Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: Icelander]
    #14078008 - 03/06/11 09:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Touche'.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedurantz
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14078014 - 03/06/11 09:08 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Poid said:
I hardly make any fallacies, am clear in my wording, don't get frustrated when asked to clarify my positions, and respond to people's points individually; that's a whole lot more than I can say for about 90% of the people that visit this forum. :shrug:

Actually I somewhat agree with this.  The fact that Poid does not get frustrated or pissed of when posting is fairly amazing and rare. I think Poid's one of the best debaters here and he's come a long way since I've been here.

But Icelander some of the topics we are discussing are not done in the traditional debating manner you learn in highschool. Many of the topics we are talking about are abstract concepts for which we have no 'hard evidence' or fact and figures. Some debates are purely philosophical so Poid's debating style is not appropriate to all situations IMO.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: durantz]
    #14078037 - 03/06/11 09:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Nothing is appropriate to all situations. If it's not appropriate then why are you debating him?

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: durantz] * 1
    #14078044 - 03/06/11 09:11 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

learningtofly said:
lol you are so full of yourself. I often see you being critical of irrelevant points...

For example? You often say that I am criticizing irrelevant points when I point out people's spelling errors, or when I point out an error in one's wording; I don't see how trying to clarify a person's position means I'm being critical of irrelevant points.

Quote:

learningtofly said:
...and not backing up your claims

For example? I know for sure I hardly, if ever do this.

Quote:

durantz said:
Quote:

learningtofly said:
lol you are so full of yourself. I often see you being critical of irrelevant points and not backing up your claims

:thumbup:

It's nice to know that you'd rather participate in this Poid-bashing than actually respond to my rebuttal to your point about society being a fictional concept that people create in order to separate themselves from reality, your enthusiasm for actual debate is noted. :thumbup:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Edited by Poid (11/07/12 10:34 PM)

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: Poid]
    #14078070 - 03/06/11 09:15 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

You often say that I am criticizing irrelevant points when I point out people's spelling errors,

You don't see how criticizing an easily recognizable, non-ambiguous speller error is irrelevant? If you understand what the person means to say why does it matter if they misspell something?

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: learningtofly]
    #14078104 - 03/06/11 09:21 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

durantz said:
Many of the topics we are talking about are abstract concepts for which we have no 'hard evidence' or fact and figures.

I don't remember saying that only 'hard evidence' and facts/figures can be used to prove the subject matter of those topics.

Quote:

durantz said:
Some debates are purely philosophical so Poid's debating style is not appropriate to all situations IMO.

All I've been asking is for evidence, I never commented on which kind of evidence I find acceptable; so far, no philosophical evidence has been provided for those topics. :shrug:

Quote:

learningtofly said:
Quote:

You often say that I am criticizing irrelevant points when I point out people's spelling errors,

You don't see how criticizing an easily recognizable, non-ambiguous speller error is irrelevant? If you understand what the person means to say why does it matter if they misspell something?

Well, when it's an easily recognizable error, I usually point it out for shits-and-giggles, not to add to my argument, or detract from another's; lots of us fuck around a bit when we debate each other, but that doesn't make us bad debaters.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Invisiblemushiepussy
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: deranger]
    #14078113 - 03/06/11 09:22 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deranger said:
Quote:

If we visited an alien planet
with a budding society, the best thing we could give them is
physics.

how is this not your subjective opinion and nothing more?

IMO social intelligence would come more in handy.

let nature evolve as it is..

How would you know what social intelligence is on their planet?
Physics, however is universally applicable and these aliens
could easily use and understand it(as long as they have men :wink: )

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: mushiepussy]
    #14078159 - 03/06/11 09:29 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushiepussy said:

I've read somewhere that it's possible that physical laws differ in different sections of the universe...

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

#14078199 - 03/06/11 09:35 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

They do but not by much.

--------------------

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
Loc: off the wall
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: mushiepussy]
    #14078300 - 03/06/11 09:56 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

mushiepussy said:

without social intelligence you wouldn't be able to give them physics, as you wouldn't be able to adapt to new social environments.

how would you communicate the information and our understanding of physics?

Quote:

mushiepussy said:
Social intelligence is subjective, and probablly would
be void with an alien species. Physics, however, is universal and
could bring those the same comfort and security that technology has
given us, all they need is the information.

Edited by deranger (03/06/11 09:59 PM)

Offlinenanomagnetic
cascadian
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Rose City Flag
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: deranger] * 1
    #14078324 - 03/06/11 10:00 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Did anyone take a second look at that article? It's entirely suspect. It references books on Amazon and I'm not seeing any linkbacks from any of Dr. Sabbatini's web pages. 

:puppet:

--------------------
Being an ant is the worst mindfuck ever. They can never hold on to any memories, or come up with any real ideas, or even understand what the fuck is going on, ever.

The Century of the Self: Happiness Machines; The Engineering of Consent; There's a Policeman Inside All Our Heads, He Must be Destroyed; Eight People Sipping Wine in Kettering

Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people, citizens of distant epochs, who never knew one another. Books break the shackles of time. ~carl sagan

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14078338 - 03/06/11 10:02 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deranger said:
Quote:

mushiepussy said:

without social intelligence you wouldn't be able to give them physics, as you wouldn't be able to adapt to new social environments.

Who says that the manner in which you socialize with a certain group of aliens would be similar to the manner in which they socialize amongst themselves? Do you really think teaching them about how to be socially intelligent when interacting with humans would be more important than teaching them about physics? :undecided:

Quote:

mushiepussy said:
Social intelligence...probablly would
be void with an alien species.

Why do you say that?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
    #14078345 - 03/06/11 10:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Icelander said:
Quote:

Poid said:
I hardly make any fallacies, am clear in my wording, don't get frustrated when asked to clarify my positions, and respond to people's points individually; that's a whole lot more than I can say for about 90% of the people that visit this forum. :shrug:

Actually I somewhat agree with this.  The fact that Poid does not get frustrated

it's a different type of frustration IMO.

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
    #14078377 - 03/06/11 10:09 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

deranger said:
Quote:

mushiepussy said:

Who says that the manner in which you socialize with a certain group of aliens would be similar to the manner in which they socialize amongst themselves? Do you really think teaching them about how to be socially intelligent when interacting with humans would be more important than teaching them about physics? :undecided:

it's not the manner, it's the ability..

what would our intelligence be to them if it could not be communicated and translated?

Edited by deranger (03/06/11 10:09 PM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14078442 - 03/06/11 10:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deranger said:
Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

deranger said:
Quote:

mushiepussy said:

it's not the manner, it's the ability..

I'm not too sure what you're saying..are you saying that your ability to socialize with a certain group of aliens would be similar to their ability to socialize amongst themselves? :confused:

Quote:

deranger said:
what would our intelligence be to them if it could not be communicated and translated?

Are you defining 'social intelligence' as the ability to communicate with others and translate their communications?

Why would our social intelligence mean anything to them? I don't think our social intelligence would be of much use to them because their social behaviors would most likely differ drastically from ours; what can they learn from our social behaviors that is more important than physics?

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Invisiblederanger
 User Gallery
    #14078584 - 03/06/11 10:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Why would our social intelligence mean anything to them?

you are right, I don't mean to imply that it would.  hypothetically speaking, if we could give them the information of physics, it would require social intelligence. 

Quote:

It’s not enough just to be clever according to Professor Nicholas Humphrey. Autistic children, for example, are sometimes extremely clever. They're very good at making observations and remembering it all. However, it is argued they have low social intelligence. Chimpanzees are very clever at the level of being able to make observations and remember things. They can remember better than humans can, but they, again, are inept at handling interpersonal relationships. So something else is needed. What is needed is a theory of mind, a theory of how other people work from the inside. For a long time the field was dominated by so-called behaviourism. Scientists thought they could understand human beings, rats, pigeons, just by watching what goes on, writing it all down, doing correlations and so on. It turns out you can't. It has to be thought about in terms of the inner structure behaviour.[11]

Invisiblewow
Lurking master
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: deranger] * 1
    #14078869 - 03/06/11 11:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:  screw you nanomagnetic!!  she gave me a bad rating!!  this proves the point that women are emotional creatures!!  shes not even smart enough to take a joke :lol: :laugh2:  i could care less..  and to show you..  i wont even rate you!!  im more of a MAN than that!!  i believe that the intelligence is irrelevant really..  when it comes down to it just look at the history of the world..  its obvious the things that men and women alike have accomplished..  it may be due to some environmental factors and the upbringing of the girls and whats naturally expected..  but it is a FACT that females act alot more on emotion..  which society understands and accepts..  yea a female might be able to do a job as good as a man.. or better..  but sometimes especially physically they cant..  we as men are born with a braun about us and are made to be protectors and builders of this society more than women..  this is OBVIOUS!!  we are just created this way!!  any female running for government will most likely get very little male vote due to the fact that we are men and dont want to be run by women..  actually, think about the group that would vote for her..  they would be mostly feminists which is just as bad as a male sexist IMO..  im sorry for my joke and that it offended you!  but now im gonna have to join this debate im afraid..  i believe women should be their best just as men and theres nothing holding them back..  its just that most work is done by MAN..  most workplaces are full of men..  who dont want female bosses and the whole male staff would completely malfunction under a female lead..  it is the view of our society and the grain of our wood really..  why go against something that is working for us?  just go with the flow..  we are made a certain way and nobody wants to see a female with a jackhammer or a man in a mollymaid uniform, or a working mom and stay at home dad..  its obviously backwards..  we each have our place in society.. theres no argument here! cmon man..

--------------------

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: wow]
    #14078941 - 03/06/11 11:53 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

holy shit did that just happen

--------------------

Invisiblemushiepussy
 User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: nanomagnetic]
    #14078980 - 03/07/11 12:00 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

nanomagnetic said:
Did anyone take a second look at that article? It's entirely suspect. It references books on Amazon and I'm not seeing any linkbacks from any of Dr. Sabbatini's web pages. 

:puppet:

If your not happy with this article, you could read the dozens
of others that say the exact same thing.
heres one

Invisiblewow
Lurking master
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cloud 9
Re: Men are smarter than women [Re: learningtofly]
    #14079042 - 03/07/11 12:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

i hope she takes that back..  im sorry..  i spoke my mind now tho..  social intelligence is not even factored into the working world either..  its just how things work.. politics inside the workplace play a key factor but mostly inside of our male/female groups exclusively..  males have our politics as do females and it for the most part does not cross gender lines..  AT ALL.. we have our own sex to compete with..  however these lines do touch each other...  and when mates are selected usually a male of higher standing in male politics gets a female of higher standing in female politics..  this is how i see things..  we vary greatly within our own sex for example some men are bums and some are big business same for women..  just a big business women is not desired by most men..  we are afraid of being less powerfull truthfully..  it is accepted that a man be more powerful than a woman and not the other way around for the most part..  if a woman is set out to be better than a man as her purpose than she will never get the chance to enjoy a mans company..  and probably wont even know her problem..  its supposed to work this way IMO..

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order