Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male

Please critique my track
    #14221179 - 04/01/11 04:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

In the past several years I've been listening to old electronic music masters, such as Tangerine Dream and especially Klaus Schulze a lot. I think their tracks have an amazing psychedelic qualities, especially the earlier works from 1970s.

I made this track in about one week and it's probably one of my most ambient works. It's a sort of a cross between Klaus Schulze's Timewind and Cyborg.

Of course, I don't think that my musical and technical abilities are on the same level. Still, I'd very much like to hear your opinion about this track.

The track itself is supposed to convey the atmosphere that one feels just before waking up from a deep meditation or dream... when the fantastic world of immaterial dreamscape is slowly giving way to waking consciousness.

Among other things it uses Theremin-like sounds a lot. It's quite slow in the beginning, but gets much more interesting as of 7:20. It's not very melodic, however it gets more concrete and melodic (in a way) towards the end.

http://www.vandonridge.com/music/downloads/Ante_tempora_form.mp3

or on soundcloud (although I recommend downloading the mp3 because it's probably better quality):

http://soundcloud.com/captainmoxy/ante-tempora-form

I'd also really like to know how it sounds when one is stoned. :-)

I can't experiment with weed or other substances now due to some health issues, but I'd like to know if it sounds good when high. lol

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinestranger_danger
psychonaut
Male

Loc: somewhere around here
Re: Please critique my track [Re: alphaone]
    #14221231 - 04/01/11 04:14 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

:feelsweirdman:

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #14223612 - 04/02/11 12:05 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Interesting pads. The pads are very smooth. It was intresting to here those mechanical and disharmonious noises that would jump out from nowhere. I also like how this song has harmonies but it also, at time, becomes disharmonious.

Nice work with delay. The song is very creepy at points. Its also very disturbing at points. The song is very long which is neat. Its definatly a journey.

I didnt like when those noisy staticy sounds jumped out at me. It was unsettling. That might have been what you were going for though. I love creative music like this. Its so fun to listen to abstract music.

I love those high pitch whistles at 13:48. Very nice. How did you create those?

What program did you create this with?

An interesting piece for sure!

Can you critique my song too?

Offlinealphaone
Big Detail
Male

Re: Please critique my track [Re: XUL]
    #14224918 - 04/02/11 08:59 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
Interesting pads. The pads are very smooth. It was intresting to here those mechanical and disharmonious noises that would jump out from nowhere. I also like how this song has harmonies but it also, at time, becomes disharmonious.

Nice work with delay. The song is very creepy at points. Its also very disturbing at points. The song is very long which is neat. Its definatly a journey.

I didnt like when those noisy staticy sounds jumped out at me. It was unsettling. That might have been what you were going for though. I love creative music like this. Its so fun to listen to abstract music.

Thank you very much for taking time to write this review. I really appreciate it. :smile:

The track was intentionally made to sound a bit disharmonious at times, because it signifies periods when I would be distracted or hurt by my health issue (a nasty allergy problem).

However, when one can't do much to stop something from happening, one has to learn how to move on nevertheless... and that's what this track tries to convey.

The track was made in FL Studio 9 with the use of the included Sytrus synthesizer. It is a very good and powerful synth - I recommend trying it.

I also used two separate delays which were added one over another to produce a very long echo.

The high-pitched sound you mention is a preset in Sytrus (albeit somewhat modified by me) which is called "Angelic whistle".

If you like this type of music, I definitely recommend checking out Klaus Schulze's Cyborg (the weirdest and most alien electronic music ever made) and his album Timewind (especially the track Wahnfried 1883).

BTW. I have some other tracks which are far more harmonious and more reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and even JM Jarre. They are listed at http://vandonridge.com/blog

I can certainly give my opinion about your tracks. Please list them here.

EDIT: I've just found the thread with your track and I wrote my analysis.

Edited by alphaone (04/02/11 12:24 PM)

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #14225390 - 04/02/11 12:37 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

alphaone said:
Quote:

XUL said:

Thank you very much for taking time to write this review. I really appreciate it. :smile:

The track was intentionally made to sound a bit disharmonious at times, because it signifies periods when I would be distracted or hurt by my health issue (a nasty allergy problem).

However, when one can't do much to stop something from happening, one has to learn how to move on nevertheless... and that's what this track tries to convey.

The track was made in FL Studio 9 with the use of the included Sytrus synthesizer. It is a very good and powerful synth - I recommend trying it.

I also used two separate delays which were added one over another to produce a very long echo.

The high-pitched sound you mention is a preset in Sytrus (albeit somewhat modified by me) which is called "Angelic whistle".

If you like this type of music, I definitely recommend checking out Klaus Schulze's Cyborg (the weirdest and most alien electronic music ever made) and his album Timewind (especially the track Wahnfried 1883).

BTW. I have some other tracks which are far more harmonious and more reminiscent of Tangerine Dream and even JM Jarre. They are listed at http://vandonridge.com/blog

I can certainly give my opinion about your tracks. Please list them here.

EDIT: I've just found the thread with your track and I wrote my analysis.

I think thats woderfull that the static noises symbolize something in your life. I love when music is extremely personal. I also love when the artists reveals what is personal about it. Amazing.

I used reason to make my song but I used to use fruity loops all the time. I enjoyed fruity loops, it was fun. I also recall using sytrus also. Its a neat little application.

I will definatly check out your other music too. Ill let you know what I think.

Cheers!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media