Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineInsango
Stranger

Greater understanding wanted.....
    #1421312 - 04/01/03 10:55 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I'm learning to grow the cubensis strain artificially, but to understand it completely it would help to understand how the real al-natural process works. Without knowing the climatic changes that take place, I'm still struggling to wrap my head around it all(temp/humidity/airflow). Ok this is what I do and don't know from collection wild field mushrooms from South Africa and from reading FAQ's

---When does the spore start germinating......does this happen straight away in Autumn when the mushrooms release spores or later on.....?

---Cubensis mycelium spends most of the hot(wet or dry?)summer underground spreading the network. Very little air, medium moisture and no light.

---Cubensis grow near or close too horse manure in a pasture. Do the cows/horses eat the mushroom spores and then it starts or do the spores get blow onto piles......? Do they grow out of piles or in the vicinity...?

---Pinning - mushrooms needs cold spell and extra airflow to start. This I would presume would be the start of Autumn. What would give the extra airflow....?would that be the mycelium growing above the ground or a climatic change like wind and storms....?

---Humidity - how does it reach the 90% humidity it needs.......? cloud cover....? is this from those clammy, sweat filled days...?

---Fruiting - ok so now we need hot weather and a high humidity....would this be like a hot day after it has been raining.......?

....basically I'd love it if you could explain abit about the life cycle of mr cubensis....it would also be sooooo nice to think about those sweltering days from back home......

Ta
homesick ~Insango

--------------------
Within us all resides a world not grey but evergreen.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
Re: Greater understanding wanted..... [Re: Insango]
    #1421326 - 04/01/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

---Pinning - mushrooms needs cold spell and extra airflow to start. This I would presume would be the start of Autumn. What would give the extra airflow....?would that be the mycelium growing above the ground or a climatic change like wind and storms....?

---Humidity - how does it reach the 90% humidity it needs.......? cloud cover....? is this from those clammy, sweat filled days...?

---Fruiting - ok so now we need hot weather and a high humidity....would this be like a hot day after it has been raining.......?

Well you seem to have a very good understanding of the process. I'll share what I know. The pinning process normally starts spring-early summer and late summer-autumn. When a cold front goes through, the temperature drops considerably. Also cold fronts normally bring rain and thunderstorms. The added moisture to the ground along will give the mycelium enough water to produce fruits. It is not really necessary for air exchange since they are outside and the air molecules are very active in changing positions. The mycelium produces fruits and then the temperature will stay warm for a period allowing the mycleium to recolonize any abruption. Withthe next cold front comes more fruiting and so on.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Greater understanding wanted..... [Re: Insango]
    #1421386 - 04/01/03 12:00 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

---Cubensis mycelium spends most of the hot(wet or dry?)summer underground spreading the network. Very little air, medium moisture and no light.

I believe that they do not really spread their network very far. I think they stay local to just the cow dung.

Quote:

---Cubensis grow near or close too horse manure in a pasture. Do the cows/horses eat the mushroom spores and then it starts or do the spores get blow onto piles......? Do they grow out of piles or in the vicinity...?

Remember, it is extremely rare for cubensis to be growing from horse manure. They will just about always grow from cow dung...(In N. America) In other parts of the world it is noted of their growth from elephant dung, and other grass feeding animals with big ol piles of shit :wink:

Animals eat the spores which have been blown onto and stuck to grasses in the pasture from the preceeding year. They will germinate after being passed through the animals intestine in the wet warm dung.

Quote:

Since they are outside, they get all the air they need. Cubensis do not need a cold "shock" to initaite pinning, they just need extra humidity, and warm temperatures. The humidity is brought by rain and storms, and when the area is warm, the air can hold much more moisture than cold airs can.

-----

Growing them indoors is a whole different method of how they will be growing outdoors. They grow in sub-tropical and tropical climates. The warm wet climate is best for them to thrive. They will not fruit unless temperatures have reached a certain level, and will cease to fruit once its gotten too hot and dry.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification