Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinediggitydankman
No longer aCannabisConnoisseur

Loc: Michgan
No more PC
    #1420288 - 03/31/03 06:13 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

I was thinking of a way to reduce the costs of cultivation and my chem background said why not try and raise the temp that water boils at instead of using pressure to do this. Well that being said there are many ways to do this that are surprisingly easy. Many common salts (NaCl, CaCl2, KCl2) will raise the temperature that water boils at by taking up surface area and not allowing as many water molecules to reach the potential energy they need to break free of the H-bonds that liquid water has. Well adding enough NaCl to supersaturate the H20 will actually raise the temperature that water boils from ~100C to ~ 110C. A pressure cooker will raise the temp to 250F at 15 psi and 230F at 10 psi. Well 110C is ~230 F. I have not tried CaCL2 or KCl2, but I would assume they would produce better results as they are larger molecules and thus take up more surface area. Any comments questions, feel free to post. Also note I am not a very advanced chemist and I have not tested the substrates produced this way.......yet.

--------------------
"It's only wrong if you get caught.
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Maynard James Keenan, Tool

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: No more PC [Re: diggitydankman]
    #1420314 - 03/31/03 06:30 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

My friend briefly thought about this option when he started doing grains. After he considered all the salt he would have to buy and drag home and the the time he would spend achieving the proper saturation point, only to boil longer because of the lower maximum temp he said fuck it and spent 35 bucks on a PC.  :smile:

Good luck on your experiments. Keep us posted. 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Offlinediggitydankman

Re: No more PC [Re: dog]
    #1421290 - 04/01/03 08:36 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

Actually it would not talk very much salt to raise the temp to the point needed. 30g of NaCl will quite easily raise the temp by 6-8 degrees celcius. If you use Ice melter salts (CaCl2, KCl2) Then you would need much less salt to raise the bp of the solution.

--------------------
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

OfflineDim
The Embodimentof the Conceptof Fuck

Loc: some terrifying, cold, im...
    #1421302 - 04/01/03 08:49 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

I don't think you want to have too much salt when growing shrooms... At least that's what I have been told. It can be quite harmful.

--------------------
"Once a nation bases its security on an absolute weapon, such as the atom bomb, it becomes psychologically necessary to believe in an absolute enemy." - P.M.S. Blackett

Offlinediggitydankman

Re: No more PC [Re: Dim]
    #1421310 - 04/01/03 08:54 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

If your jars are sealed well then you should not get any salt into them. The object is not to add salt to your substrate mix but to the water in your pc or other large pot used for sterilizing. This will raise the temp that the water boils at and allow an overall hotter temperature to sterilize with. This is essentially how a PC works only it uses pressure to raise the BP not salts.

--------------------
If consequences dictate
my course of action
I should play GOD."

Offlinecupid
Trust noone

#1421351 - 04/01/03 09:38 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

This will only work if your jars are airtight (ie NO holes in the lids) or they will just superboil dry... sorry but it wont be a success.

--------------------
Final last words... What's this button do ?

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1421356 - 04/01/03 09:41 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

Actually it would not talk very much salt

That depends on how many jars are being prepared.  :smirk: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Edited by dog (04/01/03 09:43 AM)

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: No more PC [Re: dog]
    #1421368 - 04/01/03 09:49 AM (21 years, 1 day ago)

I wonder what effect adding salt to PC water would do??? would it bring it higher than 240f? at 15psi??

might be able to cut down on PC'ing time.

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag