Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Cool pictures of a few Newts and Mushrooms
    #1422256 - 04/02/03 02:16 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

Well, I went out on two hikes today...I was hoping to find more than only 3 species of mushrooms!! I was also on the look out for reptiles and amphibians. My friend and I were suprised to be walking and realizing that... Holy crap! There was literally 10 newts crawling around us... We took some pictures, kept walking and then...HOLY! We had to find at LEAST 60 newts in this one 25 yard radius of woodland. It was newt haven.

So we went out again at night to maybe find some other species of newts, but came up empty handed. We got out at about 9PM, and didnt return until 12 midnight.

Anyways, here's the pictures. I would highly recommed clicking to enlarge! :smile:

Here is the first species we found. Very rough and dry skin:

The second species with very slimy skin:

Here's a white coral mushroom

Here's a few pictures of an Amanita. There was a universal veil, and the base was pretty much equal. No real volva...slightly enlarged. There was a good 2-3 inches growing down into the dirt. I was thinking it could maybe be a "Sand Amanita", but, Im really not sure.

And the third type of mushroom...
White gills, white meaty stem, no veil growing underneath a fallen oak branch. I didn't really care about the IDing yet. I havent looked in my books, because its so damn late at night :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Cool pictures of a few Newts and Mushrooms [Re: angryshroom]
    #1422262 - 04/02/03 02:24 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

cool pics angry. i always look forward to when you post pics:)

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Cool pictures of a few Newts and Mushrooms [Re: blaze2]
    #1422385 - 04/02/03 04:28 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

In Oregon, Eugene to be exact, we called them Swamp Dogs. I once counted over 200 of them in a wooded area on the way to a pasture which was not visable form the highway.

They aare also called swamp puppies by ki8ds int he region.

mj

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1422725 - 04/02/03 09:22 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

Your Amanita is interesting. It's not Amanita baccata, which doesn't have a ring like the one in your photo. Did you happen to note any odor to it? Odor is one of the important features in Smith's key.

Nice photos, again.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1422905 - 04/02/03 10:46 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

I think the first one is a California Newt. The second one is actualy a type of salamander, some type of Ensatina.

Nice find man :smile: 

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Cool pictures of a few Newts and Mushrooms [Re: Gumby]
    #1422966 - 04/02/03 11:15 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

They are soooo cool! :smile:

I love them...watching them walk is so funny.

As far as the Amanita goes ToxicMan, I didn't get an odor!! :frown: However it was growing under oak in the sand. The stem was also hollow.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1423039 - 04/02/03 11:57 AM (21 years, 19 days ago)

They walk like there wined up toys i always think :-) the coral fungus is cool looking too :-)

--------------------

Anonymous

#1424362 - 04/02/03 08:34 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

The first is a Red Eft wich is a newt but when it becomes an adult it spends a year or two on dry land. They are quite beutiful when the are fresh out of the water almos a brite orange color. Nice pics.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Cool pictures of a few Newts and Mushrooms [Re: ]
    #1424436 - 04/02/03 09:08 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

I doubt its an Eft because angryshroom is on the west coast, and an Eft is a juvenile Eastern Spotted Newt (Found on the east coast). In most cases the Eastern Spotted Newts go from aquatic larval stage, to the terrestrial Eft stage, to the aquatic adult newt stage... although some skip the Eft stage all together.

Another thing that points toward it not being an Eft is the lack of red spots. Efts always have red spots on their sides, and typicaly have red to orange bodies.

Invisibleprince_toadstool
Punchline
    #1425590 - 04/03/03 07:53 AM (21 years, 18 days ago)

thanks for sharing your pics with us; i hadnt seen amanita like that before

--------------------
"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." Voltaire

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1426211 - 04/03/03 12:45 PM (21 years, 18 days ago)

Yeah, my buddy knows some stuff about lizards, snakes and amphibians, and he said pretty much the same thing to you said gumby about them.

That is a California newt int he first picture, and then some sort of salamander in the second.

On our night hike we were actually searching for the Great Pacific Salamander. I think thats what it was called, I donno. I was just looking for spiders and such, and he was near the creek, looking around for these big ass salamanders. We didnt find any of course :frown:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies