Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Silicone Injection Ports
    #14104773 - 03/11/11 04:27 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I just read about silicone injection ports. I have a ton of silicone here. Question is; will other holes have to b drilled 4 GE.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNew HooN
Showing the way
Male User Gallery

Loc: MI Flag
Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: mabachko]
    #14104785 - 03/11/11 04:30 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes

--------------------
Ride it like u can fix it.....  CR 500R

Invisiblebiologys
Mycologist in Trainning
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: New HooN]
    #14104792 - 03/11/11 04:31 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

yes, i drill 1 hole for silicone injection port, and 1 a bit bigger for filter GE

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: New HooN]
    #14104796 - 03/11/11 04:32 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

No real benifit then.

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14104815 - 03/11/11 04:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Its definitely a benefit. With injection ports and filters you can make out of paint suit tyvek($5 for one suit which will last years) you will be easily able to inoculate in open air conditions and store your jars with little worry of contams.

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: Wise Toad]
    #14104836 - 03/11/11 04:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Got TYvek, But was thinking it would b easier to drill 1 hole for poly fill filter. 1 hole 4 GE & knocking up.

OfflineAdam553
workin' on it...
Male

Loc: United States, Connecticu...
    #14104841 - 03/11/11 04:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

would be easier, but go tyvek, personally i think poly fill is a way for contaminants to more easily get in, but thats just my personal opinion, up to you. IME though the longer, and harder way usually produces a better product in the end.

--------------------
The List: Caffeine, Nicotine, Morphine, Codine, Dilaudid, Amphetamine, Psilocybin, LSA, Alcohol, Salvia Divinorum, Nitrous

To Do List: Mescaline, DMT, LSD, MAOI, Yopo, MDA

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: Adam553]
    #14104891 - 03/11/11 04:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What can I say, I'm a lazy bastard. Drilling 1 hole compared to 4 is faster. Thought the silicone would save a few minutes. But I do beleive that a good product comes from investment of time & work. Noob so I'm not convinced about the Tyvek. Seems like it is air tight, but will try after 1st grow. Jars are about 90% colonized & looking good. Drilled 2 holes & knocked up in GB, then placed masking tape over them. At approx. 20%, poked hole in tape of 1 of the knock holes, at 80%, poked hole in the other knock hole. We'll See

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14104960 - 03/11/11 05:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Tyvek is breathable on a small level, it provides gas exchange which is what the mycelium needs so that it doesn't stall from CO2 buildup. I use 2 tyvek filters on most of my jars, one on top of the 1/4" hole and one on the bottom of it. I have tested it versus one layer of tyvek and found them to colonize at the same speed. Tyvek neatly stays in place once it is secured by silicone. With the two filters I don't have to worry about storing water in the jars as it cant make both wet. I would assume tyvek is a more efficient filter than polyfill given polyfill is used for Fresh Air Exchange on monotubs. If you want some serious filtration buy some synthetic filter disks

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

#14105019 - 03/11/11 05:25 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Looked at filter disk & I blew my wad buying PC, Rye, Gypsum,etc.. I tried blowing thru Tyvek & it seemed like I couldn't, Probly cause old & smoker. I did notice on the bag it said"allows in exchange" or something to that effect. I plan experimenting for a while, but any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks

InvisibleWise Toad
 User Gallery

#14105245 - 03/11/11 06:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Don't worry, I just tried blowing though mine and couldn't. I seem to be seeing better colonization time since I switched from envelope tyvek to paint suit tyvek. Don't worry about buying synthetic filter disks all you need is the tyvek, Iv had these tyvek lids for a while and they are still working.

self healing lid tek
paint suits on amazon

About the self healing lids, once you have one of these injection ports you can simply flame your needle(do you have an alcohol lamp or a butane torch?) and either inject it straight through the injection port (after swabbing the injection port with alcohol of course) or wrap the needle in an alcohol soaked paper towel right after you flame it and use that for 2-3 jars then flame again and re wrap with alcohol soaked paper towel. What kind of PC are you using and how much do you know about proper sterilization procedures. Do you have your grain prep down? Finally, whats your grow plan: casings, monotub, or something else?

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

#14105418 - 03/11/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I have a Burpee PC, guessing it's 1940 or so. Gauge works, with a thump to it every now & then. I baby sit it for 90 minutes. Release valve works. I live in the sticks & didn't have Tyvek so I read somewhere that masking tape would work & u no us noob's, we just want to get started. Just bought an alcohol lamp, on its way here. But last night I posted, "what kind of alcohol goes in it". Got that all ready when it arrives. I ordered 4 1lb bags of Rye spawn on Ebay & knocked up 2 of them, the other 2 are in the fridge. Plus I knocked up 5 & 1/2 1/2 pints. The 1/4 pint is almost ready to fruit PF Tek. Everything is looking good, but I know that something is going to kick me in the nuts. I've taken every precaution I can and all is well at this point.
I made the mistake of flaming my needle in the GB for the 2nd knock up. The first knock up went great, but when I went to flame the needle the 2nd time I knew that the GB was full of fumes, so I had to wait a while & All is well. Thats called living, learning & surviving. Had a big post about it as what not to do.
Will try the Tyvek next round,  but I gota say masking tape is working good so far.
Got my bag of Rye yesterday so thats in the plan tonight, got some cleaned & soaking. I think I'm gonna run out of FC'c
For casing; will be 10 parts of verm, peat, 1 part calcium carbonate & 1 part gypsum.
Just got gypsum today.
Anybody that says it's cheap to get into this hobby is full of crap, but the challenge is awesome.
Can't wait to see the first results.

Offlineesquaredx
 User Gallery

Loc: Dutch Country
Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: Adam553]
    #14105420 - 03/11/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Adam553 said:
would be easier, but go tyvek, personally i think poly fill is a way for contaminants to more easily get in, but thats just my personal opinion, up to you. IME though the longer, and harder way usually produces a better product in the end.

Drill your hole.
Put a nice glob of silicone in the hole for an injection hole.
Drill a bigger hole.
And stuff with some polyfil.
:thumbup:

Tyvek sucks.

--------------------

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: esquaredx]
    #14105440 - 03/11/11 06:55 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I know everyone has there preference & I am skeptical of Tyvek, but I am going to try it. I was just hoping that silicone would seal up after knocking up but allow GE. So much for hoping. In my eyes, it's just another step.

Offlineesquaredx
 User Gallery

#14105477 - 03/11/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mabachko said:
I know everyone has there preference & I am skeptical of Tyvek, but I am going to try it. I was just hoping that silicone would seal up after knocking up but allow GE. So much for hoping. In my eyes, it's just another step.

I am kinda confused here.
The silicon will seal up after you shoot up your jar.
The tyvek or polyfil is for GE.
there is no "other step"

--------------------

Invisibleabltsandwich
JFK = Jelly Donut
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dildoville Flag
    #14105480 - 03/11/11 07:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10628004

Really, there isn't any more to it.  At all.

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: esquaredx]
    #14105489 - 03/11/11 07:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Yea I wrote so much I prob got it mixed together. I was hoping that the silicone ports would close after knocking up but b pliable enough to open up 4 GE.

Offlineesquaredx
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: abltsandwich]
    #14105494 - 03/11/11 07:10 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

abltsandwich said:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10628004

Really, there isn't any more to it.  At all.

Follow that and stop worrying.

--------------------

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #14105495 - 03/11/11 07:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Inoculating though a poly-fil gas exchange filter opens a vector for contaminates due to the fact that your inoculant solution will moisten the sterilized filter, allowing for contaminates to be wicked in through the moistened poly-fil.

For grain jar lids using poly-fil and silicone, on the tops of the lids, construct 2 separate openings.  One for a gas exchange port and another for an injection port.  Install poly-fil in one hole.  Cover the other hole with a dime sized or smaller glob of silicone.

For gas exchange ports, the more amount of smaller holes, the better.  Several small holes over one large hole for gas exchange, allows for a better flow of gas-exchange.  When using more than one hole for gas exchange is when tyvek or better yet, synthetic filter disks'll need to be used as a filter disk material over poly-fil.  Medical grade tyvek can be PC'ed over and over again.  Painter's cover-all tyvek, due to the intense heat of the PC'll close it's pores every other 2 times through the PC.  Adhere painter's cover-all tyvek over gas exchange hole or holes with micropore tape, doubled up, for ease or replacement.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinemabachko
Just Strange
 User Gallery

Re: Silicone Injection Ports [Re: hamloaf]
    #14105582 - 03/11/11 07:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Although this thread was opened 4 silicone, I gotta say that masking tape is working well 4 me so far, although I have no product yet.
I made a GB out of an $8.00 68 qrt dollar special, put 2 holes in it, for arms. Cut a hole in  the top & covered the opening with surand wrap & duct tape. When I was ready 2 knock up I sprayed GB with Lysol & closed top. Waited a few min. Stuck my pieces of masking tape to the sides of the GB & had eveerything I needed in the GB and sprayed again. Closed up GB & waited a while & then started to knock up. As I knocked up I placed the tape over the holes. (I did notice that the tape didnt really want to stick but it did a good engh job.. Got everything done,,Stuck the jars & bags in a box & they are incubatating.
With the jars, at approx. 20% I poked a small hole in one of the 2 hole for GE. At 80% I poked a small hole in the tape of the 2nd knock up hole, and all is going well as of right now.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag