Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

ID Request revisited (pictures)
    #1408220 - 03/25/03 08:26 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I found this mushroom approx. 3 months ago, posted the picture, but never quite got a positive ID. I was just looking through some of my pictures, and found it, still un sure of what it could be.

I thought at first glace that it was Lepiota procera, the parasol mushroom, but, looking at pictures, I have decided that it is NOT!

Ive decided that it is most likely an Agracius.

Anyways here we go with the discription:

Habitat: Found in the coastal mountains of Northern California, growing in sandy soil under a mixture of Oak and Manzanita...also some scrubby brush. I believe it was growing from the humus of Oak however.

Cap: 10-12 cm, white with radiating brown fibrils. Surface dry, smooth, margin smooth.

Stalk: 2 cm thick, hollow, somewhat shaggy. Membranous veil. Base equal.

Gills: Close, pinkish grey (see picture)

Man, I can't think of anything else... I never got a sporeprint either, so that might be a problem. Im posting this mainly to see if anyone is familiar with this species.

Here are the pictures... CLICK TO ENLARGE :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: ID Request revisited (pictures) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1408788 - 03/25/03 11:40 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The best match I can find is Agaricus subrutilescens. That species has a purple-brown cap and yours is white, but both are conspicuously fibrillose. But compare the appearance of the partial veil and stem below the veil - yours is pretty unusual, and this species is the best (only close) match I've found.

Let's see if anybody else can come up with a match.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: ID Request revisited (pictures) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1408850 - 03/25/03 12:03 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Agaricus arvensis?

Pink gills in the young turning to dark brown with age.

mj

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: ID Request revisited (pictures) [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1408920 - 03/25/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Wow...

ToxicMan, you definetly got it. I checked around all the websites which had Agaricus subrutilescens pictured, and most of them looked very similar. The gill structure is extremely similar, and so is the veil and stem.

I think the cap fades as it gets older. THe coloration of the cap I think is more purple when younger. My specimen was somewhat older I believe.

So it was edible. It smelled really good. I was almost going to give it a taste, but decided not to. It was weird, but the second I found it, I thought to myself... This is an edible mushroom...strange.

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: ID Request revisited (pictures) [Re: angryshroom]
    #1408995 - 03/25/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Those are some beautiful close-ups!  :laugh:

Nice ID job, ToxicMan!

-RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder