Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
So, what if the Bush administration wins?
    #1419063 - 03/31/03 12:57 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, let me get this war plan straight. We invade and conquer Iraq, kill Saddam Hussein and those who support him through violence, and then assign leadership until Iraq can establish a democracy and ?be free?. Then what?
Does the Bush administration, Tony Blair, and the other COWs (coalition of the willing) really think that Iraq will elect a Democratic leader? If we appoint one, that leader will be regarded as a ?puppet? of the U.S.A., and is that really a democracy? So what is my point?
My point is that, in terms of having anti-American Iraqi leaders in control of Iraq, we could be going from the frying pan into the fire.
"Given sentiments in the Arab world today, democracy could lead to one-time elections and the triumph of radical Islam." This 'radical Islam' can be equated to the 'Muslim Brotherhood'.
"The Muslim Brotherhood is, to use a Saddam Hussein euphemism, the mother of all Islamic militant organizations. Founded in Egypt in the 1930s, it has helped give birth to every Muslim radical movement, from Osama bin Laden's al Qaeda to Palestinians' Hamas and Islamic Jihad to Lebanon's Hezbollah." And that 'brotherhood' is alive and gaining support as I type this.

Read this story that I found on the ReclaimDemocracy.org website under the ?Weekly Guest Feature - Democracy: Be careful what you wish for? link.
http://reclaimdemocracy.org/weekly_2003/iraq_democracy.html

The opinion survey the author quotes (Zogby, Int.) scares the hell out of me. 94% of those surveyed think we are doing this to control Arab oil and to subjugate Palestinians to Israel's will. Do we really think they wont 'elect' a radical Islamic regime once we make democratic elections possible for them? They hate Saddam, but he's a secular leader.
I think they would elect an Islamic leader/regime who would most likely be radical and anti-western. And we couldn't do a damn thing about it, except maybe start 'WW3 - The Holy War'.
In my opinion, we'll be doing Bin Laden and other radical Islamic terrorists a big favor when we kill or oust Hussein's regime. We'll eliminate an enemy of his and then all of our 'bullshit' will help feul anti-US and anti-Christian sentiment.

Everyone seems so damn confident that we will win this war, but if we lose our civil liberties, lose all our respect as world leaders, have the worst economy we've ever known and alienate ourselves from the people who can help us turn this around (the UN), how can we claim victory? We are setting a precedent for pre-emptive, preventive and illegal warfare. How can we condemn any nation that follows our lead? Not to mention the shame that will be felt by many of us after this is all done, knowing that we should have protested louder, more often, and more intelligently.

Yes, I remember 9/11. I remember that most of those who committed the actual crimes were from Saudi Arabia, not from Iraq, or even from Afghanistan. I certainly condemn those opportunistic acts of terrorism and I mourn the loss of life that occurred on that day. I mourn the loss of life that this war has caused as well. I support our soldiers, but not the idiots that sent them into Iraq.

If we had spent even half the money that we've spent on this war (so far) on effective home security measures (that do not even necessitate infringing on our rights) we would be much safer today. But I guess what really threatens us as a nation is our arrogance, short-sightedness, blind patriotism, apathy, hypocrisy and irresponsibility.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineEchoVortex
(hard) member
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: djamor]
    #1419087 - 03/31/03 01:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

If we had spent even half the money that we've spent on this war (so far) on effective home security measures (that do not even necessitate infringing on our rights) we would be much safer today.

What? Are you trying to be rational or something? Get off this forum, damn you! We don't need any plain old common sense around here! The only way America will be safe is if it invades and colonizes every country that our great Fuhrer, er, President, has identified as belonging to the Axis of Evil. After we finish off the Iraqis (which should have already happened last weekened, but, oh well) we can move on to the Syrians and then the Iranians. That'll happen around September to October of 2004. Meanwhile, more terrorist attacks in the summer of 2004 will send his approval ratings throught the roof . . . Becuase we always stand by our President! Especially when he fucks up. In fact, the more he fucks up, the more we stand by him! That's how we show them terrorists what a great country we are! Our motto is: "When a policy fails, just do it again, but more!" Because we can never be wrong--we just weren't trying hard enough!

As for Iraq? People will remember Iraq then about as well as they remember Afghanistan now.

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1419096 - 03/31/03 01:29 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

ouch..

Offlinedjamor
Stranger

Loc: rocky mountains
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1419141 - 03/31/03 01:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

no 'ouch' - sarcasm is my second language - I understand echovortex's post.

what pisses me off about this whole situation is the fact that I can't think of anything that we can do about it right now! Impeach Bush, so Cheney can be president? hell, I'm not sure the democrats wouldn't be pursuing this war had Gore been elected. The pope can criticize this war, but the opposition party can't/won't? wtf?

I have friends that are talking about getting the hell out of this country while they still can, but something inside me says stay and fight (non-violently, of course)! Stay and vote this moron out of office next year. But then, maybe this ship is sinking fast. If he gets re-elected, well, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: djamor]
    #1419175 - 03/31/03 02:22 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Our actions in the middle east have come back to bite us on more than one occasion. I wouldn't be surprised if this turns out no different.

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: EchoVortex]
    #1419963 - 03/31/03 03:55 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Echo, you mentioned something about afganhistan.....whats that?! :confused: :tongue:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleadrug

Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1419981 - 03/31/03 04:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

an interesting quote I found today...

Quote:

From the Sunday Mirror
WHO wrote these wise words?

"We should not march into Baghdad... To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our
coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us, and make a broken tyrant into a
latter-day Arab hero... assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched
dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerrilla war. It
could only plunge that part of the world into even greater instability."

The Iraq quote was taken from A World Transformed published in 1998 by Knopf.
The author? President George Bush, who wrote the book with his ex-National Security
Adivsor, Brent Scowcroft.

I wonder what daddy is thinking right about now? Its a sad state of affairs when the first Bush is turns out to be a better leader than his son.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: So, what if the Bush administration wins? [Re: adrug]
    #1420005 - 03/31/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

....rebelious youth...
Bush! you shoulda listened to daddy. :smirk:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion