Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineYellowSubmarine
Soviet Pig

Loc: U.S.S.R.
crazy crazy peat moss
    #1418656 - 03/30/03 05:28 PM (21 years, 3 days ago)

Hello. Is it normal to have peat moss at a 7.5 pH level? I bought Scotts Brand Sphangnum Peat Moss and a pH test probe. It measures out alone at 7.5. I also have some crushed AG lime oyster shell (92% calcium carbonate) to raise the pH. Last time I cased I used a mixture of 15 cups moss, 15 cups vermiculate and 4 cups oyster shell. I thought all was well until half my crop caught the green before the 1st flush, the other half died after the 2nd flush. What's going on here?

thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikejwill
dreamer

Loc: Midwest,usa
Re: crazy crazy peat moss [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1418862 - 03/30/03 08:06 PM (21 years, 3 days ago)

that is strange, normally peat moss is acidic. adding the limestone or oystershells raises the ph making it more basic which is what mushys love.

damn that green monster. Sterility in Mind, body and grow op is the only weapon.

OfflineFluidElite
Who am I???
Re: crazy crazy peat moss [Re: mikejwill]
    #1419113 - 03/30/03 11:41 PM (21 years, 3 days ago)

too much lime. :smile:

--------------------

Fluid Elite

* Everything about is entirely theoritical. *
* Beware the effects of HPPD. *

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
Re: crazy crazy peat moss [Re: YellowSubmarine]
    #1419162 - 03/31/03 12:13 AM (21 years, 3 days ago)

My friend's experience with Scott's brand peat moss was very similar.  He kept making 50/50+ with it and adjusting the pH, and the results seemed to indicate that the pH was too high.  So he bought one of those garden pH probes, and the peat + water alone equals a 7-8 pH.  It seems that since this product is more aimed at the average person and not a landscaper, gardener, horticulteralist, etc (you get the idea), it has been pre-adjusted for a neutral pH.

I'm surprised that you got the green though.  As far as I know its supposed to thrive in acidic conditions and you probably had rather basic conditions.  Perhaps you need better sterility/cleanliness and/or air exchange/circulation.

As for the ones that died after the 2nd flush, that's probably to be expected.  They most likely just couldn't survive in overly basic conditions any longer.

In conclusion, your pH meter is probably correct so follow pH guidelines for the species when mixing up the casing and you should be alright.

Its convenient that it's pre-adjusted but its kinda bad because you do want to add some buffer since the casing becomes more acidic from metabolic processes.  Oyster shell is supposed to be good for time release though, so try adding just enough that it doesn't make the pH too high.

Good luck :smile: 

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

InvisibleClosetCase
but only inwinter

Loc: Somewhere rubbing my nugs...
Re: crazy crazy peat moss [Re: psyphon]
    #1419196 - 03/31/03 12:35 AM (21 years, 3 days ago)

Well god damn! All this time I've been sitting here with a bag of Scott's moss cause I was to lazy to go get a pH meter and some lime! ...and now the truth comes out, quite entertaining :smile:

--------------------
"as your attourney I advise you to rent a very fast car with no top, and you'll need the cocaine.."

"well.. why not? I mean if anything's worth doing, it's worth doing right. THIS IS THE AMERICAN DREAM IN ACTION"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix