Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezippaz
Stranger
Black cow store bought???
    #1408131 - 03/25/03 09:49 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Black Cow 100% organic no smell .......
Any info or feedback

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Black cow store bought??? [Re: zippaz]
    #1408166 - 03/25/03 10:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

if it's organic you're fine.

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Black cow store bought??? [Re: the spiral]
    #1408225 - 03/25/03 10:27 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It sucks. If you want to buy, get mycotapro. If you insist on getting it from a nursery, very limited results can be gotten from Scott's 3 in 1. Other than that, store bought is pretty damn worthless.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
Re: Black cow store bought??? [Re: mycofile]
    #1408459 - 03/25/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Are you saying that the cows that shit in fields collected for selling at stores are some how different that the cows that shit in feilds collected by your average smoe mycologist?

Offlinethe spiral
Neuroscientist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Black cow store bought??? [Re: mycofile]
    #1409798 - 03/25/03 08:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

It sucks. If you want to buy, get mycotapro. If you insist on getting it from a nursery, very limited results can be gotten from Scott's 3 in 1. Other than that, store bought is pretty damn worthless.

this is not true. store bought manure can definately be perfectly fine. you do run a risk of it not working, due to fungicides that may have been added - which means switch brands. but if it's organic then you should have no problems at all.

not everybody really has the time to go find and dry manure from a field...

--------------------

"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Black cow store bought??? [Re: the spiral]
    #1426551 - 04/03/03 04:46 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Are you saying that the cows that shit in fields collected for selling at stores are some how different that the cows that shit in feilds collected by your average smoe mycologist?

no, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that the product sold as manure at nurseries is very different from what you would collect in a field. If you've ever seen the two, you know there is a lot of difference. Usually it's the fact that manure usually has been composted. To a commercial operation, this is far different from the composting a mycologist would do, and leaves the "manure" (in this case really compost) much less productive than real manure. Often in this composting process, the manure is composted with other organic material such as leaves, bark and general debris. The result is a dirt which has some nutritional value to plants, but little to fungi since bacteria, actinomycetes, and weed fungi have used most of the nutrients in the composting process. This is why a cultivator's compost is an unfinished compost, looking more like the raw materials used than dirt.

Quote:

this is not true. store bought manure can definately be perfectly fine. you do run a risk of it not working, due to fungicides that may have been added - which means switch brands. but if it's organic then you should have no problems at all.

I've used several brands of organic manure to little result. Sure, I've gotten a few kinds to fruit, but to say it's perfectly fine, as in it will yield half of what field collected unprocessed manure will, is off base IMO. Perhaps the very rare community really has access to manure that has simply been collected, dried, broken up and bagged, but I've never seen it or heard of it.

If you want to use store bought manures, fine. You are in for some experimentation with various brands. At that you will need to use much higher spawn rates than field collected manure calls for.

IME, the only store bought manure I got decent results from was Scott's 3 in 1. First flush yields were comparable to real manure when using roughly quadruple spawn rates. Yield comparisons declined drastically with each successive flush.

Now, perhaps somebody has some specific experience with particular brands that aren't available in my area. But given dozens of brands over the years, and a 50 mile radius of various stores, I wouldn't recomend store bought manure to anybody that didn't simply want to use store bought manure regardless of it's merrits/deficencies.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience