Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

convincing literature
    #1411477 - 03/26/03 01:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

hey all,
i have been browsing, looking for a pice of writing that owuld present plainly the positive, and negative effects of magic mushroom consumption.

there is aperson in my life, who had untill this point been very skeptical and recently there has been an event that may have opened her eyes a bit. she seemd to be accepting, and willing to read/learn.

the purpose of me asking you, is that i would like an objective suggestion.
an informative, documented, and logical piece would be greatly appreciated.

hank you very much for your time.

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy.
-Albert Einstein

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Mad Robot

Re: convincing literature [Re: mike]
    #1413510 - 03/27/03 08:10 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

i have been browsing, looking for a pice of writing that owuld present plainly the positive, and negative effects of magic mushroom consumption.

I doesn't get better than Alan Watts:

"Finally, there are two specific objections to use of psychedelic drugs. First, use of these drugs may be dangerous. However, every worth-while exploration is dangerous-climbing mountains, testing aircraft, rocketing into outer space, skin diving, or collecting botanical specimens in jungles. But if you value knowledge and the actual delight of exploration more than mere duration of uneventful life, you are willing to take the risks. It is not really healthy for monks to practice fasting, and it was hardly hygienic for Jesus to get himself crucified, but these are risks taken in the course of spiritual adventures. Today the adventurous young are taking risks in exploring the psyche, testing their mettle at the task just as, in times past, they have tested it?more violently?in hunting, dueling, hot-rod racing, and playing football. What they need is not prohibitions and policemen, but the most intelligent encouragement and advice that can be found.
Second, drug use may be criticized as an escape from reality. However, this criticism assumes unjustly that the mystical experiences themselves are escapist or unreal. LSD, in particular, is by no means a soft and cushy escape from reality. It can very easily be an experience in which you have to test your soul against all the devils in hell. For me, it has been at times an experience in which I was at once completely lost in the corridors of the mind and yet relating that very lostness to the exact order of logic and language, simultaneously very mad and very sane. But beyond these occasional lost and insane episodes, there are the experiences of the world as a system of total harmony and glory, and the discipline of relating these to the order of logic and language must somehow explain how what William Blake called that "energy which is eternal delight" can consist with the misery and suffering of everyday life."

The full article is here. If you need something else, it would be helpful if you were a bit more specific, for example, what are her interests (psychology, history, spirituality)? Does she favor a particular religion? There's a lot of stuff on mushrooms out there, covering virtually every point of view.

But it doesn't get any better than Alan Watts, of course.

Edited by Nomad (03/27/03 08:12 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology