Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
Gotta move on to dung
    #1413488 - 03/27/03 07:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Alright i read the tek on straw and dung, it says you can buy one of those like oven bags to pastuerize it in, about how long does it take to drain?

cos i can't really have a bag of shit hanging around... HA!

hanging around.... get it  :wink: 

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Gotta move on to dung [Re: shroomizzy]
    #1413582 - 03/27/03 08:29 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thats the beauty of the oven bag... You add just as much water as you need. When you take a handfull and you squeeeze as hard as possible, and a tiny trickle of water drips down your hand should be perfect.

So, when your done with the baking, you take it out, cool for about 12 hours or however long it takes for your bag to cool, and then innoculate it with some grain!! :laugh:

When you pasturise in a pillowcase in a big pot of water, all that water gets absorbed, and a lot of the nutrients from the manure will be taken away.

BTW--where did you find this tek? Was it written up by 6T?

Offlineshroomizzy
Souless
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Center of the Room
Re: Gotta move on to dung [Re: angryshroom]
    #1413623 - 03/27/03 08:48 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

hell yeah! thanks man!

instead of grain, will it be alright to spawn with brf cakes?

--------------------
:::::Sincerely Yours, I disown you:::::

InvisibleDoseR
slacker
Re: Gotta move on to dung [Re: shroomizzy]
    #1413652 - 03/27/03 09:00 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Deleted per User's Request

--------------------
Look at me! http://myspace.com/asininegenius

InvisibleSixTango
Mycota

Loc: A little North of Paradis...
Re: Gotta move on to dung [Re: angryshroom]
    #1413894 - 03/27/03 10:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BTW--where did you find this tek? Was it written up by 6T? 

My foaf doesnt use oven bags (because he has all sorts of autoclave bags).

That said, an oven bag (in an oven tray, for support) works great for oven pasturizing. For that matter, you don't even need an oven bag, if you have a big roast or turkey pan? You can just oven pasturize in it.

Hint: Use a meat thermometer, to insure the center of the mix gets up to the 170 to 185 F stage & let it stay in that range for a coulple hours. Hint: Have a fan handy to vent the stove area. Unless you like a barn yard smell in your kitchen.  :smirk:

If you have some aged, somewhat leach horse or cow manure (from an outside pile) & wheat straw? You are in like Flynn.  :wink:

Just chop a bunch of straw with a hedge trimmer, skill saw (or whatever), throw it in a 5 gallon bucket, add about 20% manure,  enough water to cover the mix & stir it all up. Then let it set a few days, so the shiny straw bio/degrades a bit & soaks up nutes from the dung, in with it.

Then, drain the bucket, add more dung......... until the mix is around 50/50 dung straw. Adding the dryer manure wilkl absorb much of the water out of the mix you soaked.

Just get it all to the moisture point, where when you give it a firm squeeze, it only drips a drop or 3.

Then, load an oven bag, pot, pan (or whatever) & slide the thing in an oven.

HINT, have the oven set around 250 / 300 F for the first 30 or 40 minutes, to get the whole mix heated up faster. Monitor the meat thermometer & when it reaches the 170 / 180 range, back the temp dial DOWN......... so it maintainsthat temp, for around 2 full hours.

Once done, allow to cool to room temp, check moisture content (again) to insure it is right (add sterile water with a spray bottle, if needed).

You are set to dump the substrate into a CLEAN tray & add spawn. Cakes shredded in a cheese grader work fine (or throw a few in a CLEAN food processor & chop to fine bits). WBS is better (IMHO).

Spawn ratio to substrate should be at least 10% & 20% colonizes that much quicker.

:smile:

Another way.......if you have the stuff is to fill filter/patch autoclave bags with UNpasturized dung/straw mix.........PC for 90  minutes @ 15 lbs, allow to cool, dump spawn into the bags, mix & seal (these were sealed with a micro/porious surgical tape). They colonized like FAST.

The brown fluid is not a bacterial infection. Around 90 to 95% colonization, the substrate seems to squeeze out a fluid, about like tobaco juice (for whatever reason).

Once fully colonized, simply empty the bag (or bags) into a CLEAN tray & gentle crush them flat (to fill the tray - evenly.  Cover with loose tin foil for 3 to 5 days, soi the knit togather & you are ready to cover the surface with a pH balenced casing mix.
6T  :tongue:

--------------------
~whiskey river rafting, hot tubbing, dirty dancing & spending money on - wild women - having fun & just gonna waste the rest~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Autoclave, Brown Rice Flour, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation