Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

Loc: your grow closet
1st backup slants attempt.
    #14119351 - 03/14/11 01:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ok so I have never done this and am about to attempt my first back up tubes. So I have lab grade malt extract, should I use as directed or dilute it down?
Also if I'm doing the backups like RR says with wood in the tube, could I use those cool wooden coffee stir stix from starbucks intsead of buying medical tongue depressors? casue I'm pretty sure they are made from birch....
any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineclueless
justnew
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ANE Flag
Re: 1st backup slants attempt. [Re: cyanara]
    #14120062 - 03/14/11 03:53 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The wooden swizzle sick will work. I'd mix a standard mea mix. Fast Fred's Media Cookbook is a good reference if you need recipes.

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

Re: 1st backup slants attempt. [Re: clueless]
    #14120444 - 03/14/11 05:05 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

cool. I got this deliciouse lab grade MEA
says per liter of water.....
15g Agar
20g Malt
20g Dextrose
6g Pepton
and adjusts to 5.5 ph when done and at a nice 25C.
can't wait, this is gona be fun, i feel like a kid on xmas

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
    #14120484 - 03/14/11 05:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That seems really nutritional for slants. I use just agar and water with a wooden stick in it. It acts almost the same way as suspending mycelium in distilled water for long term storage. The lack of nutrients causes the mycelium to slow down its processes and allow for a longer storage time.

--------------------

You will be missed

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

Re: 1st backup slants attempt. [Re: TheShroomJew23]
    #14120558 - 03/14/11 05:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

ya, I just got this 1lbs bottle of lab MEA, I know stamets recomends 1/2 the ammount of malt for tube storage, I know i've asked a few times and RR said just to use the regular stuff, so..
I't my first time so chances are I'll fuck up something..

InvisibleTheShroomJew23
The Chemist
Male

Loc: Temple
    #14120601 - 03/14/11 05:30 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Well if your looking for easy long term storage, you should just store in distilled water. I have recently started working with cryogenicly  freezing mycelium in a glycol solutions. I got my fingers crossed.

--------------------

You will be missed

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14120865 - 03/14/11 06:14 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

long term storage, hopefuly. right now I just realy want to preserve my genetics. when I whent to the science store they always have this discount rack, and they had these pre-sterilized drahm like vials with screw cap and injector ports... should of gotten some or at least asked the guy if they where autoclavable.. perfect for LC and water suspension.

InvisibleCheeWiz
Male

#14136909 - 03/17/11 01:49 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hi cyanara; that is an overly rich medium. A standard MEA is 30gr DME and 15gr agar in to a liter of water. The medium that RR uses is from Fungi Perfecti which is Paul Stamets company and is 20gr DME, 20gr agar, 2gr yeast extract and 1gr soy peptone. This is the one I would recommend using.

You might want to uses just 30gr of your MEA powder instead of 61gr plus 10gr of agar to a liter of water.

Edited by CheeWiz (03/17/11 04:19 PM)

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

Re: 1st backup slants attempt. [Re: CheeWiz]
    #14136983 - 03/17/11 02:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

word...

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14167916 - 03/23/11 12:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

TheShroomJew23 said:
That seems really nutritional for slants. I use just agar and water with a wooden stick in it. It acts almost the same way as suspending mycelium in distilled water for long term storage. The lack of nutrients causes the mycelium to slow down its processes and allow for a longer storage time.

how much growth do you get on just agar with a wooden stick?

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #14168969 - 03/23/11 09:48 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

slants are tricky, and you will do better the more you try. RR's trick with the little piece of wood is the word, I tried that during last winters slant lab and I have never had better success. Stametes IN GGMM states that he doubles the agar for firmness. I tried that and found the result to be too firm. so I go with 15g of agar per 500 ml of solution. He also states that the agar mix can be essentially non nutritive, which I agree with. It encourages the myc to run the slant and then shut down. The little piece of wood is nut enough, and when I start pulling on last winters slants a year from now I will pull the wood, clip off a little piece from the end and drop onto a plate.

I have a stir table that I mix for a long period of time my agar solution to ensure a thorough dissolve of the agar. I usually make up my mix in a 1000ml beaker and then go to have breakfast and a shower before coming back, and transferring the agar into the slants and PCing

:goodluck:

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

:aliendance::aliendance::wicca::aliendance::aliendance::pipesmoke:

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

Re: 1st backup slants attempt. [Re: mycoelf]
    #14169072 - 03/23/11 10:14 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thanks man, I finaly have some good genetics and don't want to loose them.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#14171133 - 03/23/11 04:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

if my house caught on fire, once my dog was out I would go for the slant cooler in the fringe and my 2tgig external hard drive, which are in a comparable way the same thing. Genetics are Irreplaceable, once lost they can never be recovered in most cases. I have lost a few wild clones in the process of learning slants, but nothing that I cared for more than a second that I lost, some wild oysters, etc.

Good luck with your process.

--------------------
Mycoelf

Sterility is a process that can be likened unto infinity, which is a long walk, the closer to the end you start before beginning, the more achievable  the goal of infinity becomes.  Remember, cleanliness in next to goddessness

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14171293 - 03/23/11 04:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thanks man. I'm guessing you have alot of good music on that external?
Do you have experience with bags.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#14171913 - 03/23/11 06:44 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

tons of music, myco data, etc. Irreplaceable notes and research. Lots of pics of my work.

Yes, bags is all that I do, essentially for everything, IMHO they are the only way to fly unless you are doing something really exotic like cordyceps

--------------------
Mycoelf

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14171943 - 03/23/11 06:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

can you explain your procedure on prepping grains for bags, cause I'm getting into that as well as upgrading my equipment and getting an AA 75X, so I'm trying to educate myself before I transition.
Ya, I would loose my shit if I lost all of my music. I spin digital, and besides my wife and this, it's everything to me.. lucky for me I have a cat so I can grab my laptop and cultures while she makes it out ok.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#14172079 - 03/23/11 07:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I prefer to use both white and red millet, just cause it is cheap and available, white millet I like for G1 because the color makes contams easy to spot. White millet must be simmered + soaked to get the very tough seed hulls to open up, facilitating the myc's entry. I usually simmer to almost a boil and let sit overnight, followed by a severe tap water rinse. I usually mix in a little verm to facilitate H20 balance, then you mix your gypsum and load into your jars/bags.

I favor red millet for sawdust supplementation, you can cold soak over night and the grains swell easily. The water turns red, again a severe rinse in the tap water and then I load my grain into the tops of the bag so it is closer to the steam. Every thing mixes in after inoculation. I triple seal my bags then "spank" the bag on the clean table to ensure a good seal has been achieved.

I have a two part clean room, the second room joining the first and reserved exclusively for culture storage. I also keep blank petri sleeves and gloves, alcohol paper towels etc. This room is lined with shelves and I keep (when I am working) the shelves lined with bags and g1 jars. I find maintaining cultures in a "clean" environment really facilitates my contam rate, which is hovering somewhere around infinity.

Bags are the figggin word. I can pc more media in my 1941 modified, loading six 5lb sawdust bags in a shot. The bottom line in cultivation is the higher the spawn rate at each transfer the faster and more vigorously the myc captures the sub and that always terminates in a spectacular first flush. I think of it like slow moving myco-fireworks, the end always being worth the wait.

may the myc be with you, may it be with us all :dancer:

--------------------
Mycoelf

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14174929 - 03/24/11 10:03 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

right on.. i'm gons get me a 941 75x here in a week, this will def, help my PC'ing tasks, cause my 921 can't handle my work load.
What setting do you set your sealer on?
and do you just hold it down, till the light/heating element goes off and wait an additional 5 seconds? or do you press down in quick rapide successions? not being able to seel proper is keeping me back.

Invisiblemycoelf
Agent Of Chaos
Male User Gallery

#14175941 - 03/24/11 01:48 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have the sealer that stametes sells. I tend to buy from FP on equipment because I trust their opinion on what is good equipment, and have yet to be disappointed. I use a 3.5 setting, and fold my bags so there is no pleat at top straight across, does my seal go, I seal and hold down for a few sec so the weld has time to cool with out being disturbed. Then I do two more usually above the first which is about two inches from the top.

Sealing is another thing that takes practice. I do an inoculation lab on six bags in under 20 min, and that includes cleaning.

Remember to never touch the bag with in 2 inches from the top, if you are going to get a contam it is (probably ) going to come from the wrong touch too close to the top.

--------------------
Mycoelf

Invisiblecyanara
jedi in training
Male

#14177078 - 03/24/11 04:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

ya trying to learn how to handle bags.. especialy since I really want to get into edibles, it's pretty much a must.
My hood messures 18x24 so I can do bags just a little akward.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds