Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFloydian
veteran
what more must I do?!
    #1419863 - 03/31/03 12:48 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

Mycelium vs. Contams ...... round 2 .......... FIGHT!

4 more jars BRF/vermiculite were started with golden teacher. Saw signs of mycelium growth within 2-3 days and then pale orange spots starting within the white about a day later. Still waiting to see if these spread but they did last time so I'm expecting the same.

Lost all 8 jars to exact same contams during last attempt. Last time jars were just boiled, so the second time around a PC was used and grower assumed that this would eliminate the problem.

So what gives? Syringes were flamed over the stove right before innoculation and jars were PC'd for over an hour. Jar lids were closed tight and syringe holes left untaped as Tek's suggest that vermiculite layer will protect from airborne contams.

All the Tek's suggest that if using a PC the sterilization would be fairly fool proof. Does grower need to get super elaborate and start spraying lysol everywhere and wearing dustmasks and what not? Or is this just bad luck or maybe contaminated syringes? Is this because holes in lid were not taped?

Recommended sterilization practices would be appreciated.

--------------------
Don't squeeze the pancake batter

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinediacamomo
Children of theVortex

Loc: Inside My Mind
Re: what more must I do?! [Re: Floydian]
    #1419873 - 03/31/03 12:56 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

if you are doing brf jars taped the holes after inoc. and clean the all working area with lysol ,wash your hands and use clean cloth....

DON'T give up keep working on it.... :cool:

--------------------

Edited by diacamomo (03/31/03 01:03 PM)

Offlinedizzymystic
beezlebub
Loc: the stinkbug moon
Re: what more must I do?! [Re: diacamomo]
    #1419891 - 03/31/03 01:13 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

yeh a foaf's routine after Pc'ing the Jars for 45 min is to clean his bathroom really good with like this gel bleach stuff, unclutter everything and then innoc. in the bathroom. In the bathroom there's no moving air and its cool cause my bathroom needs cleaning anyways....and like in the kitchen there's all types of food things moving around i donno, no contams yet so try it...

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1419928 - 03/31/03 01:32 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

When my friend makes BRF jars, he tapes the holes and leaves the lid loose but covered with foil to PC. When the jars cool, he takes a shower and puts on clean clothes. Then he puts on a hair net and a painter's dust mask. He turns off all fans, air-conditioning, and such, and he washes his hands up to his elbows in warm soapy water. Next he sprays Lysol in the air and on the work surfaces and waits a few minutes before beginning. When he's ready to inoculate, he takes the tape off the jars one hole at a time just before he inoculates it being careful not to touch the lid anywhere near the holes, and he flames the needle between each jar. He tells me his contamination rate is about one jar in 80 using this technique.

Maybe it will work for you too.

Good luck!

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

InvisibleFloydian
veteran
Re: what more must I do?! [Re: Diploid]
    #1420101 - 03/31/03 03:54 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I figured it was just cause I wasnt careful enough during the innoculation.

One more question. Soaking the jars and lids in bleach diluted in water for a couple hours (after throwing out nasty contaminated medium of course) should be plenty to have them ready to go again, right?

--------------------
Don't squeeze the pancake batter

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1420112 - 03/31/03 04:03 PM (21 years, 2 days ago)

right.

--------------------
buh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale