Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleJonnyOnTheSpot
Sober Surfer
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Carolina
when the oil is all used up...
    #1412835 - 03/26/03 11:55 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

what will humanity do? Human survival is centered around oil right now and oil is running out quick. In 20 years when theres another 2 billion people on this planet things will not have gotten any easier. Why is every country so fixated on oil these days? does no one realize that ignoring problems is the single most idiotic thing someone can do?

When the oil wells are dried up and only a few of them are left perhaps a war for oil will occur..it would most likely involve alot of powerful countries. It could be the long prophesized WW3..and it would probably destroy us all. Hopefully by the time the wells are drying up people will put their 67 mustangs and suv's to the side and be a little more responsible. Perhaps people will actually realize someday that if the world continues at the pace it's been going for the last 150 years then we will ultimately destroy ourselves. Humanity will destroy itself if people don't realize this soon.

150 years isn't a very long time, it's a speck in the existence of civilized man, and the history of civilized man is only a speck in the scheme of things. and yet the humans of 100 years ago were no where near as dependent on oil as they our now..and it's only gonna get worse unless someone starts taking alternate power sources seriously, amongst other things.

In 20 years...8 billion people. In 40? maybe 11 billion. These people will all need food, water, and clean air to breath or we might as well "put them down" when they are born. And as the population of the world spirals out of control us "civilized" nation are becoming more and more dependent on a natural resource that is slowly being depleted more and more each day.

I think human civilization might destroy itself in my lifetime..thats pretty grim and crazy sounding i know...But this is a new era of history, nothing like this world has ever exsisted to my knowledge...so we have no history to learn from, and trial and error can only take us so far. Total depletion of the energy sources that make this world work combined with the massive world populations of the future is, to me, a very serious problem that must be dealt with now as opposed to later.

Sooner or later people will have to put aside their petty politics and differences and realize that something must change, and we must ALL have a part in it, together.

Maybe the "apocalypse" that has been fortold over the centuries will be civilization collapsing instead of the "everyone dies" end of the world scenario most people think of when they hear apocalypse.  heheh...it's kind of funny though because not being able to watch TV or eating processed foods really would be "the end of the world" for some people.  :wink: It would supremly humiliating if the dinosaurs(animals with brains the size of walnuts) ended up living millions of years longer than we do...Hmm..it's also ironic that a substance(oil) that comes from the last great group of animals to become extint(dinosaurs) might cause us to destroy ourselves...hehe. maybe it's god saying "you fuckers will never learn will you".....Anyway, people need to either get alot smarter and deal with these massive problems, or people need to get stupider and go back to living in caves again..sad but true  :frown:

SO...if anyone can think of anyway to raise peoples awarness about these massive problems looming in our future, post them! and any ideas to help solve these problems are also welcome.

--------------------
Religion is for people who are afraid of going to Hell; spirituality is for those who have been there.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1412913 - 03/27/03 01:13 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

There is also a more optimistic scenario. The prices of oil will go up before it runs out and higher oil prices will make other cleaner technologies profitable. There will be no change as long as we keep oil prices low.

OfflineFred Garvin
Male Prostitute
Loc: The northern part of sout...
Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: zeronio]
    #1413084 - 03/27/03 04:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Perhaps some form of birth and population control might be in order too. The simple fact of the matter is that there are too many people on the earth, with the population rising all the time, even when it outpaces the ability of the environment to support it. Overpopulation will be the doom of mankind, not lack of oil.

--------------------

The above statements are just the incoherent babblings of your friendly neighborhood Cracker!

Shur drinkin kils brane sells--but only the week ones!!

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: Fred Garvin]
    #1413396 - 03/27/03 07:25 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

We are no where near overpopulated. Some cities are overcrouded but as a whole the earth can hold and support more people.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: z@z.com]
    #1413430 - 03/27/03 07:36 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

the population of the world is growing exponentially. 6 billion people leave a lot more children then 4 billion. we will reach a carry capacity. this world can't support infinite life. what will cause the birth rate to become 0%? it will have to happen... mass starvations.. war...sterilizations.

OfflineyelimS
bohem

Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: ]
    #1413449 - 03/27/03 07:44 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

that's why I'm against war on Iraq. i can't wait for saddam to take on the world, leaving only a group of hemp growing hippies (that would include me)

seriously though (although i can't say i don't like my first theory), hasn't the UN estimated a population top at 16 billion in 20 years or so? i might've gotten the numbers all wrong, but point is, population will soon reach it's height.

oh.. and does anyone know much about hemp as fuel? i think the potential sounds a little exagerated, but you never can tell.

Edited by yelimS (03/27/03 07:51 AM)

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: JonnyOnTheSpot]
    #1413467 - 03/27/03 07:50 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I totally hear you my friend.

Whats scary is that so much wealth of the US is created from oil and car companies. You wonder why the hybrid cars are so damn ugly... They dont really want you to buy them, they want you to keep spending money on oil so they get more rich.

The whole SUV thing is a marketing scam. When you drive by a new car lot, you see 90% SUV models out on the front row. They want you to use their oil , more and more, and its funny that we are going into an oil crisis.

Its really true though, we should be starting new technology. Think about it, if the US started now, and perfected environmentally safe cars and transportation engines which created little or no byproducts, they would be able to make a fortune selling them all over the world. They could be the leader in the next generation of cars.

No matter what people say that "We are putting a lot of money into research...blaha blah blah".. I want to see something good come out of this. Hybrid cars are at least 10 years old, and we still are relying on gas... I'd like to see more information of the fuel cell, and other technologies.

What will happen to the world without petroleum? Id think that they should really watch the usage, I mean, we should have reserves of it for things like asphalt and other fuels not used for just transportation engines. I guess they are trying to make synthetic crude oil... but, that just seems like digging ourselfs into a deeper ditch... We could never produce the millions of barrels of oil we use in a single day...(Without killing off mankind)

I think I read that in 200 years, if our population continues to grow at the rate it is now, we will be fully populated. That means that every square inch that is not used for a home or store or road, will need to be used as a farmland to feed everyone.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: when the oil is all used up... [Re: angryshroom]
    #1413493 - 03/27/03 08:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

New and viable hybrid technologies have already been developed, and would put conventional cars to shame...

But the transision is gonna cost $$$<$$$<$$$<$$$

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Hemp

General Interest >> Political Discussion