Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Loc: The Seventh Circle of Hel...
Doesn't Look Good
    #1418894 - 03/30/03 10:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I have some friends who are growing for the first time, they used BRF/Perlite/Water Self Sealing Mason Jars (sterilized by boiling for 20 minutes). They cooled the jars for upwards of 20 minutes before running them under cold water for several minutes. Most of the jars were still slightly warm when they were inoculated. They inoculated about 3 jars a piece of SA and B+ strain pretty carefully (although they did not spray the air with disinfectant) before running into a problem when they mistook a friend pulling into the driveway to be their parents and ran all the equipment outside. The needles ended up being on the ground for about 5 minutes, although they did wash them and burn them off with a lighter. After bringing everything back inside they inoculated three more jars a piece of SA and B+. I am told that both the B+ and SA strains are being incubated at around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. They'd just like to know what some of the more experienced growers think their chances are as far as having enough jars colonize to yield a viable harvest of mushrooms. Thanks.

--------------------
"Turn on, tune in, drop out." --Dr. Timothy Leary

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSixCee
keep rolling
Male

Loc: US, Chicago
Re: Doesn't Look Good [Re: Lysergic_1968]
    #1418901 - 03/30/03 10:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Raise the temps to normal incubation temps. Also I highly doubt that you have sterilized your jars, should have boiled for much long; 3 times as long. You will have a high contam rate IMO. Also you may have cooked some of the spores, becasue the outer jar is cool doesn't mean the core is.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
-->The above statements may or not be true.
->Quote of the Moment :
"Yea. All bitches are whores who love sex." -Cubie
----> PMs checked daily.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1418905 - 03/30/03 10:54 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Well there is only one way to find out. Wait it out. You'll know pretty quick if contamination is an issue. I don't know why people spray the air. You don't want any air currents. You are creating a whole bunch of air currents spraying the air with whatever. Your temp should be higher for incubation, but that is probably an issue given your situation. So you only boiled for 20 mins? I don't think that's enough. Check the TEKS section or the FAQ again.

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
    #1419056 - 03/31/03 12:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

yeah i normally boil my jars for 45 minues to and hour. as for not spraying the air - i'm not sure how thAt will effect things. i also spray lots of lysol in the room and then wait 10-20 seconds before i start working. i respray every 3-4 jars. i've never not sprayed so i cant say if maybe i'm doing much more than i have to and the lysol doesn't matter, or it really is crucial - in which case you will likely have a good deal of contam.

--------------------
I am not stoned.

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
*DELETED* [Re: Lysergic_1968]
    #1419172 - 03/31/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by Script

Reason for deletion: .

Edited by PJDIDDLE (06/08/10 07:43 PM)

Offlinesi1988crx
Beep beep byebye

Re: Doesn't Look Good [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #1419197 - 03/31/03 02:35 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I dont think your friend sterilized long enough. Also, running the jars under cool water is a good way to have them break, and it also doesn't cool the center of the jars. If the jars were still slightly warm, the center of the jar would be a higher temp and your friends may have killed all the spores. If I was your friends, I would give them a week to 2 weeks to see if anything happened. If there is no growth (no mold or mycelium) then your friend could try to innoculate again. (I know my friends would just sterilize them again if nothing happened in 2 weeks) Otherwise if there is mold, throw them away, and if instead there is mycelium, then you got lucky.

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Re: Doesn't Look Good [Re: si1988crx]
    #1419472 - 03/31/03 09:26 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the advice guys. So far they tell me no mold (it's now 3 days after inoculation), which I assume is a good sign since molds usually form relatively quickly. The only thing they did notice different about the jars is that when they were checking for contamination they noticed that something was bouncing around in between the BRF/Perlite and the top of the jar (couldn't see it but could hear it), perhaps some mycelium has started growing (although I believe it's much to early for that). Or maybe it's just clumps of BRF/Perlite sliding around. Anyway, I think I got lucky as far as contamination goes, but I'm more concerned about the fact that I may have fried the spores by inoculating the jars when they were still too warm. I guess all they can do is wait. I'll keep you posted on how it goes. Thanks again.

--------------------

OfflineMushyMan
    #1419516 - 03/31/03 10:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Why are you using BRF and Perlite? I hope you mean BRF and Vermiculite :-)

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
Re: Doesn't Look Good [Re: MushyMan]
    #1419547 - 03/31/03 11:10 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Unfortunately NONE of the hardware stores in the area carried Vermiculite, but we were told that Perlite essentially possesses the same water holding capabilities as Vermiculite and is basic so may even help to raise the pH. I've also heard of people using Perlite with BRF before and getting satisfactory results. In the future we will make a point of using Vermiculite though. Thanks for the advice.

--------------------

OfflineLysergic_1968
Ego-killer
    #1421151 - 04/01/03 08:19 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

SA jars aborted due to limits on space and time. When they were dumped outside, what appeared to be mycelial growth was all over (3 days after inoculation). I remember hearing that SA was a very fast colonizer. They poured some potting soil over the top of it, for the remote chance that the mushrooms might grow later in the spring. B+ jars still going strong I am told, no mold yet. I think both friends may have gotten very lucky as far as contamination goes, and there did appear to be quite a bit of mycelial growth in the SA jars. So we'll keep our fingers crossed, and maybe the B+ ones will come out OK. Who knows, maybe they'll even be picking mushrooms from the backyard where the BRF cakes were dumped.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation