Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: Music is the key (+ a link to my online shroom EP) [Re: Roger_irrelevant]
    #1409940 - 03/25/03 08:07 PM (21 years, 8 days ago)

I haven't made anything all that good so far..

Here's my coolest:
http://strumpling.hallucinaut.com/audio/01-13-2003/SongEdit-90.mp3

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Loc: London
    #1410111 - 03/25/03 11:35 PM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Whoops sorry bout hijacking your thread Rob  :blush:

Hey no problem it is a forum and not a pedestal after all! there is a shroomery cd thread though, found  here  where people have been discussing the possibility of a compilation.

Tried a version of SX off kazaa and it didn't work so I dind't have much choice really. but it sounds cool, and I will def. try again!

--------------------
-{ divined from the mind }--

My music

Edited by Rob_K (03/25/03 11:38 PM)

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Strumpling's tune [Re: Strumpling]
    #1410120 - 03/25/03 11:41 PM (21 years, 8 days ago)

that tune's so dark! it's great though.. I like the way you've messed around with the samples. What software did you use to make that? The bit at the end reminded me of the noise when you pick up coins in super mario bros !

--------------------

My music

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Strumpling's tune [Re: Rob_K]
    #1410539 - 03/26/03 05:04 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

None of those are samples, its all made 100% in cubase :smile:

heh and the mario sounds I just re-created and threw in there because hey if my song's gunna sound cheesy and video-gamey, I might as well overkill it by adding those :wink:

thx for the props man :smile: :smile:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Re: Strumpling's tune [Re: Strumpling]
    #1410884 - 03/26/03 07:13 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

definite computer game influence. must've been pretty tough making that sort of complexity with midi events. What sound module is it going through or is it just your soundcard? The bits where there are extremely rapid repetitions are usually easier to make when you're dealing with samples cos you can just cut it to pieces and arrange it till it sounds good, whereas with midi you have to be really careful, and I would've thought it would take a lot longer. respect for doing that in cubase!

--------------------

My music

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1411069 - 03/26/03 08:18 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

heh yeah it DOES take a lot longer :smile:

I like making it all straight from MIDI because I have more freedom "per note." and I can adjust things up to 128th notes, which kicks major ass :smile: Thx for the props Rob - your stuff is highly-advanced.

Oh and yeah its going through my soundcard, the Midiman Audiophile "Delta"

--------------------

Offlinemrpants
jedi

Re: Music is the key (+ a link to my online shroom EP) [Re: Rob_K]
    #1411246 - 03/26/03 09:47 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Quote:

Korg Triton
Acid Pro 4
Cubase VST 6
Soundforge 6
"Vintage" electroacoustic guitar
Shure SM58 mic (for vocals and guitars)

I bloody knew it was a Triton!  I could just tell  :laugh:

and that sm58 sounds nice man, some serious eqing done on it?

Nice one.

OfflineMetaMountain
New hand

Loc: FromSoFarAwayYouWontBelie...
    #1411253 - 03/26/03 09:50 AM (21 years, 7 days ago)

I Love your music Rob k....its so positively uplifting...very cool....

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Re: Music is the key (+ a link to my online shroom EP) [Re: mrpants]
    #1411567 - 03/26/03 12:28 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

not all that much equing really.. I had to boost the treble a bit cos I find the 58 tends to lose some of that. I find adding a bit of reveb can mask a lower quality mic when you use it in moderation.  Also, the guitar on "Translucide" has an added richness to it cos I recorded it with both Mic and Direct In, panned the two hard left and hard right and then mixed them separately which gave me loads more control over the final sound. Doing that lets you get a really warm sound if you're willing to spend the time fiddling with it. Much easier than buying a ?300+ condenser!

Glad you liked it anyway  :smile:

by the way,  If anyone can't tell what the "Air" documentary sample says at 5:20 on "Phases of Angels", the guy's saying; "the bass? It was like.. mmm.. a beautiful carpet."  That appealed to me for some reason..

--------------------

My music

Edited by Rob_K (03/26/03 12:48 PM)

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#1411867 - 03/26/03 02:35 PM (21 years, 7 days ago)

Strumpling I was listening to your tune and it kind of made me visualise some kind of evil gnome creating mischief and scuttling about the place. I actually can't figure out how you've done some of that stuff which is fairly unusual for me.. any chance you could email me the original cubase file? Did you play it in with a keyboard or make it note by note in cubase? Promise I won't steal your ideas, I'm just curious!

happyronbin@yahoo.com

cheers mate

--------------------

My music

Edited by Rob_K (03/26/03 02:43 PM)

OfflineRoger_irrelevant
War's boring,change thechannel!

#1413513 - 03/27/03 06:10 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Ok I'm checking out Elysian dream right now and its quite nice.

At around 3:42 you break to a different soundscape with with washing pad/strings and I'm really into this section. I feel the drums that you have been using throughout sound best at this point so mabye a change of drums before would help the progression of the track. But I think this piece is a nice arrangement.

--------------------
We are the music makers, We are the dreamers of dreams...

OfflineRoger_irrelevant

#1413550 - 03/27/03 06:20 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Strumpling that tune is as crazy as your name!!

What the hell is a strumpling anyway?

I love those twisty synth sounds. Very nice, very cheesy/video game like but somehow it works. Let me remix please I wanna funk the drums up some :smile:   

--------------------

OfflineRoger_irrelevant

#1413616 - 03/27/03 06:44 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Tru love doesn't wait...Beautiful. Love it. The way you've fx'd sample (which I'm struggling to recognise) fits so well with the rest of the music, a straight up voice sample wouldn't have had the same affect. 7:27 it didn't even feel that long a true testament to a great track.

--------------------

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#1414297 - 03/27/03 11:14 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

The sample's basically just time stretched with a bit of reverb but it does give a really nice sort of breathy effect. Shpongled use the idea to much better effect on thier track "My Head Feels Like A Frisbee"..I don't know how the fuck they did that but it's awesome! My sample's taken from the very last lines of the film "Eyes Wide Shut." I don't especially like the film but i think it was a good line to use!

As for the drums in Elysian dream, they do kind of progress cos on the 3:42 bit they come in with an added kick drum on all 4 beats of the bar which then carries on into the reprise of the original idea. It's possible you're hearing it as better because it introduces that thumping kick drum? I do understand where you're coming from though..

This ep was the first example of complete tunes that I have ever made with my Triton and they were written in the order in which they appear. You can probably notice the complexity increase as it goes on. I'm going to produce an album over the summer which should hopefully improve on everything I've done so far. So I'll bear you constructive critisisms in mind..

--------------------

My music

Edited by Rob_K (03/27/03 12:59 PM)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
    #1414345 - 03/27/03 11:36 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

I can send you a copy of the song without percussion if you want to do some drums?

Thx for the props :smile:

There is no such thing as a strumpling - I extrapolated the word from the word Strumpet, which is an English word for prostitute.. I made up a word so that it would never be taken online when I sign up for various things.

And Rob.... hmm I can't really send you the whole thing as one file.. my processor can't handle so many synths going at once so I had to break this project into 6 separate things and then mix them down separately into audio, then combine them in ANOTHER project! heh its a big pain in the ass.. If there are things in particular that you were wondering about I can isolate them onto a cubase file for you..  Oh and you had asked if I play it on the keyboard... well I toy around on the keyboard and find out what sounds cool but then I carefully click-click-click EVERY NOTE into place, precisely where its supposed to go :smile: lol you pictured a gnome that really kicks ass :smile: :smile: My stuff in the future should be much more visual - I'm just gettin started :wink:

-=- Matt/Strumpling -=-
PM me, Roger, if you want a copy without percussion or something man :smile:

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (03/27/03 11:45 AM)

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#1414346 - 03/27/03 11:37 AM (21 years, 6 days ago)

By the way, does anyone plan to trip to my tunes? It'd be an honour to know that someone was using it in that way, so if you do it please let me know! I haven't even tripped to it yet and won't get the chance for a good couple of months. So frustrating!

--------------------

My music

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

#1414493 - 03/27/03 12:51 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah I can imagine that being a bit instensive on the poor old sound card.. OK:

0:32-0:36  The bit where the lead sound appears to suddenly go a bit mental and shoot up about 3 octaves

0.42-0.45 (more clear example of the above)

1.00 - 1.04  the weird bleeping

2.03- 2.05  wah wah effect in the bass. how do you do that in cubase? is it a vst plugin or a weird instrument built into the soundcard? I'm not famiiar with the Midiman Audiophile Delta

Generally any track that has loads of mental bleeping all over the place! I'd be interested to see what that looks like in midi. Also, how long did that take you? None of my tunes took much longer than about 8-12 hours each (spread over a couple of days), and I'm not saying that's a good thing..  Really wish I had more time to make music  :frown: 

--------------------

My music

Offlinechronny
journeyman
    #1414586 - 03/27/03 01:43 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

damn rob....this stuff is what i have been looking for....FOR SO LONG...it just makes me smile and just move...i listened to this last nite on my first mushroom trip since this past season and all i can say is IM HOOKED. send anything new to ZPDana5@aol.com or im me on AIM: cubies420....bro this shit is TIGHT..

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Re: Music is the key (+ a link to my online shroom EP) [Re: chronny]
    #1415347 - 03/27/03 06:55 PM (21 years, 6 days ago)

^^There^you^have^it,^Rob! Looks like you've infected 'im :smile:

"The bit where the lead sound appears to suddenly go a bit mental and shoot up about 3 octaves"
That's just very detailed "paintings" of sound in 128th/64th notes.... heh clicked every piece of those sounds in there..

"the weird bleeping"
More detailed stuff, with delays

"wah wah effect in the bass"
Heh damn.. Well its this vst instrument called "tickyclav" I think (I'll check in a sec) but you have to be very careful with it - save very often, because it just crashes cubase sx (I didn't believe it when somebody told me either lol check it out) right in the middle of doing stuff.. save often - k lemmie find a link to it (Ctrl+N):

http://bigtick.pastnotecut.org/index.php?action=PROD&pcode=120

iEl F?n!

--------------------

Edited by Strumpling (03/27/03 06:57 PM)

OfflineRob_K
s p a c e d

Re: Music is the key (+ a link to my online shroom EP) [Re: Strumpling]
    #1415884 - 03/28/03 10:09 AM (21 years, 5 days ago)

Thanks Chronny glad you liked it! Nothing else ready to be heard yet, but a new album, "Tales From Beyond The Horizon," in the pipeline for around July. Should be pretty much more of the same though I hope to get a little more experimental with the freedom afforded by a full length album.

Actually, anyone reading this can help me out.. what sounds better to you:

Tales From Beyond The Horizon
or
Tales From Behind The Horizon

Ok so there's not masses of difference but I can't make up my mind! "behind" has a more mystical feel to it, but "beyond" rolls off the tongue

Strumpling, thanks for the info- I know what you're talking about but I can't really visualise it. pretty complex!

--------------------

My music

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom