Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Today in psychedelic history (03/29) * 3
    #14202581 - 03/29/11 09:43 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

• 1963:  Time Magazine publishes an article titled "Psychic Research: LSD"

Quote:

Psychic Research: LSD
Friday, Mar. 29, 1963

For a couple of freewheeling years, two young Harvard psychologists have carried on wide-ranging experiments with mind-altering drugs. At the university's Center for Research in Personality, they sent their graduate-student subjects floating off into other-worldly visions of new and fantastic forms of "reality" and a new meaning of life. Now the cosmic ball is over. Timothy Leary and Richard Alpert, both Ph.D.s, are being dropped from the Harvard faculty because university authorities agree with the medical profession that the drugs they used are too dangerous for campus experiments. But the two psychologists are acting blithely unconcerned.

In Boston's newest medical building on Emerson Place last week, they were settling into plush offices with the ostentatious title "International Federation for Internal Freedom'' on the door. They sounded as euphoric as any of their experimental subjects still under the influence of psilocybin, their favorite "consciousness-expanding" drug. Said Alpert, who has taken the drug himself 50 times: "Two years ago, dismissal from Harvard would have frightened me very much. But now, with deeper, intuitive understanding of myself, I'm perfectly comfortable." Said Leary: "This is much more important than Harvard."

Potential Hazards. "Our research has almost limitless possibilities for the expansion of the human mind." say Leary and Alpert, and they plan to pursue that expansion through their federation as long as their supplies of psilocybin hold out. Before Harvard cracked down, they had already given 3,500 doses of the drug to 400 subjects, mostly graduate students in psychology and theology, plus a smattering of M.D.s, artists, and inmates of a state prison.

The controversy that has flared over the Leary-Alpert work and similar studies at the International Foundation for Advanced Study in Menlo Park, Calif., is largely a result of the extraordinary potency of the drugs. Psychiatrists, who have been using them for a dozen years and are fully aware of their hazards, call them hallucinogens (giving rise to hallucinations) or psychotomimetic drugs (mimicking the psychoses, the most crippling of mental illnesses). There are three in wide use.

∙ MESCALINE, the oldest, is extracted from the tops, or buttons, of peyote, a cactus common in the Southwestern U.S. and Mexico. The buttons are used as a communion host by the Native American

Church, which claims 200,000 Indian adherents. They are taken for kicks by beatniks and hipsters, from San Diego to Greenwich Village, whenever they are available. The effect on the user is a widescreen, three-dimensional vision, usually in Technicolor, with the dimensions of time and space distorted.

∙ LSD-25 (short for D-lysergic acid diethylamide), by far the most potent, is a chemical relative of the ergot drugs, synthesized in 1943 by Swiss Chemist Albert Hofmann. As Discoverer Hofmann found, and countless psychiatrists have since confirmed, a dose of LSD-25 can be so small as to be almost invisible and still destroy a man's mental equilibrium, at least temporarily. As little as four-millionths of an ounce is sometimes enough to throw an emotionally wobbly individual into a mental hospital. One victim, ill for months, was a psychologist who was trying out LSD himself.

∙ PSILOCYBIN, which Hofmann first extracted from Mexican mushrooms and then synthesized in 1958, has much the same effect as the other two. It apparently falls somewhere between mescaline and LSD in potency.

Unqualified Buddies. Just who is entitled to use the drugs has long been a difficult legal question. They are not narcotics. The Food and Drug Administration has authority over the manufacture and distribution of LSD and psilocybin, which it has cleared for investigational use only. These two drugs are produced only by Sandoz Pharmaceuticals of Basel, with U.S. offices in New Jersey. Sandoz has supplied them to dozens of investigators, mostly psychiatrists, and to clinical psychologists working closely with psychiatrists. But some imported supplies of all three drugs, and especially LSD, have appeared on the black market. A competent organic chemist, with the proper raw materials and the know-how spelled out in patents, could make LSD in his own lab.

By last fall, it became clear that some psychiatrists and some investigators who were supposed to be experimenting only with animals were slipping LSD to unqualified buddies, who were using the drug for kicks. In Los Angeles, beatniks and assorted addicts lapped the stuff up, buying (for $1 apiece) lumps of sugar in which a drop of the potent raw material had been absorbed. Leary and Alpert, in their Harvard days, got a supply of psilocybin from Sandoz. Then, under last October's amendments to the Food and Drug Act, came stricter control. Sandoz, in an earnest effort to keep the drugs out of unlawful channels, promptly cut down its clientele to animal experimenters and scientists who are getting federal or state grants for research with human subjects.

Kaleidoscopic Future. According to some psychiatrists, all three drugs are useful, but only if they are given in small doses under the strictest supervision. Then the drugs sometimes speed up psychotherapy by increasing insight, and LSD has been acclaimed as a trigger mechanism that enables many alcoholics to face the emotional bases of their addiction.

But psychiatrists and other physicians in general are solidly arrayed against non-medical application of such potent drugs. They report many cases of mental illness precipitated by their unwise, unprofessional use. Clinical psychologists, who are on the borderline of qualification to use the drugs, are themselves divided. The Los Angeles Society of Clinical Psychologists has gone on record resolving that "no psychologist shall collaborate with a physician in the use of any experimental drug, such as LSD, except for research purposes in a hospital or university setting."

To Leary and Alpert, though, the controversy represents a power struggle over the control of human consciousness. They accuse psychiatrists of being behind the times and interested only in mental illness. (But I.F.I.F. has a medical director, Dr. W. Madison Presnell, a qualified psychiatrist, who now supervises the giving of all drugs.) They see a kaleidoscopic future for men with expanded consciousness.

Soon Leary and Alpert plan to set up a Utopia in an old hotel in Mexico, billed as a "community of transcendental living.'' Within staid Massachusetts, they hope to have "multi-familial transcendental living" in big old houses—if they can get around current zoning regulations. They dream of perfecting an "experiential typewriter." to record the pink elephants, rampaging musical waterfalls and the other phenomena their subjects experience—"so far beyond our normal experience that they cannot be expressed in our language."

"If anybody shows us a better road to happiness," says Leary, "we'll drop our research. But we don't think they will."

(http://www.time.com)

• 1974:  George Baral receives his second mistrial for his LSD, DET, MDA and/or MDMA lab

Quote:

Second Drug Case Mistrial Declared

A second mistrial was declared late yesterday in the federal court case of George Baral, 28, of Baltimore, on charges of conspiracy to make illegal drugs popularly known as LSD, DET and MDA.
  Baral's attorney, R. Price Nimmo, admitted that his client had found a way to make a drug similar to the hallucinogenic drug 3, 4 methylenedioxyamphetamine [MDA], which is controlled by law. But, he said, the drug Baral made actually was 3, 4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine [MDMA], which is not controlled by law. 
  "HE COULD stand on the street corner and give it away by the bushel basket," Nimmo argued.
  Asst. U.S. Atty. Irvin Kilcrease Jr., who prosecuted the case, said he has not decided if a third effort will be made to convict Baral.
  The jury of nine women and three men found a co-defendant. Michael Hamilton, 25, of Chicago, not guilty of conspiracy. Hamilton was charged with being an "errand boy" for Baral at a remote Robertson County farmhouse that Baral rented and where he maintained a laboratory in the basement.

AT ONE POINT during their four-hour deliberation on Baral's case, the jurors sent out a note to U.S. Dist. Court Judge Frank Gray Jr. asking about the legitimate uses of chemicals found in Baral's basement lab.

After consulting with attorneys for both sides, Gray told the panel that government chemist Harold Hanel and Dr. Donald Pearson, a Vanderbilt University chemistry professor called as a defense expert, disagreed about whether one chemical could be used to make anything except LSD.

(The Tennessean (Nashville, Tennessee)  30 Mar 1974, Sat Page 25)

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month: The Ides - Psychedelic Ride

Edited by Learyfan (03/27/21 10:24 AM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJoolz
Male

Re: Today in counterculture history (03/29) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #14203096 - 03/29/11 12:53 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Woot woot!  :bow:  :congrats:  :lsdabc:  :getstoned:  :trippinballs:  :shroompick:  :inlove3:  :hug: :peace: and :heart:

--------------------
Prohibition didn't work for God; Eve ate the fruit.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

. [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #16012209 - 03/29/12 07:36 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (03/29/15 03:34 AM)

InvisibleLucyLysergic
CoZzA FrEnZy

Loc: The Lion's Den
Re: Today in counterculture history (03/29) [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #16012248 - 03/29/12 07:58 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

"If anybody shows us a better road to happiness," says Leary, "we'll drop our research. But we don't think they will."

Gotta love Leary.

--------------------
All darkness disappears from those who carry the radiance of the sun In their hearts
  http://www.freeleonardpickard.org/ 

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #16012287 - 03/29/12 08:15 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

:grin:

--------------------

Edited by Learyfan (03/29/15 03:35 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/29) [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #18027136 - 03/29/13 07:43 AM (8 years, 1 month ago)

50th anniversary of this article today.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#21473873 - 03/29/15 12:19 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

Offlinealer
♡♤♤♡
Male

Loc: USA Flag
    #21473936 - 03/29/15 12:37 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/29) [Re: aler] * 1
    #23057777 - 03/29/16 07:42 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#24201798 - 03/29/17 07:35 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Annual bump.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#25098795 - 03/29/18 07:43 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

55th anniversary of that Time Magazine article today.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

#25903368 - 03/29/19 08:27 AM (2 years, 1 month ago)

45th anniversary of the SECOND mistrial of George Baral.  His arrest is the earliest MDMA lab bust that I'm aware of.  I personally believe that it was the very first.  Law enforcement thought he was making MDA, LSD and DET, not MDMA (which wasn't illegal at the time).  It isn't 100% clear to me exactly what he was actually making, but from all I've read, it appears that it was MDMA.

I have no idea how this whole thing turned out, but there were two mistrials (1st mistrial and 2nd mistrial) in his case.  He may have gotten off scot-free due to his defense that he was making the (legal) MDMA and/or because of an illegal search.  If anyone has any further information on this case, please share it with me/us.

--------------------

InvisibleChakanooga
Always Lmao
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wonderland
    #25903869 - 03/29/19 01:52 PM (2 years, 1 month ago)

Yay for loopholes.

--------------------
Official:
Facemelter
HyperspaceTraveller
NostalgicGamer

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/29) [Re: Chakanooga]
    #26564874 - 03/29/20 11:33 AM (1 year, 1 month ago)

:cool:

--------------------

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #26565790 - 03/29/20 07:41 PM (1 year, 1 month ago)

I lol'd.  Claimed he was in the "specialty chemical business."

I spent about 30 minutes trying to find additional information on what took place after the second mistrial.  Everything I found led me back to the Shroomery!  IMHO...nothing happened.  After two prosecutorial failures (i.e. a lot of time and money) I imagine (but don't know for a fact) the whole thing ultimately got forgotten.  Maybe a fine?

Looks like the lab wasn't even up and running yet.  Just in the "gathering of ingredients" stage.  Seems like the BNDD (as they were known then) jumped the gun on his arrest.  :shrug:

Mr. George D. Baral would be 74 in 2020. Hope he's alive and well!  :super:

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Today in psychedelic history (03/29) [Re: Nature Boy]
    #27273949 - 03/29/21 07:02 AM (1 month, 13 days ago)

Nature Boy, I believe Baral is alive and well. Or at least was very recently. I've thought about reaching out to him, to ask your question, what happened? But I chickened out. It would be awesome if I contacted him, and he's proud of what he did, and doesn't mind giving me info about it. But there's the distinct possibility that it was a chapter in his life that he'd rather forget forever. It could go either way.

What do you think? Should I contact him about it, as long as I make it clear that I'm in favor of his actions?

--------------------

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
    #27273955 - 03/29/21 07:17 AM (1 month, 13 days ago)

Of course you should!  It's a long past event, and at 74 I'm certain that if asked he would gladly memorialize this blip in his life for a person such as yourself and a for a forum so sympathetic to his endeavors at the time.  Given the dramatic turnaround in societal views on psychedelics, and the tremendous body of evidence as to the utility of MDMA in particular, I think his story would be well-received no matter the audience. 

When I'm 74 (not too many years from now!) I'd be all the more open to ANYTHING asked of me regarding my life - before it is lost to the sands of time forever.  At worst, he would politely decline.  I'd say 100% ask!!!  In fact, I authorize you to share your interview with me if you think it would help.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon pH Test Strips, San Pedro

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience