Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineChiLong
More machine elfthan man...

Loc: Twisted, moved to E-Ville
Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada
    #1411834 - 03/26/03 04:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hey all...

I used to read the shroomery a couple years ago and even hung out on the IRC chat quite a lot...

I've been growing for a bit, but no matter the adjustments I make, I have little to no success... and I hate working for months to end up with only barely enough for one trip with my wife.

I recently read on here that two species of active mushrooms grow in Alberta... Panaeolus subbalteatus and Psilocybe semilanceata. I've read a little about each type (and I'm constantly reading more)...

What I want to know is if anyone here has had any luck finding active shrooms in Central Alberta (Specifically in the Red Deer area), and if so, where they looked (Not precise locations, of course... just the sorts of places I can look) and what season/temperatures/conditions would be best to find them here in Alberta...

(Oh... I have tried the search, but obviously it is down right now... I'm currently about 22 pages into the posts, but haven't found anything so far)

Thanks in advance!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada [Re: ChiLong]
    #1412140 - 03/26/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

well i cant say ive found anything in canada seeing as im in texas but i do know a little about each of those species.

pann subbs are found most easily in horse stables. ask if you can look at the place where they dump all their shit and hay when they clean stables. if you go to the faq pages there are pictures of this mushroom. they wont bruise noticeably execpt on the base of the stem where it joins with the mycellium. these arnet that potent tho. no deadly look-a-likes tho for the most part all panaleous are edible not all are active.

p. semilanceata if i remeber correctly those are lib. caps they dont grow down here so all i can really tell you is they grow in the manured soil of cattle pastures. NOT fromt the patty. much more potent that subbs so if you can find these you will be good.

as for reports of findings in your area i havent seen any posted. someone like mj would know if for sure if you can find these species easily or not. good luck

peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineChiLong

Re: Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada [Re: blaze2]
    #1412154 - 03/26/03 06:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I just read through all of the posts in this forum (all 89 pages:P)... heheh... other people asking what they can find here, but no one seems to have gotten any answers :smile:

Hopefully we'll find someone around here who knows :smile: 

Edited by ChiLong (03/26/03 06:12 PM)

Offlinefliped
The Lost One
Male

Loc: Pacific Northwest
Re: Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada [Re: blaze2]
    #1412168 - 03/26/03 06:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Here are the known active mushrooms in your area. Just go to another search engine and run a search on them you should be able to find there habitat and time when they grow.

Amanita muscaria (Ammirati et al., 1985)
Conocybe kuehneriana (Schalwijk-Barendsen)
Gymnopilus luteofolius (Schalwijk-Barendsen)
Gymnopilus sapineus (Schalwijk-Barendsen)
Gymnopilus spectabilis (Schalwijk-Barendsen)
Panaeolus subbalteatus (Schalwijk-Barendsen).

I saw no information saying that p. semilanceata grow in your area but a lot of psilocybe mushrooms are much more widely spread then reported. That area seems like it has the right climate for the mushrooms so just keep reading up on it and look in the right habitat.

OfflineDim
The Embodimentof the Conceptof Fuck

Loc: some terrifying, cold, im...
Re: Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada [Re: fliped]
    #1420274 - 03/31/03 08:05 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I used to pick mushrooms as a kid near a lake 45 min N of Athabasca, so I am not really familiar with Red Deer. I live in Calgary now, mind you, and read the same thing that said there were panaeolus subbalteatus and liberty caps in Alberta. I was really surprised to hear that. I kinda doubt it though, and am especially doubtful of ever finding those species in south-central Alberta (for the most part, it is a poor place to find mushrooms in fields). However, I know that in N alberta, at least, there is an over-abundance of amanitas (fly agarics). They kinda live in marshy forests and are unmistakeable. I know, I know... they aren't as cool as true "shrooms", but they might be fun. I myself will never do them for the reason that we used to use them to kill flies (hence their name).

Sorry to rain on your parade.... but hey, I am certainly no expert. In fact, I really hope you prove me wrong. If you do have some luck, then let us (me) know. There are some nice edibles around these parts too, like morels (I assume they live in Red Deer too). So whatever the outcome, good luck and have fun exploring this more....

--------------------
"Once a nation bases its security on an absolute weapon, such as the atom bomb, it becomes psychologically necessary to believe in an absolute enemy." - P.M.S. Blackett

OfflineChiLong

Re: Hunting in Central Alberta, Canada [Re: Dim]
    #1420781 - 04/01/03 01:54 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks for the reply...

I'm gonna check it out in some areas around here... there's a place that has a lot of horses and bales of hay right on the edge of town here... I'll give it a look come spring, and another few in the fall...

All else fails, I'm just gonna try to find a local source... had one a long time ago, but that guy is long since gone.

Ah well...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification