Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSmiley_Riley
kinda newbie
My First Birthing!
    #1422284 - 04/02/03 04:44 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hi people :smile:

I'm finnaly up to the birthing of my first cakes, exerything is running smoothly so far...

In the next day or so two of my jars will have completely filled up with mycelium... all that is left is about 2mm at the very bottom of each jar.. the myc is looking very healthy :smile:

My plans for a terrarium are to use a 45litre (aprox 10gallon) insulated cooler with air tight lid... the dimmesions for this being aprox 1.3 feet high, 2.5 feet long and 1 foot deep...

I plan to use a layer of Perlite on the bottom, and a 200wt aqurium heater (variable temp) for the humidity/heat...

I was just wondering about a few things before i go and get everything sorted out;  Should i wait a day or two after complete myc colonization before removing and putting in the terr. ? Does it matter that the heater cable will be allowing a very minimal amount of air/humidity to escape? With the heater, i'm asuming it has to be completely covered in water, and will a 200wt heater work fine for 45litres (aprox 10gallon)? 

I'm so excited and emazed that i could even get  this far into making something so magical as the shroom... (a few months back, i laughed and joked about sucha thing... "imagine growing yr own shrooms" i once said...)

Peace :smile: 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedorian909
yea, thats me

Re: My First Birthing! [Re: Smiley_Riley]
    #1422289 - 04/02/03 04:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

sounds good smiley...

as for the myc. growth... yea wait a few days after complete visible growth to ensure that the myc. has spread into the middle unseen part of the substrate.

as for birthing and fruiting, no extra heat is needed, i think you are thinking of creating an incubator rather than a fruiting chamber. temps for fruiting should be like 70-76F.

the perlite should provide enough humidity, just fan a few times a day for air exchange and mist occasionally.

well thats my opinion but im no expert  :smile: 

OfflineKilljoy
TheHyperdimensionalSlug

Re: My First Birthing! [Re: dorian909]
    #1422469 - 04/02/03 07:05 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

"You are the chosen one."

Only stupid people don't ask questions. :smile: :laugh:

OfflineSmiley_Riley
kinda newbie
Re: My First Birthing! [Re: Killjoy]
    #1423750 - 04/02/03 06:32 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The main rule is to not heat the dual chambered terrarium. Any direct heating works against the humidification and adds a drying influence. Do not use heating cables, heat pads or blankets. Don't shine light directly down into the terrarium. Keep any plant grow light (low wattage only) a safe distance from the terrarium. These fungi grow well at 60 degrees fahrenheit. PF has even seen them growing valiantly cooler than 60 degrees. They grow slowly when they are cool. When warm or at heated room temperature, they grow very fast. Strive for a growing temperature between 65 and the upper 80's. A too hot terrarium will result in lots of spreading mycelium, but no fruiting.

Yes.. acourding to this i do not need heat either... wiked :smile:

Invisibledobinky
infoseeker
 User Gallery
Loc: Wiki, Kentucky
    #1423753 - 04/02/03 06:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

when you birth them, put them in water and in the fridge for 24 hours!

its worth it!

--------------------
Today?s Pig is Tomorrow?s Bacon

Offlineliftedoff420
i need drugs

Loc: fo-1-five
Re: My First Birthing! [Re: dobinky]
    #1423915 - 04/02/03 07:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

if your gonna do cakes...i recommend you pin invitro as it will increase yeild....expose your cakes to indirect light untill you see pins start to form, then birth....trust me on this one

OfflineSmiley_Riley
kinda newbie
Re: My First Birthing! [Re: liftedoff420]
    #1424009 - 04/02/03 08:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey... dobinky, do i just dunk them in water then let all the drips drip, then put in the fridge.. or do i put them in a tub of water then put the tub in the fridge?

and liftedoff... you mean to leave the cakes in the jars until i see primordial growth, then birth them yeah?  I read heaps last night, and discovered that that was said in the PF tek... i must have overlooked it the first time... my applogies... :smile: 

OfflinefreestEYEla
doctor ofjournalism

Loc: all through da wabbit hol...
    #1426691 - 04/03/03 05:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

take the verm layer off, then fill the jar with jar with spring water. the cake should float.
then throw 'em in the fridge.

good luck

--------------------
I took their adivice gobbled heads and stems, drank vitamin-c enriched grapfruit liquid just to clense, my flem its been, half an hour since i ate em, still cant lose the after-taste from the bloomers, tell me why did i take em -atmosphere-

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #1426846 - 04/03/03 06:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

cough cough your freinds first birthing :smirk:

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineNephilim
Stranger
Re: My First Birthing! [Re: Psychoslut]
    #1426934 - 04/03/03 08:06 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

SMILY: when you dunk your cakes you can either put them all in one container and dunk them together or you can put them in thier jars again after the jars are cleaned out. Either way you can use tap water in a pinch(it has alot of anti bacterial properties to it anyway) but one thing you can do is put a spacer under the lid to keep the cakes pushed all the way under water. In a jar you can just use a ball of tinfoil or a ball of saran wrap. you can use a dinner plate or bowl or something like that if you dunk all together in a large container.
Also dont do what I did my first time- wait a week after they are 100% colonized so the mycilia has time to get into the middle. I didnt wait the week and I met the contamnations pretty quick, I always recomend to wait until you see signs of pinning. good luck Smily........Ive got my fingers crossed for ya

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Grow Light, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation