Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Loc: Radio Free Tibet!
Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday...
    #1415219 - 03/27/03 05:59 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

I thought I would have found something about this here, in the "Politcal Forum," but everyone seems to be focused on the war, so I'll make a brief post about it...

Patrick Moynihan oscillated back and forth between academics and politics, and between the Democrats and the Republicans. He served in the Senate for many years, and in the administrations of both Democrats like J. F. Kennedy and Republicans like Richard Nixon. He served no particular party, but instead was that rare thing in politics today, a man who served his own personal convictions. In his later years, as Senator, he was a Democrat who both supported the Clintons, but was also willing to tell them where to get off on occasion.

I may not have always agreed with his stances on certain issues, but I always respected him. He was a good man, and someone of rare character and intellect in contemporary Beltway politics! In fact, I do not think it would be too hyperbolic to make comparisons with some of our other more intellectual founding fathers, such as Benjamin Franklin. Pat Moynihan was a good man, and I'll miss his unique voice in Washington politics. :cool:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineboO
Female User Gallery

Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Papaver]
    #1415652 - 03/27/03 09:18 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

when i went to washington dc on a school trip our group met patrick moynihan and had lunch with him. he was a nice man, looked a bit frail. my AP US History teacher absolutely adored him and would preech about all the good he had done. sad to hear of his death :frown:

thanks for posting about it

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1415677 - 03/27/03 09:30 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Is he that man with long black hair, wrinkly skin, or jus looks like a burnout??? I think I know who you're talkin bout but if it isn't what I described then n/m.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: boO]
    #1415707 - 03/27/03 09:50 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

> thanks for posting about it

Thanks for replying boO! That's a cool story! :laugh:

I was starting to think the only way this thread was going to get replied to, was to tie him into the war somehow -- like say he was a human shield, or gassed the Kurds, or something -- I'm glad it didn't have to come to that... :smirk:

> Is he that man with long black hair, wrinkly skin, or jus looks like a burnout???

No, Cracka_X. That?s Alice Cooper you?re thinking of... :wink:

Here?s a photo of Senator Moynihan with George McGovern. (Moynihan is on the right)

And here?s the obit from the AP:

Quote:

Former New York Sen. Moynihan Dies at 76
Thu Mar 27,12:34 PM ET By JIM ABRAMS, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - Daniel Patrick Moynihan, a former Democratic senator, ambassador and presidential adviser known for his scholarly intellect, has died. He was 76.

"In many respects, Pat Moynihan was larger than life," said Senate Democratic leader Tom Daschle, leading tributes on the Senate floor to the man who from 1977 to 2001 was one of the body's most beloved and respected members.

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton , who two years ago succeeded Moynihan in the New York Senate seat, announced his death on the Senate floor. "We have lost a great American, an extraordinary senator, an intellectual and a man of passion and understanding for what really makes the country work," she said.

Moynihan died Wednesday at the Washington Hospital Center from complications stemming from a ruptured appendix. In declining health recently, he had undergone surgery to have his appendix removed on March 11.

During his 24 years in the Senate, lawmakers from both parties turned to the gangly, professorial Moynihan for his expertise on welfare issues, transportation, Social Security and foreign policy.

"Rising from the depths of Hell's Kitchen in New York," said Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tenn., "he became one of America's true leading intellectuals, whose foresight and whose ability brought to public attention a mass of critical issues long before others even realized these issues existed."

"I just hope God gives us a few more Pat Moynihans in this Senate, and in this country," fellow New York Democrat, Sen. Charles Schumer, said.

In 2000, Moynihan received the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation's highest civilian honor.

Born March 16, 1927, in Tulsa, Okla., he became a shoe shine boy in New York City to help make ends meet after his father deserted the family when Moynihan was 10. He graduated from Benjamin Franklin High School in East Harlem and attended the City College of New York for one year before enlisting in the Navy, serving on active duty from 1944 to 1947.

He later graduated from Tufts University, studied at the London School of Economics as a Fulbright Scholar and taught government at Syracuse University and Harvard University. He was the author or editor of 19 books.

He was named an assistant labor secretary in the Kennedy administration and went on to become the first person ever to serve in a Cabinet or sub-Cabinet position in four consecutive administrations, from Kennedy through Ford.

As President Nixon's urban affairs adviser, he proposed a policy of "benign neglect" toward minorities that drew heavy criticism. A 1965 report to President Johnson created a major policy flap when he warned that the rising rate of out-of-wedlock births threatened the stability of black families.

Moynihan saw himself at the time as a liberal observer warning of future problems. Rather than hearing praise, he was denounced as promoting racism. The controversy haunted Moynihan for years and resurfaced as late as the 1994 elections.

Rep. Charles Rangel D-N.Y., a leader of the congressional black caucus , said Wednesday that Moynihan "stood up for the poor, the underserved and the children when they had few other advocates."

There used to be two framed magazine front pages in Moynihan's Senate office. One was The Nation from 1979, titled "Moynihan: The conscience of a neo-conservative." The other was a 1981 issue of The New Republic, "Pat Moynihan, neo-liberal."

Moynihan, said President Bush , was "an intellectual pioneer and a trusted adviser to presidents of both parties." Under Bush, he served as co-chairman of the Commission to Strengthen Social Security.

Moynihan was ambassador to India from 1973 to 1975, and his wife of 47 years, Elizabeth Brennan Moynihan, is an architectural historian specializing in classic Indian architecture. He was U.S. ambassador to the United Nations in 1975 and 1976.

He won the New York Senate seat in 1976, defeating incumbent Republican James Buckley by portraying him as out of touch with New York City's fiscal crisis. But his interests went far beyond state politics, and his fascination with global affairs never waned. At one point he foretold the collapse of the Soviet Union.

"The Soviet Union is a seriously troubled, even sick society," he said in a January 1980 speech on the Senate floor. "The defining event of the decade might well be the breakup of the Soviet empire."

During his years in the Senate, Moynihan became a champion of many of the liberal Democratic programs he had once questioned, defending public jobs programs and fighting to increase federal aid to help offset New York's crushing welfare burden.

In 1988 Moynihan helped bring together conservatives and liberals to enact the Family Support Act, a major revision of the nation's welfare laws.

After retiring from politics, Moynihan became a senior scholar at the Woodrow Wilson Center.

Moynihan, survived by his wife and three children, is to be buried with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery on Monday.

--------------------

OfflineEllis Dee
Archangel
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fire in the sky
    #1415730 - 03/27/03 10:09 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

At least he can still vote.  :smirk:

--------------------
"If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do."-King Solomon

And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Ellis Dee]
    #1415737 - 03/27/03 10:14 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

At least he can still vote.  :smirk: 

And judging by the amount of dead people who vote Democratic each election, he will be voting.

Early and often.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1415760 - 03/27/03 11:02 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

The Family Support Act gassed the Kurds.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1415763 - 03/27/03 11:07 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

i thought Moynihan did?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1415764 - 03/27/03 11:10 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

YEAH!

Through his puppet the "Family Support Act"!

DUHHH!!!

WAKE UP ! ! !

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1415766 - 03/27/03 11:12 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

In all seriousness, I wish I knew more about Mr. Moynihan. He seems like a peculiarity in today's White house.

We need more of those.

--------------------

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

#1416371 - 03/29/03 12:08 AM (21 years, 5 days ago)

There are very few politicians that I respect, and he was one of those few. He was one of the good ones. Sadly, those are few and far between inside the Beltway...

--------------------

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #1416638 - 03/29/03 08:25 AM (21 years, 4 days ago)

Well, sorry to fall a bit out of tune, but Moynihan was just a bastard. He was ambassador to the UN in 1975-76, as mentioned in the obituary on this thread. This is also the time when Indonesia invaded East Timor with American permission, support and weapons. A blatant case of illegal invasion that was taken to the UN, where Indonesia should logically have been treated like Iraq was when it invaded Kuwait.
But instead, writes Moynihan in his memoirs, "The Department of State desired that the UN prove utterly ineffective in whatever measures it undertook. The task was given to me, and I carried it forward with no inconsiderable success."

I'm no fan of a guy who boasts of having helped the Indonesians take out about a third of East Timor's population by repression, starvation and outright war.

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Aldous]
    #1416949 - 03/29/03 02:29 PM (21 years, 4 days ago)

Gee, thank you, Mr. Chomsky. Please come again... :grin:

--------------------

InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
    #1417059 - 03/29/03 04:27 PM (21 years, 4 days ago)

AHhhhh ok nm this aint the guy I was thinkin. hahaha alice cooper, well the one I was thinkin of was the speech writer for JFK and Carter.

Patrick

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

InvisiblePapaverS
Madmin Emeritus?

Re: Patrick Moynihan Died Yesterday... [Re: Cracka_X]
    #1417073 - 03/29/03 04:38 PM (21 years, 4 days ago)

Sorenson?

Ich bin ein Shroomer! :laugh:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale