Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHector
HECTOR THEINSPECTOR

My Pet Goat's Crazy Scheme!!!!!!!!
    #1407075 - 03/24/03 10:16 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My Pet Goat, named Steve, was planning upon starting a mushroom garden of his own.

Here is how his plan is brewing thus far:

Tomorrow he plans upon purchasing the spores from a reputable internet seller.
He has been investigating the PC Ecuador strain and plans on buying those.

He plans upon using Rye Berry substrate cased in 40/60 Verm/CocoCoir buffered with crushed limestone.

He plans upon using a large Rubbermade? with a 12 inch ceiling and tightly wrapped Saran-Wrap? as a roof and a 1.5 inch perlite floor layer.

He would like to use one metal baking pan PER PINT JAR of substrate, and place them on top of the perlite.

Does Steve's plan sound ok or could it possibly be MODIFIED ? Can Steve combine Jars of substrate or is it better to keep them seperate ? Is Ecuador a fantastic choice, or what ?!?!?!?

Appreciate any help you can give him. Sorry that he is such a goddamn NOOB at all of this but everyone has to start at the bottom.

He has been researching this for about three months and is quite excited to start growing.

--------------------
Hypothetically speaking, of course.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinesi1988crx
Beep beep byebye

Re: My Pet Goat's Crazy Scheme!!!!!!!! [Re: Hector]
    #1407147 - 03/24/03 11:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Equador strain is very nice from what I have heard. I dont think Steve will need the limestone if he is using coco coir as the ph buffer is only necessary for the peat moss as it has a low ph. (Coco coir is ph balanced). Yes, Steve can combine jars to make a larger casing, My friend would suggest Steve have at least a 2" substrate level. My friend combines 2 pint jars for a 8" round container and this gives him a good depth. If your goat uses a metal baking pan on top of the perlite, make sure it is rust proof as it will be exposed to a lot of moisture for a extended period of time.

Oh and as far as using rye berries, I would suggest that you do NOT use them. My friend has tried several times to use rye berries, and every time he has lost them to contams. He followed the directions, let them soak overnight (around 24 hours) then cooked them for proper moisture content, drained them and pc'ed them for 90 min at 15 psi. He does have a few going right now that he has not lost yet, but we will see what will happen. I have heard good reports on Wild Bird Seed (wbs) and some say that the most potent fruits come from wbs and cow dung. Try to follow Six Tango's (6T) wbs recipie and everything should be good. Good luck!

http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/23619 <------ This is the link to the wbs recipie

OfflineHector
HECTOR THEINSPECTOR

Re: My Pet Goat's Crazy Scheme!!!!!!!! [Re: si1988crx]
    #1408412 - 03/25/03 11:34 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

That sounds like a fantastic idea... and cheap too !

DOes anyone have any retorts to this !??!!?!?

Dont be afraid to help Steve out a bit.

--------------------

Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

#1408421 - 03/25/03 11:37 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

See this post. My friend would definitely recommend WBS. Use either SixTango's Tek or use the tek my friend used (it's in the post I linked you to).

--------------------
ha

OfflineHector
HECTOR THEINSPECTOR

Re: My Pet Goat's Crazy Scheme!!!!!!!! [Re: shroominbloom]
    #1416304 - 03/29/03 12:43 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

The Six TAngos (6T) WBS Tek seems to be missing.

Could someone point me in its proper location please.

--------------------

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1416671 - 03/29/03 11:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

My friend does not have a link but he copied this from one of 6T's posts:

6T WBS Tek (Wild Bird Seed) Bulk Spawn Preparation Method.

WBS consists primarily of white millet. It is often a combination of white & red millet - with a small percentage of sunflower seeds and sometimes tiny amounts of crushed corn. Some expensive brands are coated with a fungicide. For use as spawn material, treated WBS is not advisable.

You can find untreated WBS in 5 -10 & 20 pound bags, at low prices at most large chain grocery stores, or chain type pet supply stores. For instance, PetsMart has 40 pound bags for around $9.

Simply place whatever quantity you intend to use in a plastic pot, tub or bucket. Bear in mind, dry seed will expand about 20 to 25% - after it absorbs its capacity of water. Add tap water & soak the seed overnight. A 8 to 12 hour soak is fine. Seed soaked longer will begin to ferment. But, is still usable after soaking 24 to 36 hours.

There is no need to remove any floating husks, or sunflower seeds. These add lignin ( a good thing) & do not harbor any more possible contams than does the millet. It is all going to get thoroughly sterilized - anyway.

Once soaked, simply rinse the seed very thoroughly in a colander, or strainer. Then allow it to drain - WELL. As in 30 or more minutes. If it is drips - one drop. It is not drained - WELL.

Load pint or quart jars ? full, apply internal filter disk, material, polyfil or whatever method you use allow gas exchange through a ? or 3/8 inch hole in the lid. Screw lid on tight & back it off ? turn. Place a double layer of paper coffee filters over the lid & jar top, held down by a thick rubber band. Place the jars in the PC.

PC at 15 pounds for a full 60 minutes. 90 minutes is better, if you have the time. Allow the PC pressure to drop to zero & let it cool a bit. Open while still hot & remove jars. The paper coffee filters will dry almost instantly, when the PC is opened. Tighten lids (if necessary), shake jars to insure there are no clumps of seed inside. Place jars inside the oven on a rack, to cool, overnight. External coffee filters simply add another layer of protection to the jars content.

Once cooled to room temperature, store in a clean cardboard box - until used. Using them sooner than later is preferable. Note: This method was done in an All American PC. Some brands with a weighted pressure system require more internal water & it may be advisable to also cover the coffee filters with tin foil- while PC'ing, so no excess boiling water gains entry into the jars. Simply remove the tinfoil when you remove the jars from the PC.

It works great. Good luck!  :smile:

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation