Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: Phred]
    #1412695 - 03/26/03 08:06 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Pinky - Hitler posed a grave threat to the US. Do you think the US would have enjoyed the kind of economic growth that it saw after the war if europe had been under Nazi control? Thats why the US joined in. So I was wrong. There is a comparison because on both occasions the US have primarily been protecting their economic interests

--------------------
Always Smi2le

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAbsolut_B
Just some guy

Loc: In my pants
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: oDin]
    #1412854 - 03/26/03 10:18 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Well said oDin...

I don't know about using ww2 to compare. In hindsight it is obvious that the US did the right thing. I will say that the same arguements were used against the US entering the second world war as are being used against the US entering this war.( it was a foreign matter, etc) However the arguement for going to war against Iraq is quite different. In at least one area the war with Germany was cleaner. We knew who are enemies were and we fought them. Today our enemies cloud themselves in international influence and denials. I wish things were as clear cut today as in the past, it would make our lives much easier and less fearful.

Edited by Quebst (03/26/03 10:25 PM)

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: Absolut_B]
    #1412947 - 03/27/03 12:10 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

>>Still nobody has given any other alternitives to the United States action, and every response I get is an attack of one phrase or so of my post. I have posted my reasons for war. I look forward to someone posting their reasons against it, in cival manner appropriate to such an important issue. Any takers?

I like your style. when people take one line from your post and then just dispute that and ignore the rest no matter how valid it may be, it really pisses me off. It always seems to happen here too, which is why i dont come here much anymore.

With that said, i'll tell you why i don't support the war.

This war will cause more harm than good, and all the motives for this war have not been made clear to the american people or the world for that matter. It's that simple, and infact it has already started.

One reason i believe that this will have a negative affect is because it's divided all our alliances(cept a few) our government has confirmed alot of the worlds views on americans and their leaders. The majority of the world finds us to be arrogant, oil hungry, war mongers. Thats bad, world relations are important for many reasons, and we can't just brush off the whole rest of the worlds opinions. It will create problems in the future for sure. and these are just our "allies" i'm talking about.

The arab nations on the other hand hate america more than ever. except for kuwait, i'm pretty sure every other nation in the middle east has condemmed this attack...since muslims attack us, we only attack muslim nations. This is what arabs see and they probably feel like this is a religious thing, so that only makes matters worse. the US attacking iraq is only adding fuel to the fire and causing the cycle of violence to grow.

Some say this is part of the war against terror..OK, well it's not going to help. It's only causing more hate towards the US from arab countries who see us invading muslim nations systematically regardless of what the world thinks is right. The US government/army is reinforcing a huge wave of hatred in the middle east that is directed at americans. So basically what we are doing once again is adding fuel to the terrorists' fire...it will now be easier than ever for them to use propaganda to recruit more terroists who hate the USA even more than the previous terrorists did. I believe if you are for the war in iraq you are also indirectly for terrorism, because this war will justify terrorism to alot of young arab men.

Another reason i disaprove of this war is because i really won't feel any safer if saddam is dead...i think the only way he would sell WOMD to terrorists is if he was pushed into a corner and had no other choice, knowing he was going to die soon...That's what's happening right now obviously. He knows he's going to die, so now he really has nothing to lose. If we werent at war with iraq, i dont think he would sell these weapons to people like bin laden because if he did..and the terrorists used them, it would be traced back to saddam and he would face certain war and death. Our intelligence agencies would be able to trace something like this back to him and he knows it...of course now he has nothing to lose and arab terrorists hate us more than ever...so who knows what will happen now? maybe it's why they raised the threat level.

Another thing that is very clear to me is that this will not solve all our problems...this war on terror will just go on and on if we keep trying to deal with it by bombing countries. A war on terror is something that can't be "won" The USA will never be able to wipe out all the terrorists no matter how many billions of dollars they spend on dropping bombs. The war on terror is basically set up to be a endless conflict that will go on forever if we keep giving terrorists reasons to hate us. It's exactly like the isreal/palestinian situation, only on a much larger scale. they bomb us...we bomb them..etc etc and both sides claim to be retaliating the whole time. That is just two very small countries and has it ended yet? NO! so, basically i think this is just the beginning of a long cycle of violence.

The last reason i don't support the war is because to me the motives seem to be fake. Ok...yes saddam is a bad dictator and he mistreats his people...this is wrong of course. But there are dozens of nations with dictators that are just as bad if not worse than saddam. So why are we just going for saddam and not all the horrible leaders around the world? What sets iraq apart from say...N Korea? it's quite simple really...iraq has the second largest oil reserve on the planet. OIL..that's the difference. A country like N Korea which is a MUCH larger threat to us than iraq, is flaunting it's nuclear missles and saying they arent even going to bother having and diplomatic realations with us..they basically told us to fuck off when the US offered them food and energy aid if they'd give up their nuke program. N Korea could nuke american cities, and their leader is a crazy evil dictator just like saddam. But our government ignores the real threat and goes after saddam...and thats typical. This war isn't about freeing the iraqis or getting rid of his crappy weapons(if he even has any) the motives for this war are vengence(for bush cuz saddam tried to kill his father), OIL, and approval ratings, cuz everyone knows that wartime presidents do well at the polls(that is, if they win the war...which is another reason we arent going after N Korea...we'd probably lose unless we nuked them)

Now...as far as i can tell the only reason to be FOR the war is because A. saddam is a evil guy who tortures people and does generally bad things to his people. B. He might have WOMD C. He broke the UN resolution.

those are good reasons...but i don't think they justify war. It's really very poor short term thinking to think this war will help us.

What i suggest we do is this. Stop bombing arab nations.....We need to work with these nations through more diplomacy and we need to be fair and rational with them(we can't just turn a blind when isreal levels a town of palestinians) We should help these countries with more aid and make sure that the people in those countried know where it's coming from.

Then we need to stop wasting billions on these wars and creating more terrorists and instead put that money towards aid for other countries and for homeland security to protect in case any terrorists do try to attack. We also need to put some of this money into better international intelligence to further guard against terrorism.

Combining good iternational relations with these arab nations and providing aid for them so they trust us a little more will most likly help more than bombing iraq. Meanwhile increased intelligence and better security will guard our country while arab-american relations are repaired.

As far as saddam goes...we should have listened to the rest of the world and stuck with inspections. We should just monitor him closely and keep him contained like we have been doing. I don't think he's as dangerous as some people think...he's pretty old and shit now and hopefully will die of old age soon enough.

On the other hand..though we could asassinate him or help train a coup...of course this is illegal according to the UN, but so is theis war...Plus! we have made the UN and irrelevent organization recently...so hey, what the hell! It still makes more since than starting a war to kill one guy.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1412950 - 03/27/03 12:15 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

I like your style. when people take one line from your post and then just dispute that and ignore the rest no matter how valid it may be, it really pisses me off. It always seems to happen here too, which is why i dont come here much anymore. 

Golly! No wonder it's no fun here anymore!

See, I used two lines from your post. Feel better now? :smirk:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1412957 - 03/27/03 12:29 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

you know what i'm talking about. when people miss your point on purpose because they want to appear right...so they pick out some little minor part of your post and argue against that instead, completly ignoring the point of the post. It's annoying as hell.

whats the point of discussing politics if everyone refuses to give each others ideas a chance. is it some kind of ego boosting method or something?

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1412971 - 03/27/03 12:47 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

whats the point of discussing politics if everyone refuses to give each others ideas a chance. is it some kind of ego boosting method or something?

Everyone likes to win. Some people get off on it more than others.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1412972 - 03/27/03 12:48 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Just havin a little fun with ya Jonny.

Some of us LIKE the details. And sometimes the minor part can change much of the meaning of the entire post.

Don't be annoyed. It's only a message board and as such doesn't warrant being annoyed by.

The entire point of posting your ideas here is for people to talk about. That doesn't mean they have to take them seriously or agree with them or even give them a chance. And even if they do raz you about them, it doesn't mean they don't give any thought to what you said.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Edited by luvdemshrooms (03/27/03 12:48 AM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1413036 - 03/27/03 01:58 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 writes:

Well, let me put it this way--If Saddam was invading other countries like he did before Gulf War 1, then I MIGHT support a war to get him out.

Why? He would still be no threat to the US. Let someone else deal with it.

Well, I wouldn't want to be the first to declare war, but I would be ok with assisting other countries in pushing back the invasion(Like we did with Britain in WW2). At least that way, we wouldn't be building on our reputation as an arrogant, aggressive, and dangerous nation.

Quote:

Also, I support other means of removing Saddam other than war(such as covert action and training resistance groups, etc.)

You think covert ops have never been planned? Or even tried? You may not be aware that the UN charter forbids such ops, by the way. It also forbids training resistance groups.

Well, it certainly hasn't stopped us in the past. If we're going to ignore the U.N. anyway, we might as well try it.

Quote:

Speaking of resistance groups, and for the people that say the Iraqis should rebel and take back their country from Hussein, I remind them that they tried that in 1991. The rebellion failed, and tens (some say hundreds) of thousands were then executed by Hussein.

That's what can happen, sometimes. If it doesn't work, then it's tragic, but that's the way it goes. I'd still rather give it another try than sacrifice our own soldiers.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1413183 - 03/27/03 03:33 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

GazzBut writes:

how you could ever compare the current situation with WWII is beyond me. There is absolutely no comparison.

You are 100% wrong. In the context of silversoul7's declaration (which is, after all, what I am addressing) there is every comparison.

The whole thing started with silversoul7 saying that Hussein is not a threat to the US. Silversoul7 is correct; he isn't -- at least not a direct threat in the sense of being capable of mounting an invasion or lobbing a missile at the US. He may or may not choose to pass some of his weaponry on to terrorists that may or may not then attack the US, but the same could be said of several other countries.

Silversoul7 argues that since Hussein is not a direct threat to the US, the US has no moral right to make war against him.

Fine. That is an not an argument that should be easily dismissed. In fact it is an excellent argument, one of the strongest that the anti-war crowd can make -- probably THE strongest.

However, if we are to invoke that argument in the current situation, we must (in order to be consistent) apply the same argument in all wars in which the US has been involved. I chose to apply it to WWII, but I could as easily have applied it to World War I or the Korean War or the Viet Nam war as well.

When applied to WWII, we see that just as Hussein in 2003 is no direct threat to the US, so Hitler in 1941 was no direct threat to the US. Therefore, we can say in good conscience that since the US is under no obligation to be the world's policeman, it would have been correct to stay out both conflicts, or to restrict its part in the conflict to the defense of its own borders. It wasn't America's problem that Hussein invaded Kuwait. It wasn't America's problem that Germany invaded most of Europe, either.

Alex correctly points out that Germany declared war on the US, not the other way around. This didn't obligate the US to respond to that declaration. It certainly didn't obligate the US to take the battle to Hitler. It would have been perfectly acceptable to increase coastal defenses of the US and wait for Hitler to bring the battle to the shores of the US. Note that if the US had fought the war in this manner, there would have been far fewer civilian casualties in WWII, and we all know that even one civilian casualty is too many, regardless of the "justness" of the cause.

If you wish to argue that there were other reasons than defending US soil that justify America's invasion of Europe, feel free to do so, but be aware that if you take that position, consistency demands you also take that position in regard to the current war with Hussein's Iraq.

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1413191 - 03/27/03 03:37 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Don't be annoyed. It's only a message board and as such doesn't warrant being annoyed by.

Funny coming from you luv, seeing as the slightest disagreement to your way of thinking sends you into apoplexy  :smirk:

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1413198 - 03/27/03 03:43 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

It wasn't America's problem that Hussein invaded Kuwait.

Depends. Losing control of enormous amounts of oil isn't something the US is exactly keen on.

It would have been perfectly acceptable to increase coastal defenses of the US and wait for Hitler to bring the battle to the shores of the US

Trouble is Russia would have quickly overwhelmed Europe, a prospect not too pleasing to the american power elite of the day.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: GazzBut]
    #1413202 - 03/27/03 03:44 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

GazzBut writes:

Hitler posed a grave threat to the US. Do you think the US would have enjoyed the kind of economic growth that it saw after the war if europe had been under Nazi control?

How so? Do you think that France and Poland and Norway under Nazi rule would have had less need for trade with the US than as free entities? Please elaborate.

Note that you are now dragging "economic damage" into the arena -- not even actual economic damage at that, merely the hypothesis that there may eventually have been some. Are you sure you want to do that?

Thats why the US joined in.

Perhaps it was. If so, it was wrong to do so for that reason, wasn't it? After all, there was no physical threat to the US or its citizens, merely the possibility that some wealthy capitalist orporations may have seen some decreased revenue from former overseas trading partners. Are you saying that justifies going to war?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1413227 - 03/27/03 03:58 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Do you think that France and Poland and Norway under Nazi rule would have had less need for trade with the US than as free entities? Please elaborate.

Not as simple as that pink. Remember Hitler was an ally of Japan. If he'dve been able to beat Russia both he and Japan would have taken complete control of the south east asian market which the US was desperate to control. It really wouldn't have been a good idea for america to ignore it.

The other option, if they stayed out of the war and simply let Russia overwhelm Europe would have been almost as bad.

Either way, Hitler was a terrible threat to the US economically. Far, far more than Saddam.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Re: War people, why do you support the war? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1413234 - 03/27/03 04:00 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Alex123 writes:

Losing control of enormous amounts of oil isn't something the US is exactly keen on.

Irrelevant. First of all, Kuwait didn't have "enormous" amounts of oil -- certainly not on comparison to the amounts Iraq has. Secondly, America didn't "control" Kuwait's oil, it merely purchased it, as did many other countries. Not only did America purchase oil from Kuwait, but also from Iraq. If Kuwait had become nothing more than another province of Iraq, America would simply have bought the ex-Kuwaiti oil from Iraq. No problem.

Trouble is Russia would have quickly overwhelmed Europe, a prospect not too pleasing to the american power elite of the day.

First of all, in 1941 there wasn't the slightest indication that Stalin's Russia could even push Hitler's armies out of Russia, let alone eventually conquer all of Europe.

Leaving that aside for the moment, in essence you are saying that reasons other than Hitler's threat (or lack thereof) to the US justified their invasion of Europe. If so, do you not agree that reasons other than Hussein's threat (or lack thereof) to the US have relevance to this war?

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1413250 - 03/27/03 04:07 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Alex123 writes:

If he'dve been able to beat Russia both he and Japan would have taken complete control of the south east asian market which the US was desperate to control. It really wouldn't have been a good idea for america to ignore it.

So you, like GazzBut, are justifying America's invasion of Europe not by claiming that Hitler's Germany was a threat to the US, but that it was a potential threat to some of America's foreign trade market share -- to be blunt, you are justifying their actions from an economic stance rather than from a self-defense stance. Fine.

Is the economic argument not then equally appropriate in the current war?

pinky

--------------------

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1413253 - 03/27/03 04:09 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

If Kuwait had become nothing more than another province of Iraq, America would simply have bought the ex-Kuwaiti oil from Iraq. No problem.

Not as simple as that. The cold war had just ended and the US was the sole superpower with a desperate need to justify it's enormous "defence" spending. A new enemy was needed and Saddam fit the bill.

First of all, in 1941 there wasn't the slightest indication that Stalin's Russia could even push Hitler's armies out of Russia, let alone eventually conquer all of Europe.

It's generally accepted that even Hitler himself had realised by the end of 1941 that victory in the east in the sense he'd imagined it couldn't be achieved. Which is why he ordered the extermination of the jews to be planned at the wannasee conference in january 42.

If so, do you not agree that reasons other than Hussein's threat (or lack thereof) to the US have relevance to this war?

What reasons are you talking about?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1413263 - 03/27/03 04:14 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

So you, like GazzBut

No, just me. Gazz can speak perfectly well for himself.

are justifying America's invasion of Europe not by claiming that Hitler's Germany was a threat to the US, but that it was a potential threat

to be blunt, you are justifying their actions from an economic stance rather than from a self-defense stance.

Not sure what you mean. Economic threats are often considered just as real as any other threats. If the Russians had invaded the middle east and not made any aggressive moves to the US would this have been ok?

Is the economic argument not then equally appropriate in the current war?

In what sense? Saddam is the leader of a devastated country in extreme poverty. What economic threat does he pose?

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1413320 - 03/27/03 04:42 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Alex123 writes:

Not as simple as that. The cold war had just ended and the US was the sole superpower with a desperate need to justify it's enormous "defence" spending. A new enemy was needed and Saddam fit the bill.

And, as usual, that has nothing to do with your erroneous claim to which I was responding -- "Losing control of enormous amounts of oil isn't something the US is exactly keen on." As I pointed out, the US was in no danger of losing any access (note I use "access" rather than "control" since the US never had control of it -- Kuwait did) to any of that oil -- at that time they still had a good working relationship with Hussein, as you never tire of reminding us. Why would Hussein have denied them that oil?

It's generally accepted that even Hitler himself had realised by the end of 1941 that victory in the east in the sense he'd imagined it couldn't be achieved.

Incorrect. That is not even "generally accepted" today with the benefit of sixty years of hindsight, let alone at the time the US entered WWII. Source, please. Even if Hitler did start to have doubts, those doubts were certainly not available to the US government. To say that the US feared, in 1941, that Stalin would eventually defeat Hitler and conquer all of Europe is incorrect.

What reasons are you talking about?

Since you have been trying to justify the US's invasion of Europe in WWII through economic reasons, do you care to do the same in the case of Iraq?

pinky

--------------------

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

#1413333 - 03/27/03 04:49 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Alex123 writes:

Economic threats are often considered just as real as any other threats.

Because they are considered so does not make them so. I will ask you this knowing full well that you will never answer it, but I will ask it anyway:

Do you believe the US was justified in entering WWII and actively taking the battle to Hitler rather than waiting to repel any threat to the territory of the US?

If the Russians had invaded the middle east and not made any aggressive moves to the US would this have been ok?

You mean similar to the way the Russians invaded half the sovereign countries of Europe while the US stood by and did nothing? It would have been every bit as "OK" to stand by and watch that occur as it was to watch Poland and Hungary and Czechoslovakia and ________ (add another dozen here).

pinky

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1413339 - 03/27/03 04:53 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Funny coming from you luv, seeing as the slightest disagreement to your way of thinking sends you into apoplexy  :smirk: 

Well Alpo, I know in your own mind you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I can assure you.. you aren't.

I can also assure you you've never been able to more than slightly annoy me. You just don't have what it takes.

But.... the world needs dreamers, so go right on dreaming.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds