Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

Loc: South Flordia
**** Completed**** :3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo
    #1410805 - 03/26/03 08:42 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

~~~Due to my limited availability of internet access Pictures of my casing will be added tomorrow~~~

After two barely successful attempts at growing i decided to wait until i moved into my new home to try again. I also wanted to try something experimental. so while i waited for the move i had plenty of time to think and read posts here on the shroomery. I read a post asking about using rabbit poo just as horse or cow poo is used. The post didnt really receive good answers and i figured that was due to the fact that no one had tried it before. This post is about my attempt at using rabbit poo.

Experimental Grow with coir/rabbit poo casing.

Substrate consists of: ingredients for Alien?s Substrate w/ addition popcorn.
3.5 oz of popcorn (extra butter) rinsed and soaked in water for 2 weeks
Approximately 1 cup of each of the following:
Quinoa
organic brown rice, coarsely ground in a blender.
millet in husk
organic rye berries
flax seed
vermiculate

other materials:
6 1/2-pint canning jars with lids
Pressure cooker

All I had as far as popcorn was a package of microwave popcorn, so I washed all the buttery stuff off the corn and put it in sauce pan with water and boiled it for 20 minutes. Then placed it in a jar with a tight lid for two weeks. After two weeks the water was a bit slimey so I drained the corn then boiled it with some fresh water for another 20 minutes, after 20 minutes the quinoa, brown rice, millet, rye berries, flax seed and vermiculate were added to the boiling corn and allowed to boil for another 20 minutes. The excess water was drain and then a little more vermiculate was added to acquired the right water content. (Unfortunately the jars were a bit too dry but it didn?t compromise colonization, just slowed it down a bit.) the substrate was added to the jars and PC?ed for 30 minutes @ 15psi. An excess of substrate was placed in a gladware sandwich sized container and microwave for 8 minutes on high in a 1600 watt microwave (needless to say some one the substrate started to burn but not too badly).

Once cooled the jars and the gladware container were inoculated with an old spore syringe of Plantasia Mystery. About 1/2cc per jar and 1cc in the gladware container.

The jars were allowed to colonize in a dark place. colonization was a slow process but the gladware container finished first (2 weeks before the jars) followed by the jars.

While waiting for the jars to colonize I had time to acquire the necessary materials for my casing and such. Luckily I had plenty of rabbits at one time and was still in contact with who I gave them away to. So I made a visit and asked that they set it out to dry when they cleaned the cages instead of throwing everything away, and they did. I collected my dried rabbit poo when it was time and then I sterilized it in an oven @ 200 degrees for 45 minutes with some soaked coir and extra water.

When I began to case the substrate in the gladware I noticed that some green mold colonized what the mycelium hadn?t colonized. There was a clear definitive line between the mycelium and the green mold. So I cut out the green and proceeded to case with the mixture of coco coir and rabbit poo. once cased i covered the container and allowed it to inncubate in darkness.

The layer of coir and rabbit poo colonized rapidly and within 2 or 3 days I decided it was time to start fruiting. It has been fruiting for about a week now and though it is growing slowly I have a very even pin set with a massive amount of pins. At least massive compaired to any other results i have had.

The other jars have also been cased but with black kow manure and I am still waiting for them to pin.

so in conclusion thus far my opinion on using rabbit poo is that it can be done BUT Please keep in mind this is not a complete log of my grow i am still awaiting the finish of my first flush.

thanks for reading. Feel free to ask any questions but be patient for responses as i have limited access to the internet at the moment.

For anyone who is interested here is the pic i promised it was taken on 3-27-03
at about 8:00am (sorry if its not of great quality i am just becomming acquainted with this digi cam)...

i also appologize in case i did not follow forum guidelines for posting this pic... the picture uploading link wasnt working properly so i had to upload to another page and link to it so im unsure of the size and stuff. I also had a hell of a time getting to the site to begin with but anyways.

~UPDATE~ (even tho no one really seems interested)

well after the first and second flushes (first flush being the best flush i have had in my three attempts at cultivation of this fungi i have a total of 7gs dried all plantasia mystery from *** {vendor name withheld for safety sake pm me for info} out of the entire spore syringe i believe i harvested a total of 10gs in total *read below for more info) seems like a kinda poor yeild to me but this is just a third try and with an experimental substrate at that.

tho i am into my third flush i am ready to call this a completed grow log i can post some pic of the grow chamber for more detail...however i wont label it as complete until i test them out for potency and such

i found that a flat style cake one not high but flat and big are best to use b/c larger more bowl-like containers i used seemed to contaminate no matter what the sterility was like. and it wasnt the poo either b.c i kept a control bag of poo after casing all my cakes and it is still free of contaminates sitting contently under a sink waitn for my next grow (of course ill re-pasturize/sterilize it) so it was either a contaminate in the cakes or on the container... however the casing that flushed the most the one cased with poo is the one thatcontaminated before i cased didnt contaminate after casing ... ~See above for details~ so another reason for contamination could be container size added the ratio of poo to cake. the ratio was much larger in the bigger containers..

so in conclusion i must say that rabbit poo if sterilized correctly is a very ideal substrate to use in bulk casing methods. the casing colonizes rather quickly given that you pay close attention to water content...

~Seraph~

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

Edited by Seraph (05/19/03 06:43 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

Re: 3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo (pic added) [Re: Seraph]
    #1415985 - 03/28/03 04:48 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
updated with pic

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

#1459718 - 04/15/03 10:05 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

here is what the first flush off of this looked like around harvest. it dried out to about 5.1g Havent eaten them yet but once i do ill post on how the trip was.

the casing is now on its second flush.. but i dont have any pictures just yet.

~

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

#1495231 - 04/26/03 05:14 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Updated above

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

Offlinenomez_
The Rev.

Loc: Somewhere over the Pacifi...
    #1495741 - 04/26/03 01:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

How many cakes did you use in that casing? Why did you use all those different substrate ingredients? Im no expert but it would seem to me to be a bit excessive. Again, Im no expert.

--------------------
--------------------------
Just a Smart Monkey

OfflinePsilocybeTrybe
Azurepower

Loc: PDX
Re: 3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo (pic added) [Re: nomez_]
    #1496597 - 04/26/03 08:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

That looks a lot like cob-web mold.

Rabbit shit, nice innovation?

--------------------
EQ's are pointy!

Offlinef8L
Triumph

Re: 3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo (pic added) [Re: PsilocybeTrybe]
    #1496699 - 04/26/03 10:05 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

damn, that is NOT a healthy casing

OfflinesinoptiK
TranceAddict

Loc: USA
Re: 3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo (pic added) [Re: f8L]
    #1496718 - 04/26/03 10:13 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hehe, definitely not happy casing. try flatcakes, your first flush yield will jump to around 15g dry if not more!!!

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

Re: 3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo (pic added) [Re: sinoptiK]
    #1509950 - 05/01/03 02:37 AM (14 years, 27 days ago)

well that was a flat cake sorta.. it was just extra substrate i had left over and decided to throw into a plastic sandwich container... when ready i cased with rabbit poo and perlite and a lil verm. the cake was about 5 x 5 and 1.5in thick i added about 1.5 in of casing mix... so it wasnt too thick which is was i thought to be the cause of small fruits..

as far as the casing not being happy it is the only one that really flushed all the other cakes made with black cow manure (crap! imo) contaminated.... i put em out side and one got all mushy cuz i overwatered but produced one fruit
the other i am still waiting on.

perhaps the picture is a lil off... i did have to adjust the brightness and stuff in photo shop.

it might be a lil overlaid in the pic.. the substrate is the one listed above:
Substrate consists of: ingredients for Alien?s Substrate w/ addition popcorn.
--3.5 oz of popcorn (extra butter) rinsed and soaked in water for 2 weeks
Approximately 1 cup of each of the following:
Quinoa
organic brown rice, coarsely ground in a blender.
millet in husk
organic rye berries
flax seed
vermiculate

i didnt notice any sign of contamination except for once before casing and once in a small spot after casing... i removed all spots and about 1/4 -1/2 in of uncontaminated substrate just to be sure i got all of it.. after that i havent noticed any thing but heathly mycelum. but i am just a beginner at all this so my untrained eye could be inaccurate - however i can usually tell if something will contaminate by watching how it colonized and how it reacts to its casing.... guess my contaminating jars are good for something....

in a way i think it might have more to do with the spores... they were an unmarked batch of P.C. Plantasia mystery from THE (hope its okay to post that if not will a mod be so kind as to edit it out) I know he has a replacement plan but seeing as they did produce just poorly i dont know if it will apply. ill email him and ask tho it cant hurt anything.
Has any one else experienced poor fruiting p.c.PM in anun# syringe. from the same vendor?

~SeRa~

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

OfflineSeraph
ShroomiN'SeraphiM
Female

#1560745 - 05/19/03 06:41 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

so despite the look of this casing it produced rather potent mushrooms here is the link to my trip report. Trip Report

the yeild i got from this casing was enough for 3 level 3 trips. (3 people ate 2g each. 1 gram was saved for a later time)

--------------------
(\(\
( -.-)
o_(")(")

~nicole

Offlinepsychopsilocyber
[_381_] gnemo

Loc: glyphtown
Re: **** Completed**** :3rd Grow Cased with coir/rabbit poo [Re: Seraph]
    #1563199 - 05/20/03 04:21 PM (14 years, 8 days ago)

I dont think that's cobweb, if it was I dont think the shrooms would be growing much or at all. Usually the presence of cobweb mold means the mycelium isnt doing so great. And if the mycelium has to avert its energy toward fighting off contams it wont have much energy to fruit.

--------------------
Eco friendly extraction is the only way to go for Dmt, mescaline, and iboga

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs