Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Humidity w/ Perlite
    #1422879 - 04/02/03 12:34 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I finally got a humidity gauge, and put the gauge into my Rubbermaid contanier to later discover I have only 70 - 80 percent humidity!!! I can't believe my cakes even pinned!!! Anyway I have about a 1 inch layer of perlite on the bottom and it just doesn't seem to be doing the trick, how can I up the humidity level?

Also what is a good humidity amount to fruit a casing?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Humidity w/ Perlite [Re: MushyMan]
    #1422894 - 04/02/03 12:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

If you have moisture on the sides of your chamber you need a better gauge.

All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Humidity w/ Perlite [Re: Magash]
    #1422996 - 04/02/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Unless you bought a very high quality guage, do not trust it. Perlite used correctly is foolproof.

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

User Gallery

Re: Humidity w/ Perlite [Re: dog]
    #1423007 - 04/02/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Mist the sides of your container....that will up the level of moisture.

For your safety and security, we have a Secure Website.
Also for your security, we will not take your credit card number.
Your security and safety is of utmost importance to us.

Re: Humidity w/ Perlite [Re: ralphster44]
    #1423076 - 04/02/03 02:22 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A friend of a friend asked me to post a topic for him, but I couldn't get the link to work. I hope it is ok, to post it here. Let me tell you about my friend and his problems.

Bobby obtained a mushroom spore print and <em>The Mushroom Cultivator</em> from a nice little store. Unable to find agar until recently, Bobby (being VERY sterile) used a razor to scrape off some spores into properly prepared 1/2 pint jars with rye berries (from a health store). He had success colonizing most of his jars. At this juncture, Bobby discovered this web site. Wondering wether he made a mistake, Bobby went ahead and cased his jars using vermiculite and the instructional site <em>Casing for Dummies</em> Bobby may have waited too long to case the jars, because all he got was grey mold on the top. This batch never made it to the terrarium he set up.

Refusing to give up, Bobby went back to his rye and spores. He thought that with practice, he could make casing work on the first try. Using the same procedure and supplies, he colonized the cakes and prepared them for the terrarium. Bobby did not use a bottom layer of vermiculite when casing, and only used about an 1/8 to 1/4 on the top. Within five days, he achieved mycelial growth in his lightly ventilated casing container. He Placed the container in a 11 gallon clear plastic rubbermaid container with one inch of wet, strained perlite in the bottom. He wipes the top three times a day, and fans it out when he does thisremove stagnant air. The temperature is 74 F. Within two weeks, the mycelium has grown through evenly on the surface. There are little clusters of "white marbles". These clusters have been there a week and only get a little bigger. If they are not primordia, then there are none.

Nothing else in my firends setup has changed in several days. Using the above book, he identified Trichoderma (Green Forest Mold) on the casing layer the other day. Carefully, he sprinkled baking soda on the area to stop the quarter-sized mold. Now the questions:

What can be done to get this to fruit?
What about the mold? At what point does someone give up fighting it?
Should he cold shock next time?

Also, he has some birdseed jars that he started with a cut up piece of cake from the last two. The idea was to inoculate these with the mycelium chunks to have a continual flushing system. The mycelium grows, but slowly. The original chunks were rye. Should my friend case these, or should he just "birth the cakes" like the PF Tek? They are pint jars and followed the Birdseed Tek off of <em>Mycotopia</em>

On behalf of Bobby,

Thank YOU for any help
Big Juan

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation