Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethrice
Stranger
any problem with this? Bulk substrate sterilization.
    #1405835 - 03/24/03 10:16 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I was thinking I would mix my compost and straw together. Get the moisture right. Then put in a oven bag and pc it sterile. Then I would add spawn; wait for the bag to colonize and then put in a tray to case. Can anyone add to this or correct my mistakes? Thanks.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: any problem with this? Bulk substrate sterilization. [Re: thrice]
    #1405845 - 03/24/03 10:21 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

you don't want to sterilize straw or dung. these bulk substrates require only pasteurization, which occurs at lower temperature and leaves beneficial bacteria and makes the substrate more selective to mushroom growth. pasteurization is accomplished by 'cooking' the straw\dung at 160-170 F for an hour, then thoroughly draining. there are teks and descriptions on how to do this all over the place.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1405848 - 03/24/03 10:22 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Alot of people think that you shouldn't PC bulk substrate. The logic is that PCing kills everything and contams can flourish. If you pasteurize, you will leave some beneficial and benign organisms that act as a defense against contams.

Offlinethrice
Stranger
Re: any problem with this? Bulk substrate sterilization. [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1406125 - 03/24/03 12:11 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

I understand that guys. But there is nothing wrong with sterilizing substrate if your going to be keeping it sterile. Thats why I said I would keep it in the oven bag and add spawn directly to the oven bag. The inside should stay clean.

The reason I ask this question is because it seems it would be easier to get your ratios and moisture content correct without having to pay attention to cleanliness, then pc it.

--------------------
"I've got high friends in places".

InvisibleChe_Night_Soil
Koinoniphobic

Loc: Commonslaughtia
    #1406244 - 03/24/03 12:54 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

This guy I know didn't really find pasteurization all that more involved that sterilization...I guess you'll need a candy thermometer, large pot, pillow cases, etc., but, including some thrift store shopping, these are only like ten dollars or so.

--------------------
if(human==autoPart){
for(i=1;i<infinity;i++){
getBorn(mind,soul);
getEdu(mind,soul);
getJob(mind,soul);
retire(mind,soul);
die(mind,soul);
}
}

OfflineMycoGlowFlow
between the walls
Male

Loc: michigan
    #1406275 - 03/24/03 01:04 PM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

I

The reason I ask this question is because it seems it would be easier to get your ratios and moisture content correct without having to pay attention to cleanliness, then pc it.

not really, i find the easiest way to maintain moisture is by pasturizing and soak/sponging out the moisture as needed , thats just my take on it.

--------------------
(the key-strokes that have completed everything ever typed on this user name have been a random coincidence, except for the words in this notation)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags