Home | Community | Message Board

Marijuana Demystified
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHidingInPlainSight
Male User Gallery
Loc: Portland, OR
Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days..
    #1419942 - 03/31/03 03:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

6 days ago I innoculated a jar of Pennington WBS.. i used foil to cover the top and I was super sterile... i haven't noticed any growth so far and am starting to get a little worried.. the jar kinda smells funky but not bad..

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: HidingInPlainSight]
    #1419966 - 03/31/03 03:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

When inoculating from a multispore injection, it will take a while for spores to germinate on grain. That is one of the reasons why it is better to transfer a colonized agar wedge to grain.

If you can smell the jars w/o opening the top, and can tell they are funky smelling, you might have a little bit of a bacterial contamination...but, chances are you will probably get some growth within the next 3-4 days. If not, you might want to think about starting a new batch.

Its very important that you let your birdseed soak overnight...You will notice in the morning that it smells like crap, but this is just the bacteria which have bloomed with the addition of water. You will want to rinse afterwards a good 2-4(10) times and then load jars and PC.

Offlinethrice
Stranger

#1419970 - 03/31/03 03:59 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I hear wbs takes a while to show growth. I'm on day 12 and no growth.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Offlinetaters
french fried

Loc: the garden
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: thrice]
    #1420025 - 03/31/03 04:54 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I hear wbs takes a while to show growth. I'm on day 12 and no growth.

Time to start over.

OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: taters]
    #1420064 - 03/31/03 05:23 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I had the same problem. Nothing for 10 days then BOOM contams galore.

good luck

Invisiblepussycontrol
unregistered

Loc: unregistered
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1420091 - 03/31/03 05:42 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I had the same problem too, ive tried almost every thing
-cake to birdseed transfers. bunk
-syring inocculation. bunk
I rinse a good 10 times before i ever innoculate.

what else?

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: pussycontrol]
    #1420096 - 03/31/03 05:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like you guys may have either understerilised, or got a crap brand of wbs that is superhard to zap without lotsa prep. try a longer soak - 18 to 24h - then rinsing well, and pcing 90mins.

--------------------
buh

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
 User Gallery Arcade Champion: BurgerTime, Space Invaders
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: pussycontrol]
    #1420099 - 03/31/03 05:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

I had the same problem too, ive tried almost every thing
-cake to birdseed transfers. bunk
-syring inocculation.        bunk
I rinse a good 10 times before i ever innoculate.

what else? 

try a different brand of bird seed :smile:

--------------------

Quote:

pftek said:Impossible to clean everything right now. Maybe in a week.

ROTHBURY

:pm:

Offlinethrice
Stranger

Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: george castanza]
    #1420355 - 03/31/03 08:51 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hell yes. I think thats my problem. Damn seed is too dry. I think you can also try steeping the seed after you've soaked it.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Invisiblerobinhood2
merry man w/outthe tights!
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: thrice]
    #1420445 - 03/31/03 09:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The chinchilla at my friend's house has been trying another idea. He sterilized 3 quart jars of WBS over a week ago, and has been letting them patiently sit waiting to be introduced to some spawn. He told my friend that if the jars were sitting in an incubator or sitting out in the open, they are no more or less at risk of contamination. So this way if there's any contams, they will have a chance to show themselves. Meanwhile, his rye jars are almost fully colonized. So now when he adds the colonized rye to the WBS, it should be clean unless he fucks up the g2g transfer. And of course, he's hoping the WBS isn't too dry, but he did follow 6T's tek to the LETTER!

Of course I don't know what all this mumbo jumbo means, it's just what my friend hears from the talking chinchilla.

--------------------
"Rob? That's a naughty word, we never rob. We just.. borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Male User Gallery
    #1423233 - 04/02/03 03:19 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

day 8.. still no growth.. i have noticed that the seed is pressed up against the glass and when i flipped it i could see a white-colored residue slowly creeping down the side of the glass.

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1423261 - 04/02/03 03:27 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Doesn't sound good to me.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Male User Gallery
    #1435897 - 04/07/03 01:14 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

haha! i innoculated on the 24th... and guess what! no signs of contams or growth... the jar still looks moist and smells like it did whenever i first innoculated.  :smirk: 

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1435999 - 04/07/03 01:49 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This is about what a multi/spore innoc should look like on day 6 (with optimal conditions). That said, sometimes they just take longer to germinate. After 10 or 14 days, if ya got nada -- I would start over.

If no contam's are showing up by then & still no myc showing? Odds are -- the syringe was not viable, or possibly buncko. :crazy:

6T  :wink:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Offlineathena
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: SixTango]
    #1436337 - 04/07/03 03:43 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,
may I add to this thread as well as ask a couple questions?
This sounds much like the problem my poor buddy is having.
He is by no means a newbie, having done this before several years ago with great success.
Last week he ordered a couple of spore syringes from a vendor said to be reputable. He got one lipai yai (sp?) and one free Malabar ( what ever that is).
He used them on one dozen half pint brf/verm jars ( did 6 of each kind) one each of a very small amount of cracked corn, and 2 each of a jar of liquid honey water, and potato dextrose water. He did the liquid jars last, and then using the empty syringes sucked back up some of the liquid media to take advantage of the spores that always remain in the syringe after all the water is squirted out.
This was all done a week ago on sunday ( 8-9 days ago). Early today I stopped by his place to see how he was doing and what he showed me was that only 3 of the malabar jars showed any growth. None of the lipa Yai brf jars had anything. Neither of the small amounts of cc jars showed anything. Of the jars of liquid media he said he had been having trouble telling if anything was going on as especially with the pda jars as there was a small amount of potato sediment on the bottom of the jars. However upon shaking the Malabar jar we were able to see that there was a 'jelly fish' looking thing also on the bottom that kind of broke a little when he shook it. Nothing in the lipai Yai. But the most telling was the used spore syringes that he sucked some liquid media into. The Malabar syringe had quite obvious little feathery things, with spore specks attached, that floated and settled as the syringe was moved around. The Lipai Yai had spore specks, but no such feathery things, It just seems to have become slightly vicous or something, as if the potato sediment had thickened somewhat.
I asked him what all this meant, and he said he had never seen anything like it before as last time all his jars had germinated just fine by day 5 or 6 at the latest. He even said he used more spore water this time as he had 2 syringes to work with. He is saying it seems that the atleast the Lipai yai syringe must not have been viable. Now he is asking me what the heck he is going to do ( he's on a bit of a time table as this is all for another friend who has an anniversary party coming up). I mean the spore vendor sells his syringes as microscope kits, so how does one write back and say, "hey, one syringe must have been bad because nothing germinated."
What do I tell him to do?
Oh, and out of curiosity, where did those of you who are having similar troubles get your syringes?
Thank you for your help, Athena.

Offlineweazel
zugzugzow
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: athena]
    #1436651 - 04/07/03 05:37 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

be mindful of the temperature of the room the jars are in. too cold means slow growth.

Offlineathena
Re: Wild Bird Seed... no growth after 6 days.. [Re: weazel]
    #1436674 - 04/07/03 05:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Hi,
yes, I he has been trying to keep them warm ( not easy with the 80's and 90's temp, followed by a spring snow storm ) but it seems that they would ALL be stalled, as opposed to one kind germinating, but not the other. the most telling symptom is the used spore syringe that he sucked the liquid media up into. The Malabar one has feathery mycelia floating, but the Lipai Yai ones do not.
I think he is wondering what the heck to do if it turns out the lipai Yai syringe seems to be unviable. How does one address a spore vendor that sells syringes as microscopy kits about an unviable syringe?
Thank you for the response, Athena.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Microscope, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation