Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRoger_Barrett
But you can callme Syd!

Loc: Kitsap County WA
The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard!
    #1411760 - 03/26/03 01:51 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

As if the world couldn't get any more screwed....

Went out to lunch today in Ballard (Seattle) and a road I take which goes by a certain overpas was closed.. unusual. This particular place is a textbook habitat for Cyans when in season. There's a hill that are literally covered with Cyans (and gallerinas :frown:( Too) when the conditions are right.

Paradise

Well today I come back and I see why the road is closed. Maintenance people had a big truck with a blower and were spraying new ground cover as part of spring maintenance. But instead of a fresh coat of yellow alder chips they're spraying out fresh red cedar!!! Saw the same thing in a park being reconstructed in West Seattle!!

Habitat destruction in progress!

Where's my congressman when I need her?

Some how Bush is to blame for this too.. no doubt a part of his Orwellian plan to subjigate our collective minds.

The horror........... The horror............

--------------------
The sacred mushroom takes me by the hand and brings me to the world where everything is known. It is they, the sacred mushrooms, that speak in a way that I can understand.

Mazatec Shaman Maria Sabina

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: Roger_Barrett]
    #1412312 - 03/26/03 05:33 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

haha.. err sorry that is really too bad. I am sorry :frown:

F*ck Bush!! lol :smile:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: angryshroom]
    #1412350 - 03/26/03 05:51 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

Hey now, keep your hippie stuff in the polictical forum, angry :wink: 

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: Gumby]
    #1412620 - 03/26/03 07:36 PM (21 years, 26 days ago)

Actually they use whatever mulch is available and/or they change eery couple of years to a nother mulch.

I have had many places with the red cedar which ruined patches.

It is not like they ae out to ruin you but the clearcuts are becoming far and inbetween. That is the alder is disappearing and that is why there are less and less abundant patches.

That is why the blue ringers have been slowly disappearing. The pasturelands are slowly making way to one-story-non-polutting buildings. This is common inthe osouthcenter region where shrooms used to fruit yearly for over twenty years and as the pastures keep coming down the fertizers keep changing and the spores keep moving on down the line.

mj

Invisiblelongshot
title of what?

Loc: Farther North than you
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1414203 - 03/27/03 10:29 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

The same thing has happened at my favorite spot in Ravenna. Horrible.

Edited by GumbyDude: Not on these boards. No giving out or asking for specifc locations. Try reading the first thread in the forum. Reading the rules is always a good place to start out.

Edited by GumbyDude (03/27/03 11:01 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: longshot]
    #1414305 - 03/27/03 11:18 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

YEah I knew abotut he Ravenna patches and the new mulch.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: longshot]
    #1414306 - 03/27/03 11:18 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

YEah I knew abotut he Ravenna patches and the new mulch.

mj

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #1414325 - 03/27/03 11:26 AM (21 years, 25 days ago)

Hrmmmm, I hope that's not the ravenna patch I know of.... :frown:

Although then I'd know who kept picking all those mushies I was waiting on, heeeheee  :tongue:

I haven't been by there in a few months.

She was a beauty though....heh.  I'll have to go take a look next week....

DH

Edited by DethHed (03/27/03 11:29 AM)

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Loc: The PNW
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: spores]
    #1414503 - 03/27/03 12:56 PM (21 years, 25 days ago)

LOL, Ravenna seemed to be quite the popular place. I picked quite a bit there myself this fall. Haven't been there in a while though, that sucks if it's covered in cedar chips, I had 7 patches in that park. Oh well, it isn't really hunting when you know exactly where to return.
-@cro

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: @cro]
    #1414558 - 03/27/03 01:21 PM (21 years, 25 days ago)

I have been at the Ravenna patches for 6 years on and off but i do not go there every day, maybe twice a month. ANd I always find somethere. As well as many other places around the city.

mj

Offlinecardboard
digitalautomatedansweringmachine

Loc: pac northwest
    #1416718 - 03/29/03 10:19 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Fresh alder chips have a redish tent to them. They are most likely chipping and spreading whatever is close at hand and that around here mostly is alder, doug and grand fir and wester red ceder. If the 4 of those are chipped all together and throw down the cyanescen will eat it up just fine so to speak. The real enemy is the commercial beauty bark product which is made of mostly ceder bark, i highly doubt that a road maintence crew would be throwing that down.

I just laid 20 yards of mixed chips in my yard as a testiment to what i just said, i would say it was probably 30% ceder, i will have pictures of the fruitings about 6 months. As a final word on the subject if you read in the audobon field guide it says that ps cyanescen grow from coniferious wood debris.

--------------------
stay off my land

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: cardboard]
    #1416791 - 03/29/03 11:36 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Shrooms will not grow inthe red cedar bark muck or shreadded mulch. The alder is a lightish brown, tan color and can be sawdust (straw-yellow to yellow tan or strips of twigs and stems.

Steerco is a fine woodchip that loks like it was dic e.

you can buy alder or steer-co at sawdust supply on Spokane steet under the freeways. They uuse to be on Harbor island and moved downt he street. They are under the West Seattle Bridge around 1st avenyue or so maybe 2nd and third.

Callthem up/. It is cheap.

mj

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

Re: The horror!! Red cedar in Ballard! [Re: cardboard]
    #1417090 - 03/29/03 04:50 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Yeah, I'm with CB on this one. The mulch is looking fine, it is just fresh.  To add to his description the cedar will have a very aromatic smell and a little cedar won't hurt too much.  The same stuff they're laying down now is the same stuff they laid down last year.  The rains will wash away many of the toxins.
But while I was running through the park yesterday it did remind me of the horrors I saw this season.  Some people after finding a new patch, to them, would strip it clean of all fruits and pins and even worse clear it of all the leaves and debris.  Which is fine if you want to cover it back up again so another flush can start but clearing all the leaves off will... 1. Help in the diminishment of further flushes and 2. Draw much unneeded attention to the patch.  There were a few patches I saw this season that would be stripped of all the leaves in the middle of a flower bed that was covered in leaves.  And then a few days later the grounds people caught on and had covered the patch with a thick layer of fresh chips blocking many further fruits.
Well that's my rant.  :grin:
Laters - @cro 

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1417094 - 03/29/03 04:52 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Not all p[atches are under leaves.. When leaves overtake a pathch thent he slugs feed on the shrooms lea ving gaping holes inthe caps of many.

Sorry that thepicture images upload adn even editing are not working here lately. I owuld show you large patche sof P. cyanescens without any leaves anywhere.

mj

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

#1417102 - 03/29/03 04:58 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

I know they aren't always under leaves but towards the middle to end of the season they just tend to be from the leaves falling off surrounding trees. And when they are, it is quite obvious where a patch is when they are left uncovered like that. Not only to other hunters, unfortunately the parks people also no whats up and do their best to block these from fruiting.

--------------------

Offlinecardboard

#1417492 - 03/29/03 10:01 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

when MJ is wrong he starts to spell wrong....heheh

--------------------
stay off my land

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1417504 - 03/29/03 10:13 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Maybe you do not understand e the symbuiotic relationshoip between vascular plant life and the mychorrizeal relationship of P. cyanescens and P. stuntzii to the plants intheir environement.

Certain fungi provide support toit he plants they associate with and vice/versa.

That is they need each other. When shrooms appear in a garden bed, the surround plnat life is very healthy and rich. They compliment each other.

Park employees do not spray fungicies to rid someone of mushrooms just because people pick them. A sure way to get rid of them is to stop using fertilizers as what happens to blue ringer lawns that the landscappers or owners stop paying for that servie as it gets rather expensive.

Reminds me of the kids who think farmers spray chemicasl of ntheir pasturelands to keep pickers from going in.

They do not since chemicals can affect the cattle, health wise and milking wise. They do spray chemicals into their pastures that help the cattle grow bigger and produce more meat or miklk.

anyway,

The first four years of the downtown Freeway Park was a the largest landmass of psilocybine musrhooms inthe late 1970s, with five varieties constant ion every lawns and in e ery bedbox for four years.

Until the ivy over grew e erything and ate all of the nutrients inthe woodchips (steer-co) from Sawdust Supply on Harbour Island. That plus the fact that after four yeears the park had a hard time funding their fer5tilizers and new flowers in the park. I lived in the Cambridge Hotel back them. I watched them build the park from my windows there and I was the first to pick it clean. And while I only picked on side of the park I had no idea for the first two years that the shrooms were in every friggin bedbox in the park.

In fact at one time about 75% of all Seattle Parks had massive shrooms, as did most of the high schools and downtown office buildings and the colleges, restaurants and any new building and all of Soutrhcenter Shopping mall for almost 17 years there until the removal of pasturelands soouth of Tukwilla which gave way to one story non poluting office and warehouse buildings in the southcenter indutrieklle park complex.

They grew around the King COunty Jail house in downtown Seattle as late as 1985-6 and the county court ouse. The Lybwood Fire station/police station, Library and Swim pool, and at four community colleges. From Capitol Hill to Northgate mall to SOuth seattle Central and thorughout Lincoln Park.

You can read about many of those locations in themany newsclippings at my web-site. The park only puts fertilizers in therir gardens to inhibit growth and the plants need shrooms to stay healthy.

Sorry di d not mean to rant and I cannot see the letters oon my screen. Pisses me off because I cannot edit right now due to the shroomery is having mechanical terrorism going on.

mj

Offlinecardboard

#1417536 - 03/29/03 10:31 PM (21 years, 23 days ago)

yea MJ i agree but i dont see what that has to do with woodchips. Alder is not a yellow color when freshly chipped and crews chipping never lay down exclusive bark because thats not what trees are made of except for the outter layer. I am very aware of mycorhizal relationships and very aware that having fungii whatever that may be in the soil and woodchips above the soil increases plant vigor.

--------------------
stay off my land

Invisible@cro
new name
 User Gallery

#1417896 - 03/30/03 04:03 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Yeah, sorry if I hit a button, I definately didn't mean to.  Maybe I was unclear about my post though.  I never mentioned anything about fungicides, not really sure where that came from, maybe when I mentioned the parks people?  I only meant that if they see these obvious flags for mushroom patches that they will cover them with new chips, which seems to stop the new activity and further flushes.  And was hopefully informing some people to this, to help us all.

I am also aware of mycorrhizal relationships and I think you are right that they wouldn't spray fungicides for this reason but I am not so sure I have heard that cyanescens are neccesarily a mycorrhizal fungi.  I think it is safe to assume that most plants do form symbiotic relations to fungi but not neccesarily vice versa.  But I am always ready to learn something new, do tell. 

Roger: Quite sorry to bring this thread so off topic.  I do hope you got the info you were looking for though and for your sake (and our fungal friend) that it is the case that it isn't cedar being laid.
Hope you are though  :grin:
Laters - @cro

:grin: 

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1417963 - 03/30/03 06:39 AM (21 years, 23 days ago)

Cardboard, I have photos of the original steer-co woodchips fromthe Freeway park, they were an off colored strawyeloow to a tan light-tan brown color.
And there are many ddifferent kinds. Theyonly muclh the trees to ghelp witht he growth . And they use what muclh is available. For instance, when the UW use to use landscapers mulch ther ewere shrooms all over the campus. Now they cut there own terees down and use that muclh for the garden and mulched areas.

But I still have a few patches there which for the last two years no one has found.

mj

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract