Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleCosmicJokeM
happy mutant
 User Gallery

Loc: Portland, OR
curious
    #1412024 - 03/26/03 05:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

how extensive is your understanding of world history? how do you think that effects your every day life, compared to those with greater and lesser abilities with detailed historical knowledge? how crucial to a well lived life in the 21st century is your need to understand cross cultural history? how do you feel when somebody hasn't the most basic , or at least an incredibly limited, understanding of very major historical events that have shaped society?
just curious, cj

--------------------
Everything is better than it was the last time.  I'm good.

If we could look into each others hearts, and understand the unique challenges each of us faces, I think we would treat each other much more gently, with more love, patience, tolerance, and care.

It takes a lot of courage to go out there and radiate your essence.

I know you scared, you should ask us if we scared too.  If you was there, and we just knew you cared too.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
Re: curious [Re: CosmicJoke]
    #1412293 - 03/26/03 07:24 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Learning where cultures come from, their affects, and how it relates to the point in history that we're at right now is, in a word, awesome.
I love learning and thinking about world history while tripping.
I can feel my awareness expanding.

Anonymous

#1412964 - 03/27/03 02:38 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My knowledge of world history is as extensive as what's taught in America's education system, which is next to nothing unfortunately. I could almost feel myself being brainwashed into an America-centric view of world history that only began in 1776 and occasionally included a country called Great Britain. Yes, non-Americans, this is what we are taught in school. And you wonder why we are so ignorant about the rest of the world.

I've been trying since I left high school to expand my knowledge of world history. Unfortunately university isn't much better and I'm astounded at the apparent disregard for the importance of ancient history, or even anything happening before the year 1200 AD.

I think the entire world would benefit if more people were aware of early non-Western cultural history.

InvisibleSenor_Doobie
Snake Pit Champion
 User Gallery

Loc: Wexico
Re: curious [Re: ]
    #1413008 - 03/27/03 03:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It is true. In all my years of public school, there was but one year dedicated to world history, BUT not even world history, WESTERN WORLD history, leaving the east to its own accord mostly. It was my freshman year of high school.

I took two more courses in WESTERN CIV in college, but man had I an elective right now I'd take something in EASTERN civ, cuz I don't know much of anything about them.

I love the East because it is unknown and mysterious to me.

Especially the great eastern religions.

To answe the question in a more direct fashion, i think to know where we came from is very important to know where we are headed and so I think the more you know about the past the more ready you are for today.

--------------------

OfflineMANNALORD
Vagabond Ninjafor Hire
Loc: F- R
Re: curious [Re: Senor_Doobie]
    #1413799 - 03/27/03 09:56 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In Canada's public schools we are taught about the rest of the world quite in depth. We learn about the history of the US too and Britain. I have taken some history courses like ancient history and learned much about the medieval times and earlier, all the way back to neanderthal days.

--------------------
Live and Die in FALL RIVER

Edited by MANNALORD (03/27/03 09:57 AM)

OfflineGrowingVines
Slowly Changinginto a Tree
Loc: GA
Re: curious [Re: MANNALORD]
    #1413814 - 03/27/03 10:02 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

if I actually applied myself in High School. I might have actually learned something. But the classes i had, let me get away with doing jackshit and still pass. Now i miss not having the knowledge of many things. But i am slowly learning at my own pace )

--------------------
Peace out my brothers, for everyone has a bit of insanity in them

Offlineresol
Stranger
Re: curious [Re: GrowingVines]
    #1414093 - 03/27/03 11:46 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've never really been interested in too many events in history. I absolutely hated U.S. History in H.S. Not because I thought it was pointless, because I don't, but moreso because it was just one of those topics that produced massive amounts of boredom in me. The best history lessons I've ever had have come from THC, or, The History Channel. Humanities, which is a history of the arts, science's, religions, etc of ancient worlds (took it this semester, as an 8 weeker), was interesting, especially Emperor Nero and his, well, insanity. I guess history is alright... but I don't think knowing what happened when, why, and how, is anything to get all excited about.

Offlineshaggy101
Male

Loc: ..still waiting for godot
    #1414789 - 03/27/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I always found history to be my favorite subject, at least until I discovered philosophy :smirk:.
I would say I have a good knowledge of history, but I think to say I understand history would be arrogant
and simple not true.

Since the past is obviously relevant to the present,  therefore future, then I must understand the past to
understand the present, and therefore also the future.
Every event in space/time will echoe its reprecussions throughout all of space/time so I would say we would
be best to learn from the past.

Though I cant say I understand history, I can say I observe it and strive to understand.
The data is there, to be studied or ignored, it is up to each of us.
Of course ones own life history is just as relevent as any other ancient or current event.

The knowledge is there the intelligence to decipher it is there it is only the wisdom or understanding we
seem to(although not altoghether ) lack.

I like the biblical parablle about the fruits of the plant.
Until I see the manifestations of the observation I cant say that I understand what I observe.  I can say I see
it though and am striving to understand.
If history is doomed to repeat itself..
I am still here observing, learning and ultimately hoping to understand.

Offlinecherokee
tennis shoes
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nationwide
    #1414862 - 03/27/03 05:34 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In my public school we learned the history of everywhere. My school offers courses called Western Philosophies and Eastern Philosophies. In the world history course we spent 1/4 of the year studying all the basic religions from Buddhism to Christianity.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: curious [Re: cherokee]
    #1414873 - 03/27/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I recently heard of a book publisher writing biased text books (anti-Amerikan) for schools.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: curious [Re: ]
    #1415909 - 03/28/03 12:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

My knowledge of world history is as extensive as what's taught in America's education system, which is next to nothing unfortunately. I could almost feel myself being brainwashed into an America-centric view of world history that only began in 1776 and occasionally included a country called Great Britain. Yes, non-Americans, this is what we are taught in school. And you wonder why we are so ignorant about the rest of the world.

Before I dropped out of high school so I could concentrate on learning what I REALLY need to know (everything related to music, running a band, etc.), I did learn quite a bit. I'm surprised you got such a one-sided view of history, because not only did I learn U.S. history (including previous to our government), I learned a lot about current events, Egyptians, Assiryans, Greeks, Romans, the Middle Ages, etc. I learned about the explorers, the start of civilization, the cavemen, the churches, inventions, the modern world (all sorts of stuff from all the decades of the 1900's), etc. I even learned about the state of Iowa's history in elementary school when I lived there.
I don't know where you live, but it is true that Iowa and Wisconsin have some of the best education systems in the U.S. I learned all of what I learned from my required classes and a couple of electives. It wasn't pushed down my throat from a pro U.S. point of view, either.

By the way, one thing I have noticed is that, for the most part, history teachers are always the coolest teachers there are. Anyone else notice this?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinetrippinlizard
gridwalker

Loc: in the shade of the mushr...
    #1415913 - 03/28/03 01:10 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

lol! american public school sucks ass!
the only reason i'm smart at all is cuz of my parents, they bought all these "eyewitness" books about a whole mess of things before i even got to elementary school. now i'm an honors student in HS. our school sucks so much, it has two history classes that showcase non-USA history and one is WESTERN civ. its so bullshit, they skip over a whole bunch of important stuff and only tell you what they want you to know.  we also have like 5 or 6 USA history classes, no in one of them did we hear anything about the Indianapolis, or basically anything that didn't have stars and stripes forever playing in the background.
its such bullshit...*TL weeps with insanity*  :frown:

--------------------
fine. do what you want, but i'm drinking the water.

Offlinetrippinlizard
gridwalker

Loc: in the shade of the mushr...
Re: curious [Re: trippinlizard]
    #1415916 - 03/28/03 01:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

oh, yeah one thing no one ever told us about in deapth was the systematic theft of an entire contient, my bad TWO contients, from an established and indigenous people, yeah, they aren't too proud of that one...only one teacher even went over it at all, and he was a pretty cool teacher, one that actually cares about the children and the country's future... peace.

--------------------
fine. do what you want, but i'm drinking the water.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: curious [Re: trippinlizard]
    #1415922 - 03/28/03 01:35 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

As usual, the responsibility for a good education relies soley on the person being educated. Only the people that want to learn are the ones that learn.
I got so much flak for dropping out of high school this December (senior year).
I was fucking rotting at school. I mean, I have serious goals of a life in music. NOWHERE was I learning what I need to know to do this. I am better off teaching myself, anyways. I mean, I am going to get my HSED a month or two before anyone at school gets their diploma (same exact thing). Think of how much time not going to school for five months frees up for me!
I mean, I learned some interesting things at school, for the most part, I didn't, but none of it had ANYTHING to do with what I need to learn.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: