Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!
Contamination is definately an area of mushroom cultivation I need to educate myself with. Ill prolly spend hours reading about it in the next couple of nights.
But for now, I have a rather simple question I believe directed to only those that are very assured of their answer.
After about day 5 of colonization in 1/2 pint jars, I had a little pea sized black blotch of bacteria deep into the jar where I innoculated at. It was just in the one location in one jar.
Im not a bacteria expert, but i did take 8th grade biology, and im positive it is bacteria.
Days went by without really checking the progress of the jars. Day 9, the jars are about 80% colonized, the jar with the pea sized bacteria appears to have mycelium breaking it up and growing over and into the previous black blotch. It is now very faint and seems to have been overtaken by the white knight, mycelium.
Am I jumping to conclusions about the mycelium fighting the bacteria away? Will this cake be safe in the future? Should i just wait longer to see what exactly happens to the little bit of black tint through the mycelium?
Throwing the cake out is obviously a simple and safe solution, but I let it grow in the past and it seems to be recooperating.
Take the position of an eager noob, from the information provided, what would you do?
-------------------- Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die tomorrow.