Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleEarth Child

Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run * 1
    #14192942 - 03/27/11 03:37 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Researchers from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health have shown that methadone, which has been used to treat heroin addicts for nearly 50 years, affects the brain and impairs the attention of experimental animals.

In general, opioids such as heroin and morphine are known to weaken intellectual functions such as learning, memory and attention.

"It is therefore tempting to assume that methadone has similar effects," says researcher Jannike M. Andersen at the NIPH's Division of Forensic Toxicology and Drug Abuse.

In a new study, Andersen and colleagues treated rats daily with methadone for three weeks and studied the rats' attention. The researchers measured how long the rats examined a new object introduced into their cage. The results show that the treatment clearly reduced the attention of the animals. This was true both when the rats had methadone in the body and, more importantly - a day after the last treatment, when the methadone had been excreted.

"The fact that the attention is impaired even after the drug was no longer present in the body suggests that methadone causes changes in brain cells," says Andersen.

http://www.medindia.net/news/Continued-Methadone-Treatment-Weakens-Brain-Function-in-the-Long-Run-82801-1.htm

--------------------
Life is too short for this sorrow. You may be here today and gone tomorrow.

My Poetry · Stay Informed · Recipes · Nature Wants Us to Trip

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: Earth Child]
    #14193054 - 03/27/11 03:58 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Is that really impairing? I don't have much knowledge on the subject but i'd expect that our human brain can easily adapt and restore to it's former state after three weeks of continued methadone administration...

If I smoke weed for three weeks or take any other kind of drug for three weeks I have small impairment aswell :lol: so in my view they're just pointing out the obvious :shrug:

Besides we have a bigger attention span then rats, DONT WE!? I don't think rats are the right subject to test on.

This is just stupid the more I think about it :lol: . It's people with an opiate addiction trying to kick their habbit, if they have taken their usage (months, years) that far that they consider methadone...  I don't think it really matters if they're exposed to this chemical for the time that they are kicking.

kicking the opiate addiction in the end will make them stronger anyway :happyweed:

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Anytown, USA 12345 Flag
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: Beanhead]
    #14193232 - 03/27/11 04:32 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Maybe the rats studied the object for less time because the methadone made them MORE observant and they took in all the details quicker.

Invisiblebigmike7104
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: USA Flag
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: Beanhead]
    #14193243 - 03/27/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

that methadone causes changes in brain cells

what doesn't cause changes in brain cells?

--------------------
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Withering my intuition, missing opportunities and I must
Feed my will to feel my moment drawing way outside the lines

OfflineValafar
Striking for the gentle
Male

Loc: Vermont/Maine
    #14193249 - 03/27/11 04:34 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
Is that really impairing? I don't have much knowledge on the subject but i'd expect that our human brain can easily adapt and restore to it's former state after three weeks of continued methadone administration...

If I smoke weed for three weeks or take any other kind of drug for three weeks I have small impairment aswell :lol: so in my view they're just pointing out the obvious :shrug:

Besides we have a bigger attention span then rats, DONT WE!? I don't think rats are the right subject to test on.

This is just stupid the more I think about it :lol: . It's people with an opiate addiction trying to kick their habbit, if they have taken their usage (months, years) that far that they consider methadone...  I don't think it really matters if they're exposed to this chemical for the time that they are kicking.

kicking the opiate addiction in the end will make them stronger anyway :happyweed:

Most people who try and use Methadone to kick opiate or heroin use just end up methadone addicts, which is just about as bad for you and still gets you just about as high but its legal... The whole idea of it is kinda stupid, there are a shit ton of people in northern Maine who are methadone addicts and use the stuff everyday, cant be very good for you.
Also yes of coarse we have a bigger attention span then rats but if a rat attention span lessens due to taking a rat sized does of methadone constantly then you can then assume that a human taking a human size does would have theirs lessened too. And it seems they are talking long term permanent damage, while some drugs like mdma and weed will fuck up your brain if you use them all the time but will return to normal if you stop for a bit some drugs actually do cause permanganate damage. Try and find a nitrous junkie or someone who huffs paint all day and even if they have been sober for a long time there will still be lasting effects.

--------------------
"Tolling for the searching ones, on their speechless, seeking trail
For the lonesome-hearted lovers with too personal a tale
And for each unharmful, gentle soul misplaced inside a jail
And we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing"

OfflineSalviNate
Misnomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dablands Flag
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: Valafar]
    #14193335 - 03/27/11 04:58 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

I think they were just high and diddnt give a fuck lol,
and when taken off the drug they were too probably too dope-sick to move..

--------------------

OfflinePeterGriffin467
Dirt Grub
Male

Loc: six feet under
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: Valafar]
    #14193365 - 03/27/11 05:04 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Using methadone at a stable maintenance dose will not get you high, you will experience the "honeymoon phase" for a bit and then adjust to your dose and you wont feel high at all anymore.  Opiate replacement therapy with methadone (or suboxone) is not stupid and no using methadone is not as harmful as heroin as you said.  Getting a consistant stable dosage of pharm grade methadone is not going to cause anyone to OD like with heroin and as with all opiates methadone is pretty benign physicaly, it will of course cause some issues mentally but like beanhead said when somebody is at the point of considering going on methadone maintenance they are already addicts and their brains have already been re wired for lack of a better term from using opiates for so long. 

This study is stupid, they dosed them for 3 weeks meaning that the methadone would still be getting the rats intoxicated so of course their attention span was decreased, and then they stop the methadone for one freakin day and test them again and say that their attention span is still decreased "after the methadone has been excreted".  Anyone with half a brain knows methaone is so long acting that it would take well over a fucking day for that to happen.  For this study to mean anything they would have to give them methadone for 6 months to a year at least so they were stabilized on the dosage and being maintained without feeling intoxicated like normal methadone patients and then taper them off and let them detox and then test their attention several months after they had stopped the methadone.  All this study did was dope up a bunch of rats for 3 weeks which is not how MMT works.

--------------------
"I just need to check inside ya asshole SIR.... Asshole clear!"

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

#14193381 - 03/27/11 05:07 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Ive been on methadone for almost 10 years, and I have nothing but praise for it. It saved my life, for sure. When taken as prescribed, BTW, it gets you about as high as an Advil.

But I live in Mid-Coast Maine- not Northern Maine, so I guess Im OK!

How methadone changed my life:

When on H, I lied, cheated and stole to support my habit- which was $200/day- now I pay $85/week, which I work to earn.

H= needles. methadone=no needles (except for multispore solutions!)

H= high, drooling, nodding out, OUI, bad decisions ect. Methadone = normal You would never know I was on methadone.

Many studies have been done over the 50 years methadone has been used and it has repeatedly been found safe- even for long-term use. I am 100% sure I would be dead or in prison if not for methadone. Worse, I may have killed an innocent person during drug deals, or OUI. I thank God every day that never happened. There  are many people who abuse methadone- either taking it not as prescribed or by mixing it with other drugs. But ANY drug can be mis-used. When used as prescribed, methadone can and is very effective for SOME people who do not respond to other treatments well. It is NOT right for everyone. And, there are some problems with it, for sure. But I'm sure glad it was an option for me. I hate to think of what the alternitive would be.

"They call it 'liquid handcuffs',
They say I'll be its slave
They tell me it might even
Put me in an early grave

'Methadone is evil',
They say it rots your bones
Just to pay your clinics fees
I'll have to take out several loans

They say that all my feelings
Will be numb as numb can be
The normal ups and downs of life
Won't register with me

They say I'll stand in line
With the dealers and the junkies
And on my back I'll carry
One mean Methadone monkey

They really do confuse me
I know they can't be right
Because I'm going home to sleep
In my warm, snug home tonight

It's filled with love and laughter
My loved ones by my side
And I am finally able
To be mother, wife and guide

To trust in me they're able
To know that I'll be there
Of cravings and of misery
I no longer am aware

I get up and go to work each day,
And I bring my paycheck back
For food and clothes and playthings
My kids no longer lack

I no longer feel so sad
So depressed and blue each day
I used to think that anything
Would beat living life that way

But now I feel a happiness
And a joy I can extol
My mind that did not function right
Has finally been made whole

So please before you tell me
That Methadones so bad
Just ask my family how they feel
They've gone from sad to glad

And isn't getting better
What recovery's all about
It's not 'my way' or 'your way'
But how it all comes out

~~Author Unknown

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #14193396 - 03/27/11 05:11 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

:thumbup: 

Quote:

PeterGriffin467 said:
Using methadone at a stable maintenance dose will not get you high, you will experience the "honeymoon phase" for a bit and then adjust to your dose and you wont feel high at all anymore.  Opiate replacement therapy with methadone (or suboxone) is not stupid and no using methadone is not as harmful as heroin as you said.  Getting a consistant stable dosage of pharm grade methadone is not going to cause anyone to OD like with heroin and as with all opiates methadone is pretty benign physicaly, it will of course cause some issues mentally but like beanhead said when somebody is at the point of considering going on methadone maintenance they are already addicts and their brains have already been re wired for lack of a better term from using opiates for so long. 

This study is stupid, they dosed them for 3 weeks meaning that the methadone would still be getting the rats intoxicated so of course their attention span was decreased, and then they stop the methadone for one freakin day and test them again and say that their attention span is still decreased "after the methadone has been excreted".  Anyone with half a brain knows methaone is so long acting that it would take well over a fucking day for that to happen.  For this study to mean anything they would have to give them methadone for 6 months to a year at least so they were stabilized on the dosage and being maintained without feeling intoxicated like normal methadone patients and then taper them off and let them detox and then test their attention several months after they had stopped the methadone.  All this study did was dope up a bunch of rats for 3 weeks which is not how MMT works.

OfflinePeterGriffin467
Dirt Grub
Male

Loc: six feet under
Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: bateyes88]
    #14193406 - 03/27/11 05:15 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Methadone maintenance is here to stay and isnt going anywhere, its a big money maker for these clinics and also the only other opioid maintenance option available for now anyway is suboxone which I am on and all I have to say is it sucks as a maintenance drug, it gets worse and worse everyday and it doesnt even address cravings.  I will be going to methadone as soon as I can afford it, I am going to be on maintenance for possibly my whole life and suboxone isnt right for me.  I wish suboxone would of never been made that way I would of gone on methadone 8 months ago but instead I blew off the clinic and went on suboxone at the last second because I bought into the suboxone hype of it being the next best thing for opiate addiction, worst mistake I could of made.

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: PeterGriffin467]
    #14193477 - 03/27/11 05:32 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Best of luck to ya, Bro. I truly hope you find something that works for ya. I, too, will prob be on maintenance drugs for life. Methadone works great for me (and my wife). It is expensive, but compared to 3 80's a day- at $100 ea, or a bundle at $250- the $85/week is money WELL spent for me.

I wish clinics were more willing to work w/ folks re finances. Maybe a government run clinic would be a good idea. They say for every 1$ spent on methadone, 7$ is saved- mostly DOC money.(jail)

Good luck. I wish subs was working better for ya. Hopefully you can get into MMT soon!

OfflineValafar
Striking for the gentle
Male

Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: bateyes88]
    #14193762 - 03/27/11 06:45 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

bateyes88 said:
Ive been on methadone for almost 10 years, and I have nothing but praise for it. It saved my life, for sure. When taken as prescribed, BTW, it gets you about as high as an Advil.

But I live in Mid-Coast Maine- not Northern Maine, so I guess Im OK!

How methadone changed my life:

When on H, I lied, cheated and stole to support my habit- which was $200/day- now I pay $85/week, which I work to earn.

H= needles. methadone=no needles (except for multispore solutions!)

H= high, drooling, nodding out, OUI, bad decisions ect. Methadone = normal You would never know I was on methadone.

Many studies have been done over the 50 years methadone has been used and it has repeatedly been found safe- even for long-term use. I am 100% sure I would be dead or in prison if not for methadone. Worse, I may have killed an innocent person during drug deals, or OUI. I thank God every day that never happened. There  are many people who abuse methadone- either taking it not as prescribed or by mixing it with other drugs. But ANY drug can be mis-used. When used as prescribed, methadone can and is very effective for SOME people who do not respond to other treatments well. It is NOT right for everyone. And, there are some problems with it, for sure. But I'm sure glad it was an option for me. I hate to think of what the alternitive would be.

Pretty much proven me wrong, good to hear from someone it has really helped :smile: :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

#14193903 - 03/27/11 07:07 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Glad youre open-minded. There are a lot of people that abuse or misuse methadone and it gives those of us it helps a bad name. You can be fairly sure that those that are getting high from methadone are either 1. just starting methadone, or 2. taking benzos.
Benzodiazapams and methadone is a bad, bad, bad idea. You could take, say 40 mg of methadone a day, and 2 mg of Xanax a day, everyday for a year and be fine. Then, one day, its enough kill you. For some reason normal tolerances are out the window.
But, anyway. I appreciate that willing to listen to both sides of the story. Usually, with methadone, people have preconcieved ideas and are unwilling to listen to those its helped.
I am open to, and encourage, more studies where methadone is concerned. Where I plan on being on it for a while, I want to learn, and want Dr.s and scientists    to learn all that can be learned about it. The above study, however, is laughable. Such short term studies- on anything for that matter- are inconclusive at best and dangerous-even deadly- at worst!

OfflineValafar
Striking for the gentle
Male

#14193965 - 03/27/11 07:19 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

bateyes88 said:
The above study, however, is laughable. Such short term studies- on anything for that matter- are inconclusive at best and dangerous-even deadly- at worst!

Very true, I misread or got the impression that it was a long term study as I thought they would never ever release short team test data because that really is dumb

Quote:

bateyes88 said:
Glad youre open-minded. There are a lot of people that abuse or misuse methadone and it gives those of us it helps a bad name. You can be fairly sure that those that are getting high from methadone are either 1. just starting methadone, or 2. taking benzos.
Benzodiazapams and methadone is a bad, bad, bad idea. You could take, say 40 mg of methadone a day, and 2 mg of Xanax a day, everyday for a year and be fine. Then, one day, its enough kill you. For some reason normal tolerances are out the window.
But,

Got to be open minded to learn :smile:
And I do know a few people who abuse it and I assume they are taking zannies too, I am glad to hear from someone 1st hand that it has really helped and not just from the people giving it a bad name.
Props to living in Maine too, its a beautiful and great state and the place I will always call home :smile:

--------------------

Offlinekoopa_troopa
the fun guy
Male User Gallery

#14193971 - 03/27/11 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

These researchers obviously have problems thinking outside the box, as with any drug including alcohol, the rats payed less attention to the objects while under the influence because they simply DID NOT CARE lol.. sad but true, they were probably nodding and too busy scratching there balls to give a fuck about some object in the cage... and I am no expert in the neurobiology of rodents, but after 3 weeks of daily methadone use I would assume the mice were freaking withdrawing from cessation of the drug and could give a fuck less about what object was put in the cage while they cursed the researchers while shaking in the corner lol... same would happen with any drug, who remembers as much from a movie while drunk compared to sober??

--------------------

Koopa Out
OfThisWorld,SmilingDownOnOurs: BirsdEyeView,NeverNewLife,PastsFastAsCars

Offlinebateyes88
Professional Amateur
Male User Gallery

Re: Continued Methadone Treatment Weakens Brain Function in the Long Run [Re: koopa_troopa]
    #14193995 - 03/27/11 07:28 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

For real, Maine ROCKS!! (the Governor sucks) but MAINE ROCKS! Wish we had better more  wild mushies- but its still fun to look!

InvisibleCidneyIndole
www.shroomery.OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Love's Secret Domain
    #14195299 - 03/27/11 11:09 PM (13 years, 4 days ago)

Yeah, the conclusion of their "study" (that it causes long term impairment) is also based on the assumption that the rats needed no time to "recover" or "re-regulate" after the dose wore off...

...which as ANY subjective user of opiates can tell you is a crock of shit. Of course you don't feel normal for a while after you detox.

Agenda-driven research like this really pisses me off.

--------------------
------------------------
I am me. We are You.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom