Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Oh what a lovely war
    #1412324 - 03/26/03 07:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

OH, what a dirty war! Now we see, not through a glass darkly, but through the clear window of American power.

President George Dubya Bush last night smirked his way through the path to victory in Baghdad. His cruel, self-important conviction shone through a television appearance in Tampa, Florida.

This is the way the world will be - because the Americans say so. Washington's strategy of "shock and awe" is not only delivered by bombs, but by the power of rich, evil men who have the political power to decide where the world is going.

So much is clear from President Bush, in his smug, arrogant remarks yesterday. The idea that Tony Blair has any real impact on the American big hit is a joke.

Yet he has to continue to pretend he can influence Washington. It is a worthwhile effort. But let's not pretend it will ever work.

George Bush has the consummate sense of power derived from his position as leader of the most powerful nation on earth.

He is an ape, but that doesn't matter - he is an ape with cruise missiles.

Bush vowed: "This band of war criminals has been put on notice. The day of Iraq's liberation will also be a day of justice."

Bush said Iraqi prisoners of war are being treated "according to the highest standards of law and decency". He said all this with a confident smirk. He allowed himself a thicko smile for every sound bite. And why not? He has more than Saddam in his sights.

The multi-million prize of a second term as US president is available, and his campaign to retain power on the back of dead Iraqis is under way. Bush's rally stank of a re-election campaign. He was greeted with enthusiastic applause by an audience of servicemen who cheered throughout the president's fiercest address since the war began.

He even had the nerve to laugh as he thanked the Governor of Florida, brother Jeb, for inviting him to Tampa. It was Jeb who inflicted Dubya on the world by fixing the electoral rolls in Miami allowing him to steal the election. The campaigner-in-chief then gloried in the standing ovation before walking into the crowd to shake hands. He even paused to kiss a baby.

For the rest of us in the real world, Bush's vanity is as dangerous as it is sickening. It also discredits us.

Our Prime Minister stands up in Parliament, as he did yesterday, arguing a military and diplomatic case for the destruction of Saddam's regime.

He sounds logical and persuasive. He does not convince me, nor a very large part of the British people. But at least he sounds convincing. But that cannot be said of Dubya, the thief leader who took his country and my own into war against the Iraqi people.

The Bush Administration is deeply corrupt. It came to power on a voting fiddle. It emerged from a plot by the oil barons who want the USA to rule the world for profit. And today, we have Tony Blair supping at the table of these disgusting people.

Every minute that he spends in the company of these nasties corrupts him - and my country.

I wonder if Tony Blair ever reflects on this unpleasant reality. This morning, he swans into fresh talks with Bush at Camp David. I wish him well in these exchanges.

But isn't it time that Britain asserted its proper, historic role in international relations? Every time that our Prime Minister goes to Washington to tug his forelock to George Dubya, it is a matter of shame to us.

Yesterday was a perfect example of why this should not happen. British commanders spoke carefully and quietly of their operations in Iraq. A classic understatement, of the kind that exemplifies our nation.

By contrast, taking their lead from George Bush, the Americans yelled "Victory!" Too soon, brothers, too soon.

The PM says he wants to bring the US into a deal for a new, post-conflict Iraq. He also knows Bush and his hard hats don't want to know anything about a UN-appointed administration to run Iraq once war is over. The Yanks want a US military junta to run it.

This is bullying. It is wrong, just like the war itself.

It is our task - the duty of the British people - to remind Blair that he represents the UK and not Middle America. Write to him. Call him. E-mail him. Reassert our democratic control over our Prime Minister.

Whatever you think about Tony Blair, he is still OUR Prime Minister, and he should listen to us - not the smirking, cross-eyed fool in the White House.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Oh what a lovely war [Re: Xlea321]
    #1413484 - 03/27/03 07:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, even canadas' PM, knew better...
Join us in support of peace!

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1413517 - 03/27/03 08:11 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Well. That was an entertaining read. Not much content though. Sounded an awe full lot like a rant to me.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1413530 - 03/27/03 08:16 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

not the smirking

Glad im not the only one who notices! :shocked:
Is it just me or when you see him do it, do you get a chill down your spine?  And its always over statments like "our only interest in iraq is the liberation of the iraqi people" *evil, lying smirk* :smirk:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
Re: Oh what a lovely war [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1413644 - 03/27/03 08:54 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Totally. Whenever i see the mammy rammer I always think he'd be fantastic at playing the psychotic in a teen slasher movie.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1413661 - 03/27/03 09:04 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

LOL:, now when i see him i wont be able to envision anything else! :crazy:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion