Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Is vermiculite really necessary?
    #1417969 - 03/30/03 06:58 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I don't trust it. If mushrooms are growing on it, it means they will suck water and nutrients contaminated with vermiculite. (law of diffusion)

Is it reall necessary? Can i use rice on its own or will it dry out to quickly? Or is there a way to add up water during growth?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: ]
    #1417971 - 03/30/03 07:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

> If mushrooms are growing on it, it means they will suck water and nutrients contaminated with vermiculite.

So does this mean if tomatoes are grown in soil they will suck up nutrients "contaminated" with soil?
Do you eat tomatoes? Do you eat soil the tomatoes are grown on?

OfflineFcuerkt
insane visionary

Loc: the center of a xenon ato...
Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: Anno]
    #1417976 - 03/30/03 07:15 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

vermiculite isnt a contaminant, it's inert. But if you cant get verm there are other recipes you can use. The point is you can't just leave it out, every part of a substrate formula serves a purpose.

Anonymous

Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: Fcuerkt]
    #1417990 - 03/30/03 08:05 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Anno, plants use NPK and microelements from soil mostly. Other stuff stays in soil.

Vermiculite moleculs are small enough to be absorbed by plants/mushrooms therefore when you eat shrooms you eat vermiculate as well.

Either way, i wouldn't expect a stupid woman to know anything about microbiology.

Fcuerkt, what other things can i use besides vermicultite / perlite?

Offlinezandorf
OTD residentvirginwizard-abstinenceain'teasy

#1417994 - 03/30/03 08:19 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

don't be disrespectin' Anno now, he's a guy, first off. and secondly he's helped more newbies in this forum than probably anyone else, third and finally he knows what he's talking about.

also there's no flaming in here. jerk.  :tongue: 

--------------------
We live in a world where lemonade is made with artificial flavours and furniture polish is made with all natural lemon.

Edited by zandorf (03/30/03 08:20 AM)

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1417998 - 03/30/03 08:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Either way, i wouldn't expect a stupid woman to know anything about microbiology.

plus this is not gonna go down well here. there are plenty of XX growers who do a fine job. good luck, you may need it.

--------------------
buh

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
    #1418000 - 03/30/03 08:32 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

No flame, just fact. How little you know is well demonstrated in your words  :wink:

If you ever get 1/100th as good as ANNO at mycology, you will be doing better than most.

6T

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1418004 - 03/30/03 08:36 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>Vermiculite moleculs are small enough to be absorbed by plants/mushrooms

That?s an interesting theory....Do you have any source for this claim?

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Trusted Cultivator
    #1418010 - 03/30/03 08:46 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

So, who pissed in your cereal this morning?

Someone who very likely has forgotten more about mycology than you will ever know offers to answer your question, and this is how you reply?

-Diploid

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

#1418032 - 03/30/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

I wouldnt expect someone who hasnt graduated college to know anything about microbiology either. Its obvious you have no clue to support your evidence and your just resorting to attacking the author, which is just a lame attempt at trying to make yourself look correct. Your some kid who thinks he knows it all at the age of 15 or 16, and if your any older you need to learn to grow up kid.

I've eaten vermiculite cakes that obviously have a very high concentration of vermiculite. Here I am, still standing, still perfectly fine. Dont you think that if vermiculite is toxic they would warn you about it on the package?

By the way anno is probably the highest ranking and most respected mod on this board, good job of trrying to make fun of anno because all it did was make you look that much more inexperienced and that much dumber. Another thing that made your ignorance evident is that you tried making it look like women are less then men, good job neadritha. I can make fun of you because I have proof of your stupidity.  :grin:

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

Edited by dr4g0n (03/30/03 09:18 AM)

Anonymous

Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: Diploid]
    #1418038 - 03/30/03 09:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ya when me and my friends eat shrooms we try to get the ones grown in shit cause as all you know if the shroom is grown in shit it must be made of shit. LOL We love to eat shit.
No matter what you grow a shroom on its still a shroom just cause you use vermiculite, WBS, the pf tek, or any other of the many ways of growing, the mushroom still is made out of the same stuff. If this was true about the verm allot of mushrooms would be really shinny. And others would taste like brown rice while others (my favorite) would taste like a cows ass. And vermiculite is mica, its a type of rock how the hell is a mushroom supposed to absorb a rock? I do not care how fine you powderize verm it still does not have the ability to be absorbed by a plant/mushroom. How is it possible? Please tell us Weedless how a mushroom is supposed to absorbe a type of rock, I am interested in this theory of yours.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: dr4g0n]
    #1418043 - 03/30/03 09:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

> good job of trrying to make fun of her

Him, please, him :wink: 

Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: Anno]
    #1418096 - 03/30/03 10:20 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

:shocked: i changed that to "anno" right after I posted it, i dunno how you read "her"  :confused: Bad timing i suppose

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

OfflineMike Elium
.the Mycelium

Loc: on the edge
    #1418107 - 03/30/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, I just can't let this one slide by. Too damn irritating.
Weedless, why don't you change your nickname from Weedless to Brainless? Apparently you are the stupid one.
First, Anno is a guy. He just happens to like the lady who is shown in his avatar.
Second, Anno is one of a very few highly respected people here who have an EXTREME amount of mycological knowledge and experience. His advice is always correct, based on experience, and well-founded in fact.
Third, Anno more than ANYONE is constantly kind enough to share his knowledge to the benefit of the entire community, and to the benefit of many of us individually.
Fourth, even if Anno were female, you should have respect for women, there are probably a lot of them plenty smarter than you. And I observe this as a guy who read your silly-ass post.
Fifth, if you continue to behave like an asshole, nobody will want to help you at all.
Sixth, do you want to be enlightened by the mushroom or be a bonehead? If the latter, why not just go get drunk. It's less work.

--------------------
your inside is out, and your outside is in.

Edited by Mike Elium (03/30/03 11:33 AM)

Anonymous

#1418152 - 03/30/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisiblegeorge castanzaM
Lord Of The Idiots!
Male User Gallery
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: Mike Elium]
    #1418163 - 03/30/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

>I don't trust it. If mushrooms are growing on it, it means they will suck water and nutrients contaminated with vermiculite. (law of diffusion)

Is it reall necessary? Can i use rice on its own or will it dry out to quickly? Or is there a way to add up water during growth?

this right here shows you don't know much

>Anno, plants use NPK and microelements from soil mostly. Other stuff stays in soil.

Vermiculite moleculs are small enough to be absorbed by plants/mushrooms therefore when you eat shrooms you eat vermiculate as well.

Fcuerkt, what other things can i use besides vermicultite / perlite?

and this shows you are plain stupid and really need our help
so apologize to anno and the rest of the board or you will get no help from kramer or anyone else worthwhile

--------------------
KRAMER CAKES

InvisiblePJDIDDLE
Female
    #1418259 - 03/30/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I swear my jaw dropped when he took that blow on Anno I already knew he was screwed from then on. But I wont say any thing else every body here has taken the words right out of my mouth

OfflineLightBright
conspiring
Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: PJDIDDLE]
    #1418272 - 03/30/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

It's even more amazing that you got a just answer to your question, but felt the need to flame back anyway. This place is comprised of the collective work of PEOPLE it's not as though this board is full of machines that just spit out answers.

--------------------
"This hooch, it burns my soul."

Edited by LightBright (03/30/03 12:30 PM)

OfflineHector
HECTOR THEINSPECTOR

Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: LightBright]
    #1418479 - 03/30/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

THIS IS LOL CITY, USA !!!

--------------------
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Anonymous

Re: Is vermiculite really necessary? [Re: LightBright]
    #1419425 - 03/31/03 06:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Light bright, what fucking answer are you talking about? I didnt get a single answer yet.

"No matter what you grow a shroom on its still a shroom just cause you use vermiculite, WBS, the pf tek, or any other of the many ways of growing, the mushroom still is made out of the same stuff. If this was true about the verm allot of mushrooms would be really shinny. And others would taste like brown rice while others (my favorite) would taste like a cows ass. And vermiculite is mica, its a type of rock how the hell is a mushroom supposed to absorb a rock? I do not care how fine you powderize verm it still does not have the ability to be absorbed by a plant/mushroom. How is it possible? Please tell us Weedless how a mushroom is supposed to absorbe a type of rock, I am interested in this theory of yours. "

Ok. Here is how it works. Vermiculite absorbs water. Water comes in contact with vermiculate and diffusion occurs over period of weeks. By that time water is contaminated with vermiculite molecules. There not that much, probably 100 ppm at most but never the less, its there, mushrooms absorb contaminated water and there you have it, shrooms with vermiculite.

Now, I don't want to argue with you, i don't want to debate who knows more microbiology, all i want is advice on what i can use instead.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds