Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offline_the_searcher_
Stranger
 User Gallery

Rhizomorphic myco goes tomentose on agar...why?
    #14095493 - 03/10/11 12:44 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Howdy folks,

I know there's a search function and I haven't found an exact answer to my question in an hours worth of searching, despite reading much that was close.

I'm germinating cube spores on sterilized cardboard, which grows out & sections.  I'm transferring the rhizomorphic sectors out onto peroxide-treated (at a lower concentration than was recommended in the Rush Wayne peroxide tek) Potato Dextrose Agar. 

These rhizomorphic sectors all survived, but went tomentose as soon as they took hold of the agar, and now they're sweating that clear / yellowish 'mushroom piss' metabolites.

What would cause this?  Potential culprits are too high a peroxide concentration (which seems unlikely), too nutritive of an agar mix (though it's not enriched any more than the stock Everything Mushrooms mix), hard water, or...?

Anyone else have experience with this?  If the growth went from Rhizomorphic to tomentose, does that mean the genetics have changed, and by extension, that these wouldn't likely be good candidates for growing out to fruiting?

Thanks!

TS / OS

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Rhizomorphic myco goes tomentose on agar...why? [Re: _the_searcher_]
    #14095608 - 03/10/11 01:07 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Mycelium will change states back and forth.  A major cause is the nutritive base of the media.  Cardboard is probably the poorest media available, thus the mycelium goes rhizomorphic as it spreads.  A more nutritious substrate such as PDA is likely to cause the mycelium to revert to a more cottony appearance.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds