Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: just a rose]
    #14147070 - 03/19/11 03:22 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

just a rose said:
I envy your freedom.

I would, too (if I were you). :smirk:

Quote:

just a rose said:
Sometimes having too many ties can be incredibly suffocating... Knowing that you have so many people that you are in one way or another responsible for. After a while, you stop living for yourself and start living to meet their expectations.

Pretty much the only people who matter to me these days are my immediate family members; anyone else who wants me to do something for them can kiss my ass. :ass:

Quote:

just a rose said:
I feel lost too, but in a different way. I wish I could leave everything behind to discover what it is that I really want/need.

How old are you?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejust a rose
Stranger
Female
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: Poid]
    #14147082 - 03/19/11 03:32 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

I'm 23, recently graduated college and I feel like my life is already planned and to deviate from the path I am on will crush my parents. They gave up so much for me to succeed and to have what they didn't have and now I feel obligated to live the life they expect of me. They want me to pursue a professional career, marry, have 2.5 children, the white picket fence, and all the trappings of surburban life.

They are very strict asian parents LOL

--------------------
"Afterwards, the compromise. Bodies resume their boundaries. These legs, for instance, mine. Your arms take you back in. Spoons of our fingers, lips admit their ownership. The bedding yawns, a door blows aimlessly ajar and overhead, a plane singsongs coming down. Nothing is changed, except there was a moment when the wolf, the mongering wolf who stands outside the self lay lightly down, and slept." -Maxine Kumin

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: just a rose]
    #14147113 - 03/19/11 03:52 AM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

just a rose said:
I'm 23, recently graduated college and I feel like my life is already planned and to deviate from the path I am on will crush my parents.

Congrats on that, man! :awesome:

I'm in community college right now but am going to drop out after this quarter; I've realized that schools isn't for me, I don't feel like devoting my life to it because the purpose of going to school is to make money, and at this point in my life money is all but important to me; definitely not worth devoting my life to.

Quote:

just a rose said:
They gave up so much for me to succeed and to have what they didn't have and now I feel obligated to live the life they expect of me.

I just got off the phone with my mother, and she was talking about how she gave everything to me so that I may "make something of my life"; she was also talking about how she came from a basically dirt-poor family and had no support whatsoever, and that me, who had everything as a child, should definitely seize the opportunity to attain true success. I just told her that the ordinary 9-5 lifestyle is not compatible with my desires, so I'm not interested in pursuing it.

Quote:

just a rose said:
They want me to pursue a professional career, marry, have 2.5 children, the white picket fence, and all the trappings of surburban life.

My mom was talking about wishing she had grandchildren; I told her that I'm not interested in having kids because I don't feel like I would be a fit parent (for many reasons), and that I don't want to bring a life into this world unless I am fully able to make sure s/he has the best life possible.

Quote:

just a rose said:
They are very strict asian parents LOL

Yeah, Asians are totally about society and conformism, that's what I don't really like about their culture. I dunno, man, you just have to let them know that you love them, and that you need to do what is best for you.

Shit will work out, man, it usually does IME. :japsmile:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offline1tokeovrtheline
life=painfully beautiful
 User Gallery

Loc: innerverse&universe, surrealis...
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: Poid]
    #14148351 - 03/19/11 01:15 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

One day after a strong trip I remember just waking up and sitting there in bed like "wtf do I do now, where do I go from here" I just couldn't figure out what I wanted to do, so I just skipped school and thought about it/researched it all day and came up with a plan-

Now I'm working on my cultural anthropology degree, after college I plan to go into the peace corps for a while, then graduate school and most likely I will either

A)get lucky and get to travel around researching other cultures, most likely to help develop social services and guide political actions like tribal relations type things

B) start at a lower level museum position, handling artifacts, setting up displays explaining cultures, etc (which just makes me fuckin drool)

C)becoming a professor getting to teach others about cultures and our misconceptions and ethnocentrism, probably continuing research or working on books, getting grants to go off and study a culture or something, which I would love personally

-I mean seriously within the past year three professors admitted to me that they grew weed or shrooms, and one even hinted he made acid (without me asking or anything-like my history teacher just told me marijuana legalization would be a good paper topic without me even asking), yet nobody gives a fuck because they are professors and respected members of the community. professors don't work that fuckin hard for the amount of purpose, job security/job market, salary, etc and they are given more freedom than pretty much anyone without huge amounts of money (and often are still given more freedom than even the richest celebrity)

At worst I'll end up never making it to graduate school and getting an applied anthropology job, which all pay pretty well and have a good, stable job market

:awebig:

basically I just consider it a way to fulfill all those pressures people put on you, and still give society the finger-and be respected for it. its an escape within the societal expectations that allows you to actually be in a position to help change things and not get ostracized for it.

Its having your cake and eating it too :smile:

--------------------

Music, business as usual
Mi' spliff and Guiness as usual
Highgrade we puffin as usual
Fight down the system as usual
The system fight we down as usual
The cops dem a watch we as usual
And a we a watch the cops as usual

Offline1tokeovrtheline
life=painfully beautiful
 User Gallery

Loc: innerverse&universe, surrealis...
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: 1tokeovrtheline]
    #14148373 - 03/19/11 01:21 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

oh not to mention that an area of cultural anthropology is

TRANSPERSONAL [cultural] ANTHROPOLOGY

which is the study of altered states of consciousness in culture-its a rare field and chances are I'd never get into it, but if I was lucky enough, I could be dropping acid legally and travelling around the world to do ayahuasca and stuff, then go home and tell my family and friends and anyone I damn well please about it and they'll just be proud and respectful of my important work :raver2:

not that its likely at all, but really I just see no negatives with this career path

--------------------

Music, business as usual
Mi' spliff and Guiness as usual
Highgrade we puffin as usual
Fight down the system as usual
The system fight we down as usual
The cops dem a watch we as usual
And a we a watch the cops as usual

Invisiblethoughts
imagining.
Male User Gallery

Loc: here.
Re: Who else here belongs nowhere? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #14148409 - 03/19/11 01:29 PM (13 years, 13 days ago)

Quote:

I_was_the_walrus said:
Lately Ive been having difficulty with this. A few months ago I quit my job, sold all of my things and hit the road. Ive been traveling. Visiting friends, family, camping, random acquaintances, adventures...doing whatever.

Ive realized Im pretty much homeless. Ive got plenty of money and places to go, but nowhere to call home. Nobody waiting for me. Nobody to check in with...

I left home months ago on this adventure to meet new people and see new places, but it seems as soon as I get there, Im leaving. I meet nobody extraordinary, and the places are forgotten as soon as I arrive somewhere else. Then its like...where now? Where am I going? Where are these people and places Ive been looking for? What do I fall back on?

Im out here...and I belong nowhere.

Get yourself a cool ass dog.:yesnod:
And don't worry so much about the future,
let life/nature do it's thang.

--------------------
I need Jesus.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds