Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineigore
Shroomist
Loc: AZ
Dusty Grow Room/Attic
    #1420959 - 04/01/03 03:57 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Does all dust carry contams and pose a threat to mycelium? Someone has placed his incubation rubbermaids in the attic recently. He knows that fiberglass and cellulose insulation is treated with chemicals to make it uninhabitable by molds, but does the dust it kicks up still pose a threat to his jars? If not, he is considering birthing them in that same rubbermaid with added humidity teks and just letting them fend for themselves a little bit to minimize the amount of checkups and therefore insulation, on the substrates. Has anyone ever grown in an attic before?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedmc_illz
Modest Newcomer
Loc: Suburbia
Re: Dusty Grow Room/Attic [Re: igore]
    #1421067 - 04/01/03 06:01 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well dude, this guy you speak of, is kinda in the same boat I am. In the aspect that we need each of our tanks to fit snuggly away where checkups can be minimal for whatever reason.

--------------------
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23682 - Level 4

Offlinedmc_illz
Modest Newcomer
Loc: Suburbia
Re: Dusty Grow Room/Attic [Re: igore]
    #1421080 - 04/01/03 06:19 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

well dude, bob is kinda in the same boat I am. In the aspect that we need each of our tanks to fit snuggly away where checkups can be minimal for whatever reason.

My suggestion to bob is, to use sealable rubbermaid for his terrarium, and if new oxy and heat is a concern, just be creative, use an incubator type setup with a clear *SEAL TIGHT* lid and a couple fish tank bubblers, With his concern for dust, which does carry bacteria, its gonna be hard to check up on the progression of the mycelium without letting some of that fiberglass partical to get inside your terrarium or in the general atmosphere. Is there anychance you could like, make a little cubical with some black trash bags and some thumb tacs using the rafters? Make a little dust bearier, then bob might be able to go up there with a bottle of lysol, soak it down some, come back up with a face mask and do whatever needs to be done.

Since my terrarium isnt in a position to be played with much, I use an "auxilary" terririum. Its generally just a decent sized sterile rubbermaid container that can be light and air tight (air tight, very important) which i have been using to transport the materials to a more suitable environment to case, birth, dunk, what have you.... If you use a big enough auxilary tank, you can just kinda spray the atmosphere outside the rubbermaid, open it up and spray alittle, given your hands are clean and sterile (I reccomend using some Purell hand sanitizer), you can do alot of stuff safely in that little semi sterile atmosphere. Its worked for me.....

Back to the issue of bob's terrarium in the attic, Just using common sense, it wouldnt be too bad of an idea to spend a couple minutes setting up a little cubical for it to trive in, or some sort of isolation from the fiberglass and the insulation.

I dunno, dont listen to me, im stupid

*walks away suspiciously

--------------------
Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23682 - Level 4

Offlinebjkroll
Addict

Loc: Detroit
Re: Dusty Grow Room/Attic [Re: dmc_illz]
    #1421170 - 04/01/03 08:35 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

HEPA Filter. Flowhoods. Keep those two words in mind if you need mad air exchange. Certain cirumstances make cultivation a little more expensive :\

--------------------
"Everybody who's famous sucked the dick to get where they are today.
The only difference between us and them? We swallowed it." - Jimmy Urine

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, HEPA Filter

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation