Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore
    #1404778 - 03/24/03 02:40 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Michael Moore criticized President Bush and the U.S.-led war in Iraq during his acceptance speech at Sunday's Academy Awards, drawing a partial standing ovation and some jeers from Hollywood's elite.

The documentary maker won his first Oscar for "Bowling for Columbine," but he brought the other nominees on stage with him in what he called a show of solidarity for nonfiction during these "fictitious times."

"We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president," Moore said. "We live in a time where we have a man who's sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts."

"We are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you," Moore shouted.

Applause gave way to some boos, as the orchestra began playing to cue the filmmaker to leave the stage.

Afterward, host Steve Martin (news) tried to restore levity.

"It was so sweet backstage, you should have seen it," Martin joked. "The Teamsters were helping Michael Moore into the back of his limo."

"Bowling for Columbine" was Moore's exploration of gun violence in America. The title refers to the fact that gunmen Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold went bowling before they opened fire at Columbine High School in Colorado, killing 12 students and a teacher before turning the guns on themselves.

Asked backstage why he made the remarks, Moore
"I'm an American."

"Is that all?" a reporter asked.

"Oh, that's a lot," Moore responded.

He dismissed the jeers he received, telling reporters: "Don't report that there was a split decision in the hall because five loud people booed."

The rotund, scruffy-bearded activist from Flint, Mich., also directed the 1989 documentary "Roger & Me," in which he pursued former General Motors Corp. boss Roger Smith to confront him about the collapse of the auto industry in Moore's hometown.

He's also the author of the best-selling book "Stupid White Men ... And Other Sorry Excuses for the State of the Nation," which criticizes American politicians for favoring corporate wealth over public well-being.

Scattered appeals for peace and grim reports from the U.S.-led war in Iraq added a sober contrast to Hollywood's traditional night of glitzy self-glorification.

"In light of all the troubles in this world, I wish us all peace," Chris Cooper (news) said during his acceptance speech for best supporting actor for "Adaptation."

Cooper was among several nominees, including Meryl Streep (news) and Martin Scorsese (news), who wore dove peace pins on their formal wear as a silent statement about the war.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

mj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1404785 - 03/24/03 02:48 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Michael Moore, what else needs to be said? Anyone who takes this Bozo seriously has to get their head examined.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Edited by Innvertigo (03/24/03 02:56 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1404788 - 03/24/03 02:49 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

While MM has the right to say what he wishes, he's a pompous little windbag asshole who needs someone to lop off his head and shit down his throat.

Anyone who doesn't let facts stand in the way is beneath contempt.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1404800 - 03/24/03 02:58 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

I happen to agree with what he said and Shame on Mr. Bush.

He is not my president.

mj

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1404802 - 03/24/03 02:58 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Hmm somebody who doesnt agree with you and Inny - He cant be all bad surely Any constructive criticism of him you can offer me - I havent really paid much attention to him.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1404815 - 03/24/03 03:04 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

He is not my president.

sure he is, just as Klinton was mine.

That's gotta kill you  :smirk:

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAldous
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: inside my skull
    #1404817 - 03/24/03 03:05 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Innvertigo:
Michael Moore, what else needs to be said? Anyone who takes this Bozo seriously has to get their head examined.

luvdemshrooms:
While MM has the right to say what he wishes, he's a pompous little windbag asshole who needs someone to lop off his head and shit down his throat.
Anyone who doesn't let facts stand in the way is beneath contempt.

Always the same 2 guys, loud of mouth and short of arguments...

You guys expect to be taken serious?

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1404828 - 03/24/03 03:09 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

He is not my president.mj

Well, unforunately for you, he is your president and making decisions for your country wether you like it or not.

Even though I see what his point is, I have a distaste for the liberalism so prevalent in hollywood. And I am definately not a conservative.

This war is unjust, As it is being waged anyway, I will give him that.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: Aldous]
    #1404830 - 03/24/03 03:10 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

It's been done here already. I have no wish to repeat it again. Look it up if you care to.

Somehow I figure my life will go on even if a fool such as yourself doesn't care for my posts.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: GazzBut]
    #1404840 - 03/24/03 03:16 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

my god are you still obsessed with me? get a puppy of something, sheesh.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Loc: SItting on the Group W Be...
Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: Aldous]
    #1404845 - 03/24/03 03:18 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Very few people take them seriously. Inny will post intelligent stuff occasionally. luv on the otherhand, well, I wouldn't hold your breath. He mainly panders insults towards those who do not agree with his viewpoints.  :smirk:

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: I_Fart_Blue]
    #1404855 - 03/24/03 03:23 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

He mainly panders insults towards those who do not agree with his viewpoints.

Apparantly 70% of the US public agrees with me. i'd take that over any comments MM has to say.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

Re: Academy Awards Anti-War Message from Michael Moore [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1404857 - 03/24/03 03:24 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

I wasn't speaking about you. :wink: Read, boy!

--------------------
"A study of the history of opinion is a necessary preliminary to the emancipation of the mind. I do not know which makes a man more conservative-to know nothing but the present, or nothing but the past." -John Maynard Keynes

OfflinePhred
Fred's son
Male

Loc: Dominican Republic
    #1404863 - 03/24/03 03:28 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Michael Moore proclaims:

"We live in the time where we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man who's sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it's the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts."

"Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you."

This from a man who feels no shame accepting an award for producing a fictitious "documentary".

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=20211&section=COMMENTARY&year=2003&mon

http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html

There's a lot more out there, too. These two will do for starters. The man deliberately lied, went out of his way to lie, spent a huge amount of time and effort creating those lies, then had the gall to complain about "fictitious" stuff. Not only that, he stole an award that belonged to someone who actually produced a documentary.

The man is beneath contempt, and is a prime example of why those outside the US have such low respect for American "cultural" achievements.

As a side note: Charleton Heston could easily, if he chose, sue the pants off that lying troll for libel and leave him destitute. Fortunately for Moore, Heston has some honor.

pinky

--------------------

Edited by pinksharkmark (03/24/03 04:07 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1404865 - 03/24/03 03:29 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Sorry, who's the them you're refferring to?

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1404881 - 03/24/03 03:41 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Well I was saying that not many people take you very seriously, and rightfully so, because a lot of your posts aren't too serious. You offer up something intelligent once in a while and have something worthwhile to say other than the offhand snide remark. The whole insult thing was about luvdemshrooms.

--------------------

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#1404887 - 03/24/03 03:46 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

What's funny is that my "snide" remarks hit the point quite often. Many have no response to why they are in the position they are. I tend not to be too serious here because many here think like a 8 year-old being spoon fed their information from their "daddy". My points, however are intended to be taken seriously and many of them are baffling to some, intelligent to others and painfully honest to those in err. I have never understood the constant ass kissing between members on this site that can't handle the fact that I or others call them on their rediculous views and not say "i respect your point of view".

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by Innvertigo (03/24/03 03:47 AM)

OfflineI_Fart_Blue
Stranger

#1404911 - 03/24/03 03:59 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Sometimes people just may choose not to respond though if something has broken down to a certain level. I know that I abstain from discussions here sometimes because things have broken down to the level of insults. I've got enough shit in the real world that bothers me and pisses me off. I don't need this place to add to it. Maybe too I realize that I am pretty set in my liberal ways, just as you, or other members are set in their conservative ways. No amount of banter on either side is ultimately going to make the other side, "see the light".

I will agree that there aren't a lot of members here who actually are thinkers. Most regurgitate info they hear from their parents or from the news. No true ideas of their own.

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1404921 - 03/24/03 04:05 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

I am sorry but I do not vote. I am a free spirit and no man is my president.

While I may have been born here i am of no state. The earth is my country.

Period.

Bush may be your president,
but he is not mine.

And while I am on the subject, I have never, in my entire life, voted for anyone.

And believe me when I say that i have gotten along fine all of my life without any of them.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (03/24/03 04:13 AM)

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
    #1404932 - 03/24/03 04:15 AM (21 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

I am sorry but I do not vote.

Then you have no right to complain. If you didn't vote then why do you suddenly feel you can complain about who was elected?

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale