Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: The Doors

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
An outrage, an obscenity
    #1412340 - 03/26/03 07:48 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

http://argument.independent.co.uk/commentators/story.jsp?story=391165

Robert Fisk: 'It was an outrage, an obscenity'
27 March 2003

It was an outrage, an obscenity. The severed hand on the metal door, the swamp of blood and mud across the road, the human brains inside a garage, the incinerated, skeletal remains of an Iraqi mother and her three small children in their still-smouldering car.

Two missiles from an American jet killed them all ? by my estimate, more than 20 Iraqi civilians, torn to pieces before they could be 'liberated' by the nation that destroyed their lives. Who dares, I ask myself, to call this 'collateral damage'? Abu Taleb Street was packed with pedestrians and motorists when the American pilot approached through the dense sandstorm that covered northern Baghdad in a cloak of red and yellow dust and rain yesterday morning.

It's a dirt-poor neighbourhood, of mostly Shia Muslims, the same people whom Messrs Bush and Blair still fondly hope will rise up against President Saddam Hussein, a place of oil-sodden car-repair shops, overcrowded apartments and cheap caf?s. Everyone I spoke to heard the plane. One man, so shocked by the headless corpses he had just seen, could say only two words. "Roar, flash," he kept saying and then closed his eyes so tight that the muscles rippled between them.

How should one record so terrible an event? Perhaps a medical report would be more appropriate. But the final death toll is expected to be near to 30 and Iraqis are now witnessing these awful things each day; so there is no reason why the truth, all the truth, of what they see should not be told.

For another question occurred to me as I walked through this place of massacre yesterday. If this is what we are seeing in Baghdad, what is happening in Basra and Nasiriyah and Kerbala? How many civilians are dying there too, anonymously, indeed unrecorded, because there are no reporters to be witness to their suffering?

Abu Hassan and Malek Hammoud were preparing lunch for customers at the Nasser restaurant on the north side of Abu Taleb Street. The missile that killed them landed next to the westbound carriageway, its blast tearing away the front of the caf? and cutting the two men ? the first 48, the second only 18 ? to pieces. A fellow worker led me through the rubble. "This is all that is left of them now," he said, holding out before me an oven pan dripping with blood.

At least 15 cars burst into flames, burning many of their occupants to death. Several men tore desperately at the doors of another flame-shrouded car in the centre of the street that had been flipped upside down by the same missile. They were forced to watch helplessly as the woman and her three children inside were cremated alive in front of them. The second missile hit neatly on the eastbound carriageway, sending shards of metal into three men standing outside a concrete apartment block with the words, "This is God's possession" written in marble on the outside wall.

The building's manager, Hishem Danoon, ran to the doorway as soon as he heard the massive explosion. "I found Ta'ar in pieces over there," he told me. His head was blown off. "That's his hand." A group of young men and a woman took me into the street and there, a scene from any horror film, was Ta'ar's hand, cut off at the wrist, his four fingers and thumb grasping a piece of iron roofing. His young colleague, Sermed, died the same instant. His brains lay piled a few feet away, a pale red and grey mess behind a burnt car. Both men worked for Danoon. So did a doorman who was also killed.

As each survivor talked, the dead regained their identities. There was the electrical shop-owner killed behind his counter by the same missile that cut down Ta'ar and Sermed and the doorman, and the young girl standing on the central reservation, trying to cross the road, and the truck driver who was only feet from the point of impact and the beggar who regularly called to see Mr Danoon for bread and who was just leaving when the missiles came screaming through the sandstorm to destroy him.

In Qatar, the Anglo-American forces ? let's forget this nonsense about "coalition" ? announced an inquiry. The Iraqi government, who are the only ones to benefit from the propaganda value of such a bloodbath, naturally denounced the slaughter, which they initially put at 14 dead. So what was the real target? Some Iraqis said there was a military encampment less than a mile from the street, though I couldn't find it. Others talked about a local fire brigade headquarters, but the fire brigade can hardly be described as a military target.

Certainly, there had been an attack less than an hour earlier on a military camp further north. I was driving past the base when two rockets exploded and I saw Iraqi soldiers running for their lives out of the gates and along the side of the highway. Then I heard two more explosions; these were the missiles that hit Abu Taleb Street.

Of course, the pilot who killed the innocent yesterday could not see his victims. Pilots fire through computer-aligned co-ordinates, and the sandstorm would have hidden the street from his vision. But when one of Malek Hammoud's friends asked me how the Americans could so blithely kill those they claimed to want to liberate, he didn't want to learn about the science of avionics or weapons delivery systems.

And why should he? For this is happening almost every day in Baghdad. Three days ago, an entire family of nine was wiped out in their home near the centre of the city. A busload of civilian passengers were reportedly killed on a road south of Baghdad two days ago. Only yesterday were Iraqis learning the identity of five civilian passengers slaughtered on a Syrian bus that was attacked by American aircraft close to the Iraqi border at the weekend.

The truth is that nowhere is safe in Baghdad, and as the Americans and British close their siege in the next few days or hours, that simple message will become ever more real and ever more bloody.

We may put on the hairshirt of morality in explaining why these people should die. They died because of 11 September, we may say, because of President Saddam's "weapons of mass destruction", because of human rights abuses, because of our desperate desire to "liberate" them all. Let us not confuse the issue with oil. Either way, I'll bet we are told President Saddam is ultimately responsible for their deaths. We shan't mention the pilot, of course.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: Xlea321]
    #1412494 - 03/26/03 08:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Or maybe it was an Iraqi rocket.

--------------------

Offlinerhizo
herb eater

Loc: Asia
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1412644 - 03/26/03 09:44 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

strike was too accurate to be an iraqi missile, and damage was too great to be caused by a rocket. if the pentagon is going to make any real progress then they have to scare the shit out of average joe baghdadi and convince him that resistance is futile. about the same time the news was getting out about bush's terrorist attack he was in Florida speaking to troops trying to rally them. This was his first time to do this and in his speech he went on and on about how strong his resolve is...basically saying that it doesn't matter how many get slaughtered he's going to "liberate" the people. This is *extremely* suspicious, as while they are reporting the missile news on one side of the tv, he's on the other side(split screen mode) justifying his actions. Seemed kind of strange to me because this was the first time for him to "rally" the troops. It obviously has huge propaganda value...having military people crying and clapping for bush, and then showing angry arabs in baghdad screaming and waving their fists wanting to kill americans.

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
    #1412798 - 03/26/03 10:50 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Or maybe it was an Iraqi rocket.

According to CNN in depth coverage of the event.

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: zeronio]
    #1412807 - 03/26/03 10:53 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

or Hermann Goering....err... Rumsfield.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

OfflineSkikid16
fungus fan

Loc: In the middle of the nort...
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: zeronio]
    #1412808 - 03/26/03 10:54 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

or Hermann Goering....err... Rumsfield, I mean.

--------------------
Re-Defeat Bush in '04

Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: Skikid16]
    #1412821 - 03/26/03 11:28 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

You probably meant Goebbels.
Here's what he had to say about USA: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/cas/gpa/goeb28.htm

Quote:

We could simply say that America is far away, with a big ocean separating us. What do we care about what they think, write or say about us? That is quite OK as long as the as long America's highly developed hate campaign against Germany kept within certain bounds. But when it infects even official circles rather than merely newspapers and radio stations, it becomes more serious.

Now, exchange words America with France & Germany with America and you get Rumsfeld. :grin:

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: rhizo]
    #1412822 - 03/26/03 11:31 PM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

strike was too accurate to be an iraqi missile, and damage was too great to be caused by a rocket.

What do you mean accurate? Do you think the weapon hit it's target?

Damage too great? Buildings right next to it were still standing with minor damage. If it were an American missile, most of the town would have been gone.

It may have been American, or it may not have, but I didn't see anything to indicate accuracy.

--------------------

Offlinepattern
multiplayer

Loc: Canada
    #1413139 - 03/27/03 04:52 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

America, by its own admission, is firing hundreds of missiles at Baghdad. This leads me to conclude it was an American missile which hit Baghdad.

> Or maybe it was an Iraqi rocket.

Why would Iraqis bomb themselves?

--------------------
man = monkey + mushroom

Anonymous

Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: pattern]
    #1413158 - 03/27/03 05:13 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Why would Iraqis bomb themselves?

For the same reason they're wearing US military uniforms and killing their own innocent civillians.

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: An outrage, an obscenity [Re: pattern]
    #1413159 - 03/27/03 05:14 AM (14 years, 4 months ago)

For similar reasons that George Bush would allow 9/11 to happen. (no, I'm not saying that little Jorge was behing that attack)

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: The Doors

General Interest >> Political Discussion