Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
initiating pinning
    #1420298 - 03/31/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

alright, my friend has a casing that he's been trying to get to pin for 4-5 days now. it's probably not time to get concerned yet, but he wants to know why it doesn't seem to be working. in the past cases would normally begin to pin within 2-3 days. he lowered the temperAture drastically for about 36 hours (dont know the exact temp - it got incredibly cold outside so he opened the windows in the room the tray was in), And has been fanning it out. one concern he has is he's not quite sure on how often and for how long he should be fanning. he;s read different frequencies with different teks. he normally does it 4-5 times a dAy and just opens up the lid to the terrarium and lets a fan blow into it for a few seconds. should he be doing it for a longer span of time? also, he was concerned about the humidity level so he has only been misting once maybe twice A day. should he increase the misiting? there are no drops of water collecting on the side or anything. would a lack of water cause it to not form pins at all? are there any other suggestions on how to get his casing to start pinning? i thank you for any feedback

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: initiating pinning [Re: E Tard]
    #1420309 - 03/31/03 08:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Fan for a few more seconds each time and mist lightly another time or 2 if casing seems a bit dry..if you are using the same setups you have used before..just keep doing as you have been..Is it a different strain??...give it some more time..

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: initiating pinning [Re: motaman]
    #1420337 - 03/31/03 08:41 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

alright thanks for the help. He's having trouble determining whether or not the casing is dry and he was more concerned about overwatering than underwatering. he's using pretty much the same setup he's always used, but it is a stain he has never tried - mazatapec. it kind of looks like it might be starting to pin, but it's kind of halted over the last day or so. in some places the mycellium is starting to rise above the case but it's such to such a small height that he cAnt tell if it's actually going to form a pin or just growing in a funky way. it does look like there's more and more of them but i guess it's still too soon to tell if they're going to form pins.

there's one other thing that he has noticed and he's not sure if this happened with other casings - everythig seems to be pulling away from the sides of the tray. he has read that this is common after the first and second flushes, but being that this is still pre-first flush he;s thinking this may be a sign of underwatering. in the FAQs it says that this happens as the casing absorbs water from it surroundings, or osmething to that effect...is this a good sign that he isn't watering enough?

--------------------
I am not stoned.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: initiating pinning [Re: E Tard]
    #1420358 - 03/31/03 08:53 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well I have noticed that happening to my friends when he would case with a kind of flimsy container(Before any flushing)..When he would pick it up it would cause the container to pull away from the sides......If the substrate pulls away from the sides then thats different..and then you may need to increase misting a bit..But my friend mist his lightly every time he fans prior to pinning...

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: initiating pinning [Re: motaman]
    #1420419 - 03/31/03 09:33 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

the container is rather flimsy And sometimes he picks it up with hand and that causes a side of the container to sort of pull away from the substrate. it really could be because of that. thanks man

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation