Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention?
    #1419539 - 03/31/03 08:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i think it is apparant that the war in Iraq will not and has not been played by rules of International law. With that said should the United States start fighting dirty? If not then why not and if so, why?

Many pro-Saddam and Anti-American people on this site see no problem with the iraqi's targeting civilian targets but if the United States causes some sort of colateral damage due to the Iraqi's parking "Triple A" in mosques, schools and hospitals they are the great evil.

Where do you stand? If you're against the US using these tactics but want to allow saddam to do this, explain your contradiction.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

Loc: England
Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1419542 - 03/31/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>i think it is apparant that the war in Iraq will not and has not been played by rules of International law. With that said should the United States start fighting dirty? If not then why not and if so, why?

LOL, Start?

Let me ask you this,

Is the entire rest of the world except Spain, England, and Australia pro-Saddam because they aren't helping us?

Is the pope pro-Sadam?

How far are you willing to take this "you're either with us or you're with the terrorororrists" dualistic idiotic mindset?

*** edited by Evolving ***
From the political forum rules,
"NO FLAMING ...if you can't state your case or refute someone elses case without calling them "stupid" or an "idiot"..etc...Then don't bother posting here. This forum is for intelligent debate, not to try to belittle someone that doesn't think like you. THIS WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED ...choose your words wisely."

--------------------
This post has been brought to you by:

www.thedarkunderbelly.com/phpbb

Never give up, never surrender.

If you're seeing bitterness, perhaps the time has come to clean the shit from your eyes.

Edited by Evolving (03/31/03 09:32 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1419544 - 03/31/03 09:04 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I believe that we must take all possible measures to limit the number of civilian casualties. If we do not we are no better than Saddam. We must hold ourselves to a higher standard.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: z@z.com]
    #1419545 - 03/31/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

> believe that we must take all possible measures to limit the number of civilian casualties. If we do not we are no better than Saddam. We must hold ourselves to a higher standard.

Too late.

--------------------

If you're seeing bitterness, perhaps the time has come to clean the shit from your eyes.

Anonymous

#1419549 - 03/31/03 09:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

According to the information we have we are fighting differently in this war than the opposing side. We should have a higher standard if we are in the right.

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: ]
    #1419555 - 03/31/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not sure but correct me if I'm wrong...

I think the Geneva convention was against the idea of one country invading another country when the reason for doing so was never substantiated and the vague reasons given are backed up only by forged or fake evidence.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: friartuck]
    #1419557 - 03/31/03 09:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't really know if it dealt with proper reasons for going to war. I guess that shows how much I know about it. (not much)

I only know it says a lot about the terms of how to fight and treat pow's.

Someone should post a link.

Cheers,

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1419562 - 03/31/03 09:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>I don't really know if it dealt with proper reasons for going to war. I guess that shows how much I know about it. (not much)

Like I said, I was guessing, but I think it's a pretty save assumption that the terms of the conventions deals with the reasons for starting a war. In fact now that I think about it I think that the only time war is justified is when it is the last resort, which was certainly not the case this time around.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419573 - 03/31/03 09:35 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Let me ask you this, ignoramus...

good one, do i have to make you look bad again?

Quote:

Is the entire rest of the world except Spain, England, and Australia pro-Saddam because they aren't helping us?

where and when did i say this? If you're going to just make up things to argue about then feel free to start a thread titled " Hi, i'm Doobie and i want to babble".

Quote:

Is the pope pro-Sadam?

see above, when have i mentioned this?

Quote:

How far are you willing to take this "you're either with us or you're with the terrorororrists" dualistic idiotic mindset?

there are self proclaimed saddam supporters on this site, feel free to read once in a while.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419575 - 03/31/03 09:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I believe that we must take all possible measures to limit the number of civilian casualties. If we do not we are no better than Saddam. We must hold ourselves to a higher standard.

I agree, i'm just playing devils advocate. Apparantly frier, AKA Doobie didn't see that.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419579 - 03/31/03 09:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I think the Geneva convention was against the idea of one country invading another country when the reason for doing so was never substantiated and the vague reasons given are backed up only by forged or fake evidence

is this the same place you got your information on the ABM treaty? 1441 clearly states what would happen to iraq if they didn't comply.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1419586 - 03/31/03 09:48 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>1441 clearly states what would happen to iraq if they didn't comply.

Actually, that's one of the vaguest parts of the war...what's it say "severe consequences" wtf does that mean anyway wtf wtf wtf, if only we listened to France instead of making fun of their armpits.

--------------------

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1419604 - 03/31/03 10:05 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"Many pro-Saddam and Anti-American people on this site see no problem with the iraqi's targeting civilian targets"

Who has said this?

I don't think anyone is for civillian targets being bombed. Nobody wants to allow Saddam to bomb civillians.

Are the Iraqis actually putting their targets next to schools and hospitals? I heard people saying they were going to before the war started, but I haven't actually heard any reports of this happening. Sounds like propaganda to me.

The reason people are standing up against the US comitting war crimes, and not Iraq, is that the US is their country, and is supposed to be a democracy. Bush is supposed to listen to his people, while it's well established that Saddam doesn't give a fuck what protesters have to say.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
    #1419608 - 03/31/03 10:10 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why should we not fight dirty? Since when has two wrongs ever equaled one right? As it was said before, we should be holding ourselves to a high set of standards. Saddam, who if he has used civilians as shields, and caught alive, will be punished for war crimes. If Bush were to use the same tactics, he should be punished for the same.

And just one question, who are the "Pro-Saddam" people? I've yet to see a one.  :crazy: Or are these just the people that oppose the war, and your viewpoint, so you feel the need to slander them?

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Phluck]
    #1419611 - 03/31/03 10:13 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Are the Iraqis actually putting their targets next to schools and hospitals? I heard people saying they were going to before the war started, but I haven't actually heard any reports of this happening. Sounds like propaganda to me.

according to news reports they're doing so. But i'll concede that it is just reports. You'd have to admit that it is not beyond the realm of possibility in the Iraqi world. I'm am not so insulated that i can't believe some of what's coming to us through our media, ie: republican guards shooting at civilians, suicide bombers etc.

Quote:

Bush is supposed to listen to his people, while it's well established that Saddam doesn't give a fuck what protesters have to say.

and he is according to about 78% approving the way the war is being fought.

Like i said, this question was more of a devils advocate stance. I think WE should always fight according to this law, too bad we are going to be the only side to do it.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1419614 - 03/31/03 10:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if France invaded another country despite the wishes of the Security Council, and the US was against it, our government would be freaking out hardcore.

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1419616 - 03/31/03 10:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Could you link me to a post where someone supports Saddam?

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

Anonymous

#1419620 - 03/31/03 10:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

i believe we are fighting dirty enough invading a country, killing innocent civilians, and labeling people who are fighting for their country, "terrorists".

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419625 - 03/31/03 10:29 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Countdown to Extinction

I'd say the pro-saddam supporters would be Rhizo, Zahid and to some extent or another Alex.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419626 - 03/31/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i believe we are fighting dirty enough invading a country, killing innocent civilians, and labeling people who are fighting for their country, "terrorists".

so you thinbk it's ok for us to use any means neccesary to topple saddam?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419627 - 03/31/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Actually, that's one of the vaguest parts of the war...what's it say "severe consequences" wtf does that mean anyway wtf wtf wtf, if only we listened to France instead of making fun of their armpits.

it was only vague to those that wanted it to be.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1419640 - 03/31/03 10:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The reason people are standing up against the US comitting war crimes, and not Iraq, is that the US is their country, and is supposed to be a democracy. Bush is supposed to listen to his people, while it's well established that Saddam doesn't give a fuck what protesters have to say.

We are not a democracy. We have never been a democracy. God willing we will never be a democracy.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
    #1419646 - 03/31/03 10:45 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

As requested, here is a link to the full text of the Geneva Conventions.

I don't think there's anything in the Geneva Conventions covering reasons for going to war. That would be covered in the United Nations Charter (another treaty which the US ratified).

Innvertigo, there is one obvious reason the US should abide by the Geneval Conventions. It is US law as well as international law. They were ratified by the Senate, and, according to the Constitution, that makes them US law.

Surely you could not mean to suggest that because a criminal violates the law that our police officers (or military, in foreign engagements) enforcing the law should be able to violate the law with impunity? Our society is based on the rule of law, not men. If we were to discard this idea we remove the basis for our authority to enforce those same laws.

Note that the oath taken by all members of our military service (and government officials) is as follows:

''I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.''

If Iraqis are violating the Geneva Conventions, then they are criminals and should be prosecuted as such. If any of our troops violate them, they should be subject to exactly the same prosecution (as required under the Geneva Conventions).

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1419651 - 03/31/03 10:49 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo, there is one obvious reason the US should abide by the Geneval Conventions. It is US law as well as international law. They were ratified by the Senate, and, according to the Constitution, that makes them US law.

I agree that we should follow the Geneva convention, i was playing devils advocate. Is there an echo in here?

Quote:

If Iraqis are violating the Geneva Conventions, then they are criminals and should be prosecuted as such.

If?

Quote:

If any of our troops violate them, they should be subject to exactly the same prosecution (as required under the Geneva Conventions).

I agree.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1419661 - 03/31/03 10:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>so you thinbk it's ok for us to use any means neccesary to topple saddam?

What?

>it was only vague to those that wanted it to be.

That makes no sense.

It was VAGUE intentionally so that the US could invade Iraq and still be within the realm of international law. It was dirty politics. It does not justify the death that the white man is bringing forth on the Arabs.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1419672 - 03/31/03 11:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

That makes no sense.

coming from you, i'm not surprised.

Quote:

It was VAGUE intentionally so that the US could invade Iraq and still be within the realm of international law.

your hatred towards the United States is clouding your logic again.

Quote:

It was dirty politics. It does not justify the death that the white man is bringing forth on the Arabs.

what? Playing the race card? Why am I not surprised.

I'm not sure you have made any points worth discussing, i'm beginning to feel sorry for you.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1419680 - 03/31/03 11:08 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Saddam, who if he has used civilians as shields, and caught alive, will be punished for war crimes. If Bush were to use the same tactics, he should be punished for the same.

Maybe he should, but he wouldn't. It seems that since the U.S. is the only remaining superpower, we can get away with just about anything and not have to answer to international law, as other countries do. But I'm sure that someday the American empire will fall, and if there are any surviving war criminals here, they will be brought to justice.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Anonymous

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1419723 - 03/31/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thank you again TM.

You make a great cybarian. I could have found it myself if I wasn't up to my eyeballs in the 10,000 things.

Very informative.

Cheers,

Invisibleadrug

#1419999 - 03/31/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

All this talk about human shields....what about the people who live around the airforce base in the middle of the suburbs here in the city I live? Are they human shields too?

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1420033 - 03/31/03 03:00 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i think it is apparant that the war in Iraq will not and has not been played by rules of International law. With that said should the United States start fighting dirty? If not then why not and if so, why?

This war was started illegaly,so what does it matter to bush if he "plays by the rules", or not? The only reason america isn't fighting dirty is because (from bush) "americas only interest in iraq is the liberation of the iraqi people", and to play dirty would contradict that motive and undermine support. Wait till the next few invasions, then the true colors shall be seen. Iraq is a test, to see how forcefully and aggresively america can move on to other evil or rogue states.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1420041 - 03/31/03 03:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

This war was started illegaly

I keep hearing this, yet I still am unclear on which laws were broken, could anyone fill me in? Thanks

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1420054 - 03/31/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hmm, dont know the specific laws that were broken...
They did go in without UN approval, but i dont think that makes it illegal. Mabye it wasn't nessecarily illegal......it just wasn't legal. I mean to invade another country without UN approval when the country prior to the invasion was currying UN support, then goes in anyway when the UN makes an informed descision not favorable to thier stance.

Needless to say, this invasion was not sanctioned by the UN, and world support was strongly against it....and for good reason too!

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1420070 - 03/31/03 03:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

It was VAGUE intentionally so that the US could invade Iraq and still be within the realm of international law. It was dirty politics. It does not justify the death that the white man is bringing forth on the Arabs.

So you concede that 1441 allows the invasion?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1420088 - 03/31/03 03:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

So you concede that 1441 allows the invasion? 

So you concede that it is an invasion?  :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1420211 - 03/31/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

This war was started illegaly,so what does it matter to bush if he "plays by the rules", 

Not according to 1441.  The next thing your going to say is that he wasn't elected. :smirk:

Quote:

The only reason america isn't fighting dirty is because (from bush) "americas only interest in iraq is the liberation of the iraqi people", and to play dirty would contradict that motive and undermine support. 

did i just miss something or did you just confirm the REAL reason the United States is going to war?  What happened to the "it's all about oil" you libbies have been spouting?  Either way i'm glad you're on board.

Quote:

Wait till the next few invasions, then the true colors shall be seen. Iraq is a test, to see how forcefully and aggresively america can move on to other evil or rogue states.

we'll see...

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1420215 - 03/31/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So you concede that it is an invasion?

ofcourse it's an invasion. How else are you going to oust saddam? Via e-mail?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1420299 - 03/31/03 06:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

As the globe's current super-power, I believe it's America's duty to act accordingly to standards that were set by us and the rest of the globe.

We are the contemporary model for the world. If you were raising a child, would you tell him that it is ok to stoop to someone elses level?

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1420321 - 03/31/03 06:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I would teach him to defend himself if needed, have no doubt.

If to you, that means stooping to someone elses level, then yes, that's what I would teach him.

Why, would you teach him to just let others beat him up?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
    #1420336 - 03/31/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Why, would you teach him to just let others beat him up?

This is something that I have thought about quite often. I would want him to defend himself, but only to the extent where he needs defending. If a punch is thrown at him, the proper defense (IMO) would be to block, not to punch back.

If you relate this to the current world conflict, you'd get something like this: Saddam has continually teased George (Has not thrown punches) and George has thrown a million punches back. That's not defense.

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1420350 - 03/31/03 06:48 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

You can only block so many punches before one lands.

The proper response is a overwhelming blow in return. This is the only way to discourage further blows.

--------------------

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1420360 - 03/31/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

> keep hearing this, yet I still am unclear on which laws were broken, could anyone fill me in? Thanks

Forged evidence is inadmissable.

I'm still not sure this is a legal war though. The UN refused to vote on the decision to start a war because the majority of the countries were against it. The US somehow took that to mean that 1441 gave them the right to start bombing. I haven't heard anything from the UN as to whether or not they believe this war is legal.

I am seriously betting that aside from the 4 countries that have absolutely said so, every other country thinks that we are in the wrong.

A legal loophole does not equate justice. Living in America should definately teach you that.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #1420398 - 03/31/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

physical conflict should always be the
last straw.

america should lead by example, not
by pulling the rest of the world around
by their ear.

in my opinion, there were other avenues
that could have been explored.

I think it was djfrog that said, "I'm not
anti-war, I'm pro diplomacy"

people make it sound like we had to
go to war because we have been living
in fear that Sadaam would attack us
at any moment.

I don't think that's the case.

and please don't cite 9/11

some of our *allies* in this war have direct
ties to al queda funds while I have yet to see
direct links between iraq and the attack.

I find it ridiculous that we all hold ourselves
in such high esteem, yet a society supposedly
so advanced and forward thinking still has to
resort to neanderthal-like reasoning.

the war on terrorism hasn't made me feel any
safer in my skin.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
    #1420536 - 03/31/03 09:12 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The proper response is a overwhelming blow in return. This is the only way to discourage further blows

But what if it doesn't dicourage further blows?

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Anonymous

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Skikid16]
    #1420590 - 03/31/03 09:46 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The definition of an overwheming blow is that the opponent is overwhelmed. That means they don't retaliate.

If you are going to hit someone you should hit them hard enough that they don't get up.

Cheers,

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1420620 - 03/31/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think the US should follow it to an extent. If there's no other choice then do whatever it takes to protect yourself.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1420870 - 04/01/03 12:54 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Both sides use Geneva convention only for propaganda purposes. I don't doubt that everybody violates or will violate them.

Yesterday I watched on TV the comparision of Iraq & USA POW treatment (John Walker case) and I found no difference.

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1420930 - 04/01/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

have you ever said "you know what, i think you're right, i'm wrong" on this forum?

or are you really right every single time you say anything?

--------------------
-
Captain Jack has been hailed as a brilliant scholar, discredited as a brilliant fraud, and mistaken for a much taller man on several occasions.

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

#1420931 - 04/01/03 01:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

You can only block so many punches before one lands.

The proper response is a overwhelming blow in return. This is the only way to discourage further blows.

Hate has a domino effect, it doesn't stop dealing its pain, until you hold it within yourself, embrase the feeling, and diffuse it.

from my expereince lashing out(unless in true self defence) never yeilds desirable results.

--------------------
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha
www.impeach-bush-now.org

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #1420984 - 04/01/03 02:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

did i just miss something or did you just confirm the REAL reason the United States is going to war? What happened to the "it's all about oil" you libbies have been spouting? Either way i'm glad you're on board.

Eeeh..what?
Your saying the reason we are at war is to liberate the iraqy people.
I disagree.
The only reason I can see is to stop the possible spread of bio/chem/nuclear weapons to terrorist groups who wish to cause harm to america.

If we are to put ourselves out as "liberaters" of people we had better do it all around and not just where our interests our concerned.

Not to mention finding out if the people even want to be liberated.
They may be content saying things could be worse.
They could be heavily brainwashed(N. koreans).

I simply mean we dont need a cloak,we are protecting our own ass from terrorist attacks.
We need to either be honest, or re-evaluate our policies.

There is a retired Admiral that recently passed away..i wish I could remember his name, he had alot of good ideas.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Captain Jack]
    #1421117 - 04/01/03 05:18 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

have you ever said "you know what, i think you're right, i'm wrong" on this forum?

do you wanna answer the question? If not then STFU. This isn't a question of if i'm right or wrong, it's a question of what should the rules of war be, if any.

Quote:

or are you really right every single time you say anything?

more times than a lot of libbies i'd bet.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: shaggy101]
    #1421118 - 04/01/03 05:23 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

The only reason I can see is to stop the possible spread of bio/chem/nuclear weapons to terrorist groups who wish to cause harm to america.

That's one reason i'll concede, but that is only one reason of many, liberation being #1.

Quote:

They could be heavily brainwashed(N. koreans).

I hate to change the subject but why doesn't the countries in the vicinity of Korea do soemthing about it then?

Quote:

I simply mean we dont need a cloak,we are protecting our own ass from terrorist attacks.

I don't remember the US hiding this fact.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#1421564 - 04/01/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why are we intrested in Iiberating Iraq, and not N. Korea, there not our neighbors.
We pretty much are Japan and s. Koreas army..China? Are they No.3 on the liberation list?
I think you missed my only point.

If we are trying to do some good in the world by liberating people terrorised by dictators(as it seems you are suggesting) Why wait for recent events to help out?
Why incite the Kurds to revolt only to turn our backs on them, resulting in slaughter?
Why are we the largest supplier of weapons in the world?

aaa..Do you really believe the number #1 reason we are at war is to help out Iraq?

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1421573 - 04/01/03 12:44 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Quote:

This war was started illegaly,so what does it matter to bush if he "plays by the rules", 

Not according to 1441.  The next thing your going to say is that he wasn't elected. :smirk:

Sure he was.  Just not by the majority.  :smirk:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
    #1421629 - 04/01/03 03:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why would we? We never signed it!

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1421637 - 04/01/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

do you wanna answer the question? If not then STFU. This isn't a question of if i'm right or wrong, it's a question of what should the rules of war be, if any.

yes, i've said "that's a good point" on the shroomery.
i called you out on this because most every post of yours is arguing and conflicting what others say. you're always right, never wrong.

even when you opened this topic up for debate, every subsequent post has been attempting to refute what others say.

STFU, indeed....

--------------------
-

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
    #1421644 - 04/01/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I hate to change the subject but why doesn't the countries in the vicinity of Korea do soemthing about it then?

Good question...Along the same lines of why is the U.S. even bothering with Iraq when it is clearly not a threat and is on the other side of the planet? Even it's own neighbours weren't worried...

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Edited by Rono (04/01/03 03:31 PM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Rono]
    #1421665 - 04/01/03 03:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Good question...Along the same lines of why is the U.S. even bothering with Iraq when it is clearly not a threat and is on the other side of the planet?

Terrorism knows no bounds.

Quote:

Even it's own neighbours weren't worried... 

except for Kuwait ofcourse.....and Isreal.

Most of my questions on this thread were intended to be that of the devil's advocate.  I want to make sure every civilization is free.  But why is it that the whole world is crying for the United states when it is logistically practical that S. Korea, China and Russia take care of it.  Hell put it up to a UN vote, maybe we'll send a couple hundred troops.  :smirk:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: Captain Jack]
    #1421677 - 04/01/03 03:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

As a matter of fact i did in the "Countdown to extinction" thread i believe. It was against Alex of all people. I mentioned that Iraq shot a scud and i was wrong because i listened to the news report on the radio.

Quote:

i called you out on this because most every post of yours is arguing and conflicting what others say. you're always right, never wrong.

I'm wrong from time to time, that's no secret, i just don't whine like you want me to.

Quote:

even when you opened this topic up for debate, every subsequent post has been attempting to refute what others say.

Did you NOT get the Devil's advocate theme i was going on? I only repeated it 20 times.

Quote:

STFU, indeed....

i'm glad we agree on something.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

InvisibleCaptain Jack
i [heart] you

#1421694 - 04/01/03 04:01 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

"i just don't whine like you want me to."

right. that is, of course, my ultimate desire.

"Did you NOT get the Devil's advocate theme i was going on? I only repeated it 20 times."

yeah i read that a billion times. but if you didn't notice, i'm responding to you in general, not just specific to this issue, as you should have picked up because i didn't say anything specfic to this issue.

but once again you just want to be right.... right?

--------------------
-

Offlineshaggy101
Male

#1421830 - 04/01/03 05:21 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Why didnt you pick apart my newest post?
Im sorry I am not really talking about the topic, for the record yes we should follow the Geneva convention.

Now get to work!

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: shaggy101]
    #1422498 - 04/02/03 05:24 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Why are we intrested in Iiberating Iraq, and not N. Korea, there not our neighbors.

That was my opinion in protest to other countries inabilitly and unwillingness to expell a dictator that oppresses his people and is a threat to the world. We, meaning the same ol countries, will end up liberating N. Korea.

Quote:

We pretty much are Japan and s. Koreas army..China? Are they No.3 on the liberation list?

We will not be liberating China, they're our most favored nation in the trade realm, which is BS in my mind but i don't make them decisions. What about Russia?

Quote:

I think you missed my only point.

No i got it but you based it on my opinion of what we should do or not do.

Quote:

If we are trying to do some good in the world by liberating people terrorised by dictators(as it seems you are suggesting) Why wait for recent events to help out?

I think other countries should be doing what we're doing but their are too many "France-like" countries out there that don't want to help out the oppressed.

Quote:

Why incite the Kurds to revolt only to turn our backs on them, resulting in slaughter?

your post was going good until this statement. That happened just after 1991 and has nothing to do with the topic at hand. That was a mistake that the United States made, we aren't perfect no matter how much other countries think we should be.

Quote:

Why are we the largest supplier of weapons in the world?

Why do we have all these weapons but don't use them on innocent civilians? (don't give me the collateral damage argument that is baseless).

Quote:

Do you really believe the number #1 reason we are at war is to help out Iraq?

and to stop the funding of terrorists, Stablize the oil supply and liberate the Iraqi people. This is what I believe. We did the EXACT same thing in bosnia and the world thanked us, it's too bad their memory is so short.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1422606 - 04/02/03 07:30 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

There was a war going on in Bosnia and USA stopped it while there was no war in Iraq and USA started it. (BTW the Serbian army used cluster bombs and when they bombed the Sarajevo marketplace they said that bosnians did it to make them look bad.)
We'll see what happens, but so far it seems that Iraq would be better off without intervention. I have a feeling that the world won't thank you for this.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: zeronio]
    #1422610 - 04/02/03 07:42 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

There was a war going on in Bosnia and USA stopped it

Devil's advocate:

But it was none of our business. It wasn't OUR war.

Quote:

there was no war in Iraq and USA started it.

The human rights violations were the same and that's the reason we got involved in bosnia, you know, ethnic cleansing.

Quote:

(BTW the Serbian army used cluster bombs and when they bombed the Sarajevo marketplace they said that bosnians did it to make them look bad.)

tell it to the Serbs, i am an american.

Quote:

We'll see what happens, but so far it seems that Iraq would be better off without intervention.

yeah, it's ok when people are executed because they express thier desire to be free. The hypocrisy is extremely loud (not you specifically)

Quote:

I have a feeling that the world won't thank you for this.

That's fine, we're not looking for thanks. The world sat on their hands while honorable countries like The United States, Britain, Spain, Australia, Poland and an upwards of 50+ countries took care of the dirty work. The world should be ashamed.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1422623 - 04/02/03 07:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

That's fine, we're not looking for thanks. The world sat on their hands while honorable countries like The United States, Britain, Spain, Australia, Poland and an upwards of 50+ countries took care of the dirty work. The world should be ashamed.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Should the US Follow the Geneva Convention? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1422638 - 04/02/03 08:14 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Let the contradiction commence.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1423079 - 04/02/03 12:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think it just ended.

I know a place where you can buy brains.

Do you wanna buy a brain?

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1423089 - 04/02/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

your post was so unfunny I'm not sure if I should encourage you. i think i can actually hear you getting more irrelevant. Comedy isn't your strong point, is it?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by Innvertigo (04/02/03 12:29 PM)

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

#1423445 - 04/02/03 02:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My country is also listed among the war supporters.
I'm ashamed.

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1423560 - 04/02/03 03:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

So that's a no then?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1423564 - 04/02/03 03:32 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I think it just ended.

I know a place where you can buy brains.

Do you wanna buy a brain?

So, what are you, like 2?

Or is it fetal alcohol syndrome?

--------------------

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
    #1423573 - 04/02/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'm gonna go with crack baby.

--------------------

Edited by z@z.com (04/02/03 03:36 PM)

Offlinefriartuck
Man of God

#1423579 - 04/02/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think there's a discount if you buy in bulk.

You three should look into it.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1423582 - 04/02/03 03:37 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Crack baby eh? I'll go along with that.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds