking he should do it for a while now :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineOddEye

#14238359 - 04/04/11 08:23 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Lot of cool people in that forum, love science and technology. Great to have another awesome intelligent mod and happy to see the non scientific part of this forum gone!

I'd truly love more science thread in here, some people are just so sick knowledgeable.

--------------------
I'm at the highest peak, still glad the meak is understandin' me
Artillery, thoughts of killin' me is just a fantasy
The man in me is ready for war, like Holyfield-Tyson IV

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: A New Direction for Science & Technology and New Forum Moderators [Re: imachavel]
    #14238785 - 04/04/11 09:35 PM (13 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
Quote:

SuperD said:

wow really? :kingtard:

:wink:

No need to be so serious.  I look forward to you and the others helping mod the place.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

InvisibleBoom
just a tester
Male
Loc: Cypress Creek
    #14249810 - 04/06/11 08:45 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

haha I haven't been here in AGES...and I just read this thread and was pretty bummed out...and then I saw the date posted :smile2:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract