Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinejba6511
addict
tyvek for free
    #1423124 - 04/02/03 02:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

all words are not mine they are from AFOAF

I just read a post at nan's nook that said tyvek filters (I think thats correct) should be used with WBS and these could be obtained for free because the big priority mail envelopes are made of this material. does anyone know if this is what is being discussed. If not please hook me up with a link to the right place

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: tyvek for free [Re: jba6511]
    #1423196 - 04/02/03 03:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Try this.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Re: tyvek for free [Re: z@z.com]
    #1423450 - 04/02/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

This is fascinating. I didn't realize that "george castanza" was talking about this as well in his post yesterday on the same subject. So ok you can use them as filters on your jars, but that begs another question. Could one use the tyvek envelope material as a filter over the fan of a positive pressure glove box? Does anyone know what size particles (microns) this material filters out? How does it compare with filter discs or hepa filter material?

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Re: tyvek for free [Re: robinhood2]
    #1423465 - 04/02/03 04:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It allows very little air exchange so it will not work as a filter for a positive pressure glovebox. You can't really push air through it, but it does work great for air exchange on grain jars.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
    #1423479 - 04/02/03 04:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

it would more than likely burn your fan up

at least thats what kramer says :cool:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Invisiblerobinhood2
Re: tyvek for free [Re: george castanza]
    #1423499 - 04/02/03 05:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Damn.....well there's probably no reason to loot the post office then because the chinchilla still has a shit load of polyfill for his jars :grin:

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1423535 - 04/02/03 05:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

IME tyvek works much better for jars than polyfill.

--------------------

Invisiblerobinhood2
    #1423568 - 04/02/03 05:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Better in what way? Like you see more rapid colonization or just better moisture levels. The chinchilla told my friend that polyfill does him pretty good, but is there a big incentive that might make him switch?

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1423589 - 04/02/03 05:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Less contamination and faster colonization. I used polyfill for many many jars and it sucks compared to tyvek.

--------------------

Invisiblerobinhood2
    #1423606 - 04/02/03 05:45 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Fair enough.  The chinchilla has been notified and he says he'll give it a shot next time.  His last question is, how big of a hole in the jar lid?  With polyfill he makes a hole about 1/4".  For Tyvek, maybe 1/2" or more?  (The chinchilla has read a  tyvek tek about doing this, but just wants a second opinion on a good size for the hole)  :cool: 

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1423611 - 04/02/03 05:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I put two phillips head screwdriver holes in the lid and put the tyvek outside the metal lid. works great for me.

--------------------

Invisiblerobinhood2
    #1423653 - 04/02/03 06:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I don't know what others think, but this seems like a good thread for the "po' boy" who can't afford filter discs.  Now I've never seen the chinchilla do his whole "innoculation" thing with jars, but from what I've read it seems like you could just carefully lift your metal lid off, poke the syringe through the tyvek near the rim of the jar, squirt, remove, and replace the metal lid and screw the metal ring back on.  Does that sound about right?  :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: tyvek for free [Re: jba6511]
    #1423658 - 04/02/03 06:04 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I didn't say any such thing...why are you trying to
pin this on me?

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1423670 - 04/02/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I put the tyvec on the outside of the metal lid so i just shoot it through the tyvec and put tape over the hole.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation