Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Money Matters

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineskatealex2
////////////////
 User Gallery

College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything?
    #14179689 - 03/25/11 02:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Simple question, but maybe not entirely easy to answer.

Do you think you can get a real legit job without a college degree, something career related (if you don't specialize in anything)?

Aside for being an entertainer, musician, actor, etc........

For the record i am a musician and i am getting a degree but im curious what you all think/

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: skatealex2]
    #14181043 - 03/25/11 11:15 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Do you think you can get a real legit job without a college degree, something career related (if you don't specialize in anything)?

Yes I do.  Most people dont get a college degree.  I think without a college degree, you can start somewhere and then four years later be higher paid and more marketable than somebody who spent those four years in college.  But, the caveat is the person who went to college is likely to advance faster and has more opportunities in the long run.

I think many people who go to college dont make the most of it and thus it doesnt really help them that much.

(edit: Also, this ignores the non-career related benefits of college and a liberal arts education, which I think are among the biggest reasons to go)

Edited by DieCommie (03/25/11 11:29 AM)

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: DieCommie]
    #14181063 - 03/25/11 11:21 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

essential for a VAST MAJORITY of high-paying jobs.

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: skatealex2]
    #14181242 - 03/25/11 12:20 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Depends on your definition of "high paying".  Like I've said in these threads before, I routinely pay tradesmen $80-100/hr (carpenters, plumbers, electricians).  I think it would be quite easy for a tradesmen to make a 6-figure salary.  This is probably comparable to a "corporate" job of 50-70k depending on benefits.

A successful small business could earn much more.

However, IMO, to get a "high paying" job it takes a lot of hard work.  Thus, you could spend decades building up a small business to make lots of money, or spend decades "specializing" or "schooling" to get the same result.

You probably won't make a lot of money being lazy, regardless of the job, specialization or whatever.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinemagicarpet
Tripper

Loc: USA
Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: badchad]
    #14181928 - 03/25/11 02:38 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

or we could all just live off of the land which i plan on doing....funny how im typing it on a computer ey?  but the way I saw it there was no happiness waiting for me with my college degree.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: magicarpet]
    #14182017 - 03/25/11 02:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

magicarpet said:
or we could all just live off of the land which i plan on doing....funny how im typing it on a computer ey?  but the way I saw it there was no happiness waiting for me with my college degree.

good luck with that.

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14182027 - 03/25/11 02:59 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

The human race does essentially live off of the land.

Offlinemagicarpet
Tripper

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: DieCommie]
    #14182472 - 03/25/11 04:26 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

we live in boxes and try to make every other living thing do the same and thanks for the wishes im sure it'll be fine tho...

Offlinemagicarpet
Tripper

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: magicarpet]
    #14182485 - 03/25/11 04:28 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

but yes i guess we do just not my ideal situation and my ideal situation would be a very simple situation.... as little obligations as possible after all we are animals

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

#14183039 - 03/25/11 08:18 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah there's plenty of work out their that pays with no degree. What a degree does do even at those jobs is set you out a bit from the pack.

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: JohnnyConverse]
    #14183108 - 03/25/11 08:29 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

JohnnyConverse said:
Yeah there's plenty of work out their that pays with no degree. What a degree does do even at those jobs is set you out a bit from the pack.

there are also plenty of jobs out there that require a degree.

the fact of the matter is you can attain financial success through a myriad of paths, methods, experiences, etc. but the safest way to do so, though, is to get a college degree. this ultimately readies you for specialization, which greatly increases your chances of a higher paying job.

regardless, it takes wit, courage, determination, some pain and a bit of luck to become successful. you have to stick out from the crowd, be special. everyone else is just chasing a falsified dream, buying lotto tickets on the weekends to make them feel better about themselves.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: meatcakeman]
    #14184211 - 03/25/11 11:33 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah the other thing is even starting your own business or something an assoc. In biz at least is a good investment since its maybe 10 k from a community college ...ill tell you one thing decent jobs without a degree tend to be WORK so if it's that college seems hard...go to college anyway

OfflineGroovy Grant
 User Gallery
Loc: TX Flag
Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: JohnnyConverse]
    #14185957 - 03/26/11 11:22 AM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I was just reading something recently about the what the average electrician makes in a life time versus what the average doctor (general practitioner) makes in a life time.

Accounting for the ten years the doctor is in school, and student loan costs. The electrician actually makes more in a lifetime then the doctor.

I can't find the link now, but thought it was an interesting comparison. I agree, you don't need a college degree to be successful. I'm not even sure college degrees correlate as much with earnings as they had in the past. They used to be great for getting opportunities and mobility, but I think even that has begun to shrink in the US.

Trade jobs are hard to export. Highly skilled manufacturing jobs are hard to export. Both of which don't need a 4-year degree, but do require education and even apprenticeships. So, barriers to entry still exist, keeping wages stable for some time. Whereas, accountants and even lawyers are extremely easy to export, because they're data driven. Data doesn't care if it's analyzed by an Indian, a Chinese or an American...

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: Groovy Grant]
    #14186067 - 03/26/11 12:05 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

There are good and bad reasons not to go to school

a good reason to not go to school is you're ready to leap into something that doesn't take a degree (realty, writing, etc)

a bad reason is "school is hard" (life is harder) or "i can't afford it" (go to a state or community school)

--------------------
I wasn't an activist until I got put in jail. I sat there in jail seeing what was really going on in America and something changed. Now when people say, "Tommy what was jail like?" I say "You'll see" -- Tommy Chong

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

#14186455 - 03/26/11 01:51 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

just take a class or two a semester, and by the time you realize life sucks ass without a legit career and benefits, you'll have you degree.

--------------------

Offlinemagicarpet
Tripper

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #14192523 - 03/27/11 04:06 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

lets hold ourselves to obligations all day, everyday??....... then we die!

sounds like a plan to me

OfflineXUL
OTD Janitor
Male User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #14192953 - 03/27/11 05:39 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

I think a degree is a very good thing as long as you can find something to study that you love and manage to earn the degree without incurring massive amounts of debt like I did. lol. Try not to party too hard!!!:laugh:

A degree makes you more desirable than the average person. If an employer looks at...

Applicant A: High school diploma

Applicant B: College Diploma

The employer will most likely choose the college graduate.

Like I said though. Incurring mass amounts of debt is counter productive. My one friend from high school didnt go to college. At the time I felt bad for him because he was working at Arby's. Now he owns his own Arby's and makes 50-55 thousand a year. He is better off than me.

I studied something I hated and I have alot of debt from it. Now that I have my degree I am relying on the military to pay my debt off. I also realized I want to go back to school to study something I actually like!!!

Good luck!!:wink:

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14193580 - 03/27/11 07:54 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Afoaf lied about having a college degree on his resume and got a decent paying job.

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: College Degree- Essential for high paying jobs if you're not specialized in anything? [Re: XUL]
    #14194556 - 03/27/11 10:56 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

XUL said:
A degree makes you more desirable than the average person. If an employer looks at...

Applicant A: High school diploma

Applicant B: College Diploma

The employer will most likely choose the college graduate.

I dont think that is a fair assessment.  As a younger worker, this is what is more likley;

Applicant A: High School Diploma + 4 years of experience

Applicant B: College Diploma + 0 years of experience

In this case, the employer would be smart not to discount applicant A.  This is the struggle that many college grads face. 

Of course, things change when you become an older worker;

Applicant A: High School Diploma + 22 years of experience

Applicant B: College Diploma + 18 years of experience

Now, applicant B appears much more attractive.

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #14194909 - 03/27/11 11:50 PM (10 years, 1 month ago)

Yah, my little bro is 2 years younger than me and has 0 years of work experience but a degree and I have 9 years no degree.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

PhytoExtractum Shop: Buy Bali Kratom Powder

General Interest >> Money Matters